Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Aaron; Hawayek/Baker added to World team

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The big difference is that Shibs won a bronze medal plus a team bronze medal, Nagasu and Rippon only a team bronze medal, nothing in individual competitions.

But from what I can tell Adam is the best known skater to come out of these games, medals or no.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Worlds is a month after the Olympics - even if they're in good shape at the Olympics, not training for a month will completely erode that.

I think the money factor BravesSkateFan was referring to was how much DWTS would pay them to participate.

I guess I don't see why they couldn't do both as contestants for DWTS aren't even announced until the week of April 9th and Worlds is in March.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing Max again. My guess as to why Ross turned the spot down would be that after he was overlooked for the Olympic team he decided to retire on a very high note. It's the best way to go out IMO.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Is there a listing of all the US athletes scheduled to attend across all disciplines? Just curious what the final team is.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Hawayek & Baker are so talented! I hope they finish higher than Chock & Bates at worlds which I think there is a good chance they do.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there a listing of all the US athletes scheduled to attend across all disciplines? Just curious what the final team is.

Currently:

Ladies
- Bradie Tennell
- Karen Chen
- Mirai Nagasu

Men
- Nathan Chen
- Vincent Zhou
- Max Aaron

Pairs
- Scimeca Knierim/Knierim
- Kayne/O'Shea

Dance
- Hubbell/Donohue
- Chock/Bates
- Hawayek/Baker

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Currently:

Ladies
- Bradie Tennell
- Karen Chen
- Mirai Nagasu

Men
- Nathan Chen
- Vincent Zhou
- Max Aaron

Pairs
- Scimeca Knierim/Knierim
- Kayne/O'Shea

Dance
- Hubbell/Donohue
- Chock/Bates
- Hawayek/Baker

Really surprised Miner even turned down Worlds, after already turning down 4CCs. He must be really bitter about the Olympics snub.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Really surprised Miner even turned down Worlds, after already turning down 4CCs. He must be really bitter about the Olympics snub.

Not necessarily bitter. He did well at nats and since he wasn't chosen for olympics, may have decided to go off on a high note

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Not necessarily bitter. He did well at nats and since he wasn't chosen for olympics, may have decided to go off on a high note

Fair enough. I am just bummed he didnt atleast accept 1 of the 2 though, particularly Worlds. Going to Worlds should be an honor for a skater like him and I like him a lot, and would have just loved to see him do another. He could even conceivably have his best ever Worlds finish if he skates anywhere close to Nationals. Of course he is inconsistent these days, and there is no guarantee it would end up anywhere close to that but still.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Other than DWTS, I think Shibs may likely want to take a break. They skated 4 Olympic programs to win 2 Olympic bronze medals. After a shaky GPF and nationals, I'd say this is a huge victory for them.

I think there is a much stronger possibility now that C/L and W/P can both podium. In 2014 OG, they also placed 6th and 7th. Based on the OG results and entries that year, many people thought they would be 3rd and 4th behind I/K and P/B. Then they managed to win the gold and silver (just by a hair) with the help of the lead they had from the SD. In order to make a case for themselves though, C/L need to score better GOEs in their free (their lift exits particularly could be smoother) and W/P need to execute strong, confident twizzles.

It really depends on Hubbell & Donohue. If they skate well they will beat both W/P and C/L without question IMO. At the Games they had a disaesterous FD and still easily beat both teams who skated fairly well. They have a history of folding under pressure, but this would have to be a pretty big fold to not medal in this field.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It really depends on Hubbell & Donohue. If they skate well they will beat both W/P and C/L without question IMO. At the Games they had a disaesterous FD and still easily beat both teams who skated fairly well. They have a history of folding under pressure, but this would have to be a pretty big fold to not medal in this field.

I like H/D but they have been making big mistakes when they are in the realistically highest position they can obtain in the short dance (ie. 3rd in the short dance at WC2017 and OG2018). I suspect with home advantage that C/L will get a boost in PCS and also W/P as the Canadian #1 in this event. If H/D are 3rd or 4th after the short and skate first, they will have a much better chance at a medal than if they are 2nd after the short and skate last.

nocturnalis

Medalist

Why? He bombs Worlds, which is entirely possible because his Nationals performance was an outlier and not the norm for him, and contributes to the US losing three spots again, he will be dragged until the end of time.

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
Why? He bombs Worlds, which is entirely possible because his Nationals performance was an outlier and not the norm for him, and contributes to the US losing three spots again, he will be dragged until the end of time.

True, that might well have been his thinking, and cant blame him. He would be under a lot of pressure at Worlds to help keep the U.S spots and perhaps he just didnt want to deal with that at this stage.

slider11

Medalist
I personally love the Worlds after the Olympics when some of the top teams/skaters drop out. It gives potentially a whole new look to the podium and lets the bridesmaids be the brides!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I personally love the Worlds after the Olympics when some of the top teams/skaters drop out. It gives potentially a whole new look to the podium and lets the bridesmaids be the brides!

I shouldn't read these threads when I've only just woken up. My brain immediately tried to supply mental images of Max, Jean-Luc and Kaitlin in wedding dresses. :rofl:

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
not good decision, hawayek/baker are one of the most weakest us pairs. and seems like baker tries to copy charlie white

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Well, it isn't lack of training as they just finished with the Olympics. Does it cost them money to go to Worlds?

but they lose training time between Olympics and Worlds due to media obligations...not to mention burnout.

Worlds is a month after the Olympics - even if they're in good shape at the Olympics, not training for a month will completely erode that.

I think the money factor BravesSkateFan was referring to was how much DWTS would pay them to participate.

Yes, that is precisely what I meant. Thank you.

bobbob

Medalist
Other than DWTS, I think Shibs may likely want to take a break. They skated 4 Olympic programs to win 2 Olympic bronze medals. After a shaky GPF and nationals, I'd say this is a huge victory for them.

As a side note, why do they let ice dancers on DWTS? Like literally it's not much different. I'm sure ice dancers practice by doing their dances on the floor. And there is significant overlap in the dances. If the Shibutanis did DWTS, I'm almost sure one of them would win.