Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Regardless, the poster is confused about the timing. GPF 2018-19 is in Vancouver (December 2018) while 2020 Worlds are in Montreal. Not only are they in different seasons but 2 years apart. Even if they were the same season, not sure why that would be noteworthy--Japan held 2013-14 GPF and 2014 Worlds.

Oh, I see, so GPF in Vancouver is actually 2018 GPF then, this year? I think I knew that but I just forgot :palmf: :thank:

anyanka

Record Breaker
As anyanka said, Anaheim is the location of 2019 Four Continents.

Several months ago, the ISU made a change from the previously announced location of Colorado Springs.

Thanks for the nod! Also, the only thing that annoys me is that it won't be the same time that the new Star Wars "land" is opening. Although that would be, as Bart Simpson said, "pleasure overload!!"

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
What on earth? (Again)

Not the end of the world for the US team though. I'm sure H/D and C/B will have no trouble getting 3 spots and I'm pretty sure one or even both will medal.

And if it's true that the Shibs are going to be on Dancing with the Stars you can watch them there too. Extra dance goodness.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Regardless, the poster is confused about the timing. Vancouver GPF is for 2018-19 meaning it would be held in December 2018 while 2020 Worlds are in Montreal. Not only are they in different seasons but 2 years apart. Even if they were the same season, not sure why that would be noteworthy--Japan held 2013-14 GPF and 2014 Worlds.

oops sorry :slink:
I'll let myself out now

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not the end of the world for the US team though. I'm sure H/D and C/B will have no trouble getting 3 spots and I'm pretty sure one or even both will medal.

And if it's true that the Shibs are going to be on Dancing with the Stars you can watch them there too. Extra dance goodness.

I found an old article that said they planned to continue on after 2018. I really, really hope they are not retiring. And I do love me some H/B.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just thought of this...

H/B should rise nicely in the world standings. They now have the 4CC title, and a good placement (Top 10, I'd bet) at Worlds will do them some good.

They're twelfth at the moment, and I can't see them rising much. Remember that any worlds points would REPLACE the 840 points they got at 4CC (if higher than 840). I can't picture them getting too many points more than that at worlds. Even if they WON, they'd only get 360 more points.

There are 3 teams above them within 360 points of them, and all those teams have less than 840 points in the "worlds" slot, so stand to gain more from similar placements than H/B will.

So, I think they've already done their rising, based on their 4CC result. They are 12th, and that is really good for them!

They should end the season 12th, but may be higher at the beginning of the new season, when 2015/2016 is dropped.

Edited to add: I see Ice Coverage has already covered this. But I'll let it stand because we explain it slightly differently.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I'm excited to see Hawayek/Baker at Worlds - I've been waiting four years for them to have this kind of opportunity. As for the Shibs, while I'm bummed not to see them complete for the podium again at Worlds, I hope this means they have some cool opportunities coming up.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm excited to see Hawayek/Baker at Worlds - I've been waiting four years for them to have this kind of opportunity. As for the Shibs, while I'm bummed not to see them complete for the podium again at Worlds, I hope this means they have some cool opportunities coming up.

Ecstatic for H/B - we'll get to see the sublime Liebestraum again!

klutzy

On the Ice
Having seen H/B FS live, those of you seeing Worlds are in for a treat. Keep in mind that the Shibs were third in the FS at Nationals--HB were fourth. So glad they're getting a shot.

I think, by the way, that the Shibs will retire. As long as P/C are around, I don't see them getting gold at Worlds and they already have silver. H/D are hot on their tail and seem to be rising in the favor of judges (as long as they stay on their feet). Meanwhile, the Shibs have the advantage of being the only American skaters to get an individual medal this year. It's a good note on which to go out. I think, too, that both of them want out of Detroit and to relocate to L.A.--that came through on one of the videos.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
4CC 2019 is in ANAHEIM. Think about it: figure skating AND Disneyland in one big mega-trip. Anyone else all over this idea?!

So all over it that I'm just waiting on a Qantas sale to book the tickets!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Feeling very glad for Aaron to participate in Worlds, but in the same time wondering whether he will be able to shine there... So sorry for Miner, he was not treated fairly regarding the Olympics!!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think, by the way, that the Shibs will retire. As long as P/C are around, I don't see them getting gold at Worlds and they already have silver. H/D are hot on their tail and seem to be rising in the favor of judges (as long as they stay on their feet). Meanwhile, the Shibs have the advantage of being the only American skaters to get an individual medal this year. It's a good note on which to go out. I think, too, that both of them want out of Detroit and to relocate to L.A.--that came through on one of the videos.

I hope not. They had said in the past they intended to continue. But I guess minds may change at any time. And they could always pull a V/M.

MRani

On the Ice
Having seen H/B FS live, those of you seeing Worlds are in for a treat. Keep in mind that the Shibs were third in the FS at Nationals--HB were fourth. So glad they're getting a shot.

Alex outright said not to take their decision about Worlds as an indication of whether or not they plan to continue in the sport. So I wouldn’t be so quick to make assumptions. From their interviews, they definitely haven’t ruled out continuing till 2022.

lappo

Final Flight
I hope H/B get an invitation to the Gala as their exhibition is lovely and funny!

Shani

On the Ice
I think their exhibition was great, and they should expand for their free dance next season. It gives them the personality they have been missing a little of. They need something unique in their competition style.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Other than DWTS, I think Shibs may likely want to take a break. They skated 4 Olympic programs to win 2 Olympic bronze medals. After a shaky GPF and nationals, I'd say this is a huge victory for them.

I think there is a much stronger possibility now that C/L and W/P can both podium. In 2014 OG, they also placed 6th and 7th. Based on the OG results and entries that year, many people thought they would be 3rd and 4th behind I/K and P/B. Then they managed to win the gold and silver (just by a hair) with the help of the lead they had from the SD. In order to make a case for themselves though, C/L need to score better GOEs in their free (their lift exits particularly could be smoother) and W/P need to execute strong, confident twizzles.

This is in Italy so it favors C/L but if there is justice it will be the French, Weapoand B/S or one of the Americans. I say this withthe greatest respect C/L already have a world title they are very lucky to have it the judges easily and with integrity could have given it to Weapo or the But life isn't fair. I wonder if this is Weapo's swan song or will they stick it out to Montreal?

slider11

Medalist
Wow! This is surprising but happily so for me! Actually I would have liked to see the Shibs again this year. But if Gaby and Guillaume are going then there goes the gold. The Shibs have done the Worlds silver-bronze thing. They are such a smart and strategic team. Maybe a step away from hard-core competition and some time with show skating and other entrrepeneurial pursuits is in their immediate future. Maybe they will do a Virtue and Moir thing and step away for a couple years. Other than French gold I don't see a clear podium. I think Anna and Luca are sentimental favorites. Hubbell and Donahue have shown the ability to score high with the judges but consistency is their nemesis. Plus will the hot, steamy stuff score high with all judges? Chock and Bates are another podium possibility but with her injury how hard can they press to prepare? Weaver and Poje might have another sentimental edge with their fabulous "Je Suis Malade". And how about Gilles and Poirier! They are quirky and great! And the other Italian couple are skating on home ice-maybe some points there? I am thrilled for Hawayek and Baker, especially with their Liebestraum FD. That could put them in good stead-maybe not podium- but top 5-7? And Max!!! I am so happy to see Max again! Max, Kaitlin and Lean-Luc have had a few weeks to cool down but hopefully stay strong. Now they can ramp up and show their best! YAY!!