Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team | Golden Skate

Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Man. Very selfishly gonna say that as Worlds won't be in Europe anytime soon again its sad to see so many skaters not going :(

Had really looked forward to see their skate live :(

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
And with Tessa/Scott also out, there finally might be Worlds medals for both Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates.

C/B are world silver medalists already but I want another one for them, to make up for the heartbreak in PC :sad21:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And with Tessa/Scott also out, there finally might be Worlds medals for both Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates.

Well Chock and Bates already have two World medals, but I get what you're trying to say -- it would be their first in two years and nice to have after their struggles last season.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Wow. I wonder if this means they're retiring, though I'd be surprised, since they are young.

With two teams that were on the podium at the Olympics out, I wonder who will be on the podium. I think the Italian team and both the other American teams from the Olympics have a shot.

Libby96

Rinkside
It makes me wonder if the Shibs are retiring too. I can see wanting to take advantage of post-Olympic opportunities, but if they do plan to keep competing I can see them losing ground to H/D if H/D medal at worlds.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow. I wonder if this means they're retiring, though I'd be surprised, since they are young.

With two teams that were on the podium at the Olympics out, I wonder who will be on the podium. I think the Italian team and both the other American teams from the Olympics have a shot.

As for the Shibs, retirement wouldn't surprise me simply because I wonder if they have anything else they want to say, artistically, on competitive ice. Like I said on their post Olympic thread, they've weathered some big competitive ups and downs, given us many wonderful programs, and won Olympic medals with outstanding performances which seem to me like wonderful crowning achievements.

I do agree they are young and I do feel they would be well able athletically (physically, mentally, etc.) to continue, but not sure why they'd want to -- again unless they themselves feel they have more they want to "say" or achieve on competitive ice. But as an onlooker and fan, it seems a great time to leave competition in a blaze of glory and go on to dazzle in other ways.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think this will mean C/L on the podium in their swansong.

As long as W/P and G/P get three spots for Canada I will be happy.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Well this generally happens at the World Championships that are held the same year as the Olympics. Not too surprised some top names and medal winners skip it. This has happened as far back as when the 1994 Olympics and the following world championships in Japan that year

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Well this generally happens at the World Championships that are held the same year as the Olympics. Not too surprised some top names and medal winners skip it. This has happened as far back as when the 1994 Olympics and the following world championships in Japan that year

It's just sad cause most of the worlds that follow as far as we know will be outside of europe - so for us european fans its a little sad.
But yeah it was predictable.

As for the shibs retiring: I had sort of hoped that with V/M probably retiring for good now, the shibs saw a better chance of medalling higher?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this will mean C/L on the podium in their swansong.

As long as W/P and G/P get three spots for Canada I will be happy.

Where do you project them to finish?

And, ancientpeas, do you think W/P stick it out for another cycle? G/P probably will, but not so sure about W/P.

MRani

On the Ice
It makes me wonder if the Shibs are retiring too. I can see wanting to take advantage of post-Olympic opportunities, but if they do plan to keep competing I can see them losing ground to H/D if H/D medal at worlds.

Nothing against H/D if they medal, but where exactly were the medalists from 2014 worlds by the time 2018 came around? It’s a long 4 years and results from the post Olympic worlds don’t necessarily hold up for the entire subsequent quad. People have been saying the Shibs will lose ground to this or that team for years without it really coming true.

I don’t think they’re retiring. From their interviews so far, they’ve been quick to point out that they’re young and have another Olympics in them (or five :laugh:)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Where do you project them to finish?

And, ancientpeas, do you think W/P stick it out for another cycle? G/P probably will, but not so sure about W/P.

C/L.. I think it totally depends on how C/B and H/D skate. I'm going to say silver because P/C is a lock for gold. But I think bronze would be a big victory for them. *weighs options*
Right now I'm going to say:
P/C by a lot
H/D
C/L
C/B
In that order. I'm hoping W/P will be 5th and G/P 7th or 8th. That would keep Canada with 3 spots. I'm also hoping S/F have a great worlds.
I think S/B will be 6th or maybe 5th.

I think W/P will skate on to 2020 because worlds is in Canada (and the GPF in '19 is too). Then maybe they retire. I guess it will depend if they can stay healthy. G/P I expect to go to 2022.

Thanks for the bold! :love:

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C/L.. I think it totally depends on how C/B and H/D skate. I'm going to say silver because P/C is a lock for gold. But I think bronze would be a big victory for them. *weighs options*
Right now I'm going to say:
P/C by a lot
H/D
C/L
C/B
In that order. I'm hoping W/P will be 5th and G/P 7th or 8th. That would keep Canada with 3 spots. I'm also hoping S/F have a great worlds.
I think S/B will be 6th or maybe 5th.

I think W/P will skate on to 2020 because worlds is in Canada (and the GPF in '19 is too). Then maybe they retire. I guess it will depend if they can stay healthy. G/P I expect to go to 2022.

Thanks for the bold! :love:

I know you love the bold!

Taking the Olympic results as a benchmark:

W/P finished 7th, G/P finished 8th.

Move up three spots to account for V/M, Shibs, and B/S, would put benchmark to 4 and 5... but remember C/B had their little FD disaster... so worst case, I think is that Team Canada finishes 5 and 6... so they get three.

Best guess at this stage is that Canada and USA are only teams to earn three spots. I don't think the Russians can do it without B/S... and it would have been a long shot even with them.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well you never know how people will skate but.. I mean I'd be thrilled to see W/P on the podium but I'm not sure with the marks they got at the Olympics that they will medal here even if they skate great. I would expect S/B to beat G/P, they did during the GP season. But yes.. hard to think Russia can get more than 2 places. I think the other team is probably going to be around 12th... maybe as high as 10th. That would mean S/B would have to medal to get them three spots.

To boldly go where not pea has gone before.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well you never know how people will skate but.. I mean I'd be thrilled to see W/P on the podium but I'm not sure with the marks they got at the Olympics that they will medal here even if they skate great. I would expect S/B to beat G/P, they did during the GP season. But yes.. hard to think Russia can get more than 2 places. I think the other team is probably going to be around 12th... maybe as high as 10th. That would mean S/B would have to medal to get them three spots.

To boldly go where not pea has gone before.

Duh, I forget to account for them... but I agree that Canada is probably good for earning three spots anyway... and Russia will not... ON PAPER, as you allude.

But I agree with you.. never know what will happen once blade hits ice.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
It's just sad cause most of the worlds that follow as far as we know will be outside of europe - so for us european fans its a little sad.
But yeah it was predictable.

As for the shibs retiring: I had sort of hoped that with V/M probably retiring for good now, the shibs saw a better chance of medalling higher?

I agree....i understand that figure skating has soared in popularity in Asia, but, I think its starting to become so redundant that the huge events are mainly going to be held in Asia. I DONT MIND honestly. But it seems Europe is getting left behind in the hosting major events now.