Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team

slider11

Medalist
They're likely in contract negotiations right now. I looked at the timeline for DWTS in 2014 and Meryl and Charlie were unveiled as cast members on March 4, 2014, so the timing would be around right now for the Shibs, if they got it. With ABC also putting on the Oscars on Sunday this weekend, they might promote the cast this weekend with lots of commercials, or they'll wait until Monday or Tuesday next week to confirm the cast.

I also wouldn't be surprised if ABC leaned in with more skaters and potentially add Adam or Mirai to the cast. They'll already be attending so they might figure heavily in some of the pre-show events. My jaw would drop if ABC decides to cast, given the film on her life is up for a few major awards: Tonya Harding.

Sorry for the tangent, but let's watch their social media this weekend and see where the Shibs end up next.

Good sleuthing! I think you have this timeline nailed! Poor Adam and Mirai....they were hoping! If Alex and Maia are included I don't think DWTS will include additional skaters. They'd have to change thier names to Dancing with the Figure Skating Stars!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And Max!!! I am so happy to see Max again! ...

:agree: :dance2: Go, Max :yay:.

I don't know if the Shibs have been invited to DWTS, but on Wed. they were on "Live with Kelly and Ryan" and asked if they would do DWTS if asked. They said yes, if invited.

They're likely in contract negotiations right now. I looked at the timeline for DWTS in 2014 and Meryl and Charlie were unveiled as cast members on March 4, 2014, so the timing would be around right now for the Shibs, if they got it. ...

Good sleuthing! I think you have this timeline nailed! Poor Adam and Mirai....they were hoping! If Alex and Maia are included I don't think DWTS will include additional skaters. They'd have to change thier names to Dancing with the Figure Skating Stars!

Wait ... why "poor Adam and Mirai?"

Why is it likely that the Shibs (as opposed to anyone else) are in contract negotiations right now with DWTS?
What they said on "Kelly and Ryan" does not scream (or even suggest) to me that DWTS already has invited the Shibs.

I will be happy for any skater(s) who eventually are invited by DTWS.
But AFAIK, there is no circumstantial evidence at this point that would lead me to rule anyone out or to rule anyone in.

(Sorry for discussion not on the topic of the thread.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know why anyone would skip Worlds on the off chance they may be invited to DWTS. But I'm not a world class figure skater either.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! This is surprising but happily so for me! Actually I would have liked to see the Shibs again this year. But if Gaby and Guillaume are going then there goes the gold.

I wouldn't give it away that fast. Sure it is likely they will win the gold, but someone may catch an edge and fall. Ice is slippery.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wouldn't give it away that fast. Sure it is likely they will win the gold, but someone may catch an edge and fall. Ice is slippery.

The Shibs were 12.69 points behind P/C at the Olympics. They can afford a fall and still win.

Barb

Record Breaker
I don't know why anyone would skip Worlds on the off chance they may be invited to DWTS. But I'm not a world class figure skater either.

I don´t know about Adam but I think Maia and Alex are skipping Worlds because they are busy right now, they are not training. They are very obsessive with their training, they have not taken vacations for years, I guess they simply don´t want to compete at Worlds when they are not training or resting well at this time.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Adam skated 3 of his best programs at the Olympics and left with a medal. He has been hampered by a shoulder injury. He's 28. He has better opportunities than training for a Worlds at which he won't medal. I can't think of a reason why he would want to go.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think H/B have a chance to move up in the US rankings next season. I see C/B as very vulnerable and perhaps starting to slip. H/B are younger and more hungry and just need to be consistent to move up nationally and internationally.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, it isn't lack of training as they just finished with the Olympics. Does it cost them money to go to Worlds?

I believe skaters pay for their coach’s expenses - air fare, hotel, meals, etc. Depending on the arrangement, they may also pay for the coach’s lost time (ie, for the lessons the coach doesn’t teach because he or she is at Worlds). If a coach has more than one skater, expenses may be split - for example, Mirai and Max will probably split Tom Z’s expenses.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If a coach has more than one skater, expenses may be split - for example, Mirai and Max will probably split Tom Z’s expenses.

Mirai, Max and Vincent - which I suppose will depend on which coach attends for Vincent.

Caustica

Final Flight
Well, it isn't lack of training as they just finished with the Olympics. Does it cost them money to go to Worlds?

Worlds is a month after the Olympics - even if they're in good shape at the Olympics, not training for a month will completely erode that.

I think the money factor BravesSkateFan was referring to was how much DWTS would pay them to participate.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Wait ... why "poor Adam and Mirai?"

Why is it likely that the Shibs (as opposed to anyone else) are in contract negotiations right now with DWTS?
What they said on "Kelly and Ryan" does not scream (or even suggest) to me that DWTS already has invited the Shibs.

The big difference is that Shibs won a bronze medal plus a team bronze medal, Nagasu and Rippon only a team bronze medal, nothing in individual competitions.

brightphoton

Medalist
The big difference is that Shibs won a bronze medal plus a team bronze medal, Nagasu and Rippon only a team bronze medal, nothing in individual competitions.

A team medal is the best Adam could have happened for, and he knew it, thus removing all quads from his programs.

Mirai mightttttttt have squeaked in a bronze medal if other skaters fell and she got her early-career performing abilities back. But for some reason, nerves? stress? she didn't do so well in the individual. Realistically, a lone team bronze medal is very good for her too

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I believe skaters pay for their coach’s expenses - air fare, hotel, meals, etc.
USFS pays for their coaches' travel and hotel expenses (plus, I believe, a daily stipend for food), AFAIK, which is fortunate for the U.S. skaters.
Depending on the arrangement, they may also pay for the coach’s lost time (ie, for the lessons the coach doesn’t teach because he or she is at Worlds). If a coach has more than one skater, expenses may be split
Correct.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USFS pays for their coaches' travel and hotel expenses (plus, I believe, a daily stipend for food), AFAIK, which is fortunate for the U.S. skaters. ...

Thanks, Sylvia. Are you saying that this USFS policy applies to all internationals?
Senior Bs, Challengers, and GPs -- in addition to ISU Championships?
And international comps for junior and novice skaters?

If it applies to Senior Bs and Challengers, I wonder whether it is one of the reasons that USFS does not send as many skaters to those comps as some fans would like?

BTW, nice to see you over here :ghug:.

But whether that difference matters in terms of casting the non-meritocracy DWTS is highly questionable, IMO.

If DWTS ultimately were to choose the Shibs (and to not choose Mirai and Adam), I doubt that the difference in medals would be why DWTS went with the Shibs.
(And I doubt that DWTS ever would give any explanation to the public, so it is unlikely that any basis for its decision ever would be known.)

In the same vein, another non-meritocracy (regarding medals):
NBC offered team bronze medalist Adam a role as correspondent during the Olympics.
NBC did not make the same offer to any gold or silver medalist (from any 2018 OWG sport), AFAIK.
NBC took an interest in Adam at least in part for qualities that were independent of his medal.​
(It is beside the point that Adam turned down the NBC offer in the end.)

I hasten to add that I am not trying to diminish the accomplishment of the Shibs. For me and for other fans on GS, it *is* a big difference that the Shibs won the individual bronze.
Whether it is a big difference to those making casting decisions for a reality show is a completely separate matter.