Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As a side note, why do they let ice dancers on DWTS? Like literally it's not much different. I'm sure ice dancers practice by doing their dances on the floor. And there is significant overlap in the dances. If the Shibutanis did DWTS, I'm almost sure one of them would win.
They're not exactly strict in policing that. I mean, they let Heather Morris on the show, and she was literally a professional dancer.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
not good decision, hawayek/baker are one of the most weakest us pairs. and seems like baker tries to copy charlie white

I am genuinely curious how Jean-Luc is trying to copy Charlie White. Is it the hair (which, he and Charlie are far from the only skaters with longer hair) or just that he is very very good at ice dancing?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
USFS pays for their coaches' travel and hotel expenses (plus, I believe, a daily stipend for food), AFAIK, which is fortunate for the U.S. skaters.
Thanks, Sylvia. Are you saying that this USFS policy applies to all internationals?
Senior Bs, Challengers, and GPs -- in addition to ISU Championships?
And international comps for junior and novice skaters?
Yes, AFAIK.
If it applies to Senior Bs and Challengers, I wonder whether it is one of the reasons that USFS does not send as many skaters to those comps as some fans would like?
I did a count on USFS' International Assignments page (Mentor Torun Cup & Challenge Cup assignments have yet to be added): http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Junior international assignments (excluding JGP): 2 ladies to Asian Open in Hong Kong in early August 2017; 1 lady & 1 pair to Bavarian Open in late January; 1 pair to Mentor Torun Cup in early Feb.; 2 ladies & 1 man to Challenge Cup in late Feb., more TBA?
Novice international assignments: 2 ladies to Asian Open in Hong Kong in August 2017 & a 2nd assignment for Alysa Liu to Challenge Cup; 2 ice dance teams to Bavarian Open

ISU Challengers (skaters assigned to 9 of the 10 events):
Salt Lake City: 4 ladies, 4 men, 4 pairs, 3 dance teams
Lombardia: 2 ladies, 2 men, 1 pair, 1 dance team
Autumn Classic International: 3 ladies(1 WD), 2 men(1 WD), 2 pairs, 1 dance
Nepela: 1 lady, 1 man, 2 pairs, 1 dance
Nebelhorn: 1 man, 1 pair, 1 dance team
Finlandia: 2 ladies, 3 men, 2 pairs, 2 dance teams
Warsaw: 1 lady, 1 man, 2 pairs, 1 dance team
Tallinn: 2 ladies, 1 man, 1 pair(WD), 1 dance team
Golden Spin: 3 ladies, 1 man, 1 pair, 2 dance teams

Number of skaters who were not initially assigned to at least one Senior Grand Prix and competed in at least one Challenger Series event:
9 ladies: Hicks (2 CS assignments) and Glenn (both later got 1 GP as an alternate), Wang (2), Zhang (2), Rydberg, Shilling, Andrews, Ma, Miller;
4 men: Johnson (2), Dolensky, Rabbitt, Moeller;
6 pairs: Cain/LeDuc (2; before they got 1 GP as an alternate), Liu/Johnson (2), Calalang/Sidhu (2), Pfund/Santillan (2), Smith/Reiss, Kayne/O'Shea (after they WD from their 1 GP)
2 dance teams Biechler/Dodge (2), Manta/Johnson

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
USFS just announced Karen Chen and Tarah Kayne and Danny O'Shea have withdrawn from Worlds. Mariah Bell will replace Chen. First alternate, Ashley Wagner, declined the invitation. Deanna Stellato and Nathan Bartholomay will replace Kayne and O'Shea.

According to IFS Magazine.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
USFS just announced Karen Chen and Tarah Kayne and Danny O'Shea have withdrawn from Worlds. Mariah Bell will replace Chen. First alternate, Ashley Wagner, declined the invitation. Deanna Stellato and Nathan Bartholomay will replace Kayne and O'Shea.

It might be tough for the US to keep 3 spots in Ladies this time...

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

WOW :eeking:

Skaters are falling like flies from this event... I don´t remember last Olimpic world (2014) to be like this...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deanna and Nate!:hap57::hap93:

I now have a reason to care about Worlds:biggrin: How many pairs advance to the free, since I’m too lazy to go look it up....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That's cool, but I am cheering for Weaver and Poje to step into the limelight with Scott and Tessa now retiring.