Rudy Galindo's Complaint | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo's Complaint

FlyingDutchman

Rinkside
I came here to put on a show while the other guys are just skating around. From an interview on ABC. The words as they stuck in my head. Perhaps Tobel felt the same way. The audience comes first. They are the ones who buy tickets and travel long distances to see a show. They are the ones you hope to hear cheering wildly all through your program. They are the ones moved to laughter and tears, because of your programs more so than your medals. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter all that much if some judge from some country dissed you down with a 4.5 as long as the crowd loved it, every single one of them. Now we have Laurent Tobel from France and just watch him entertain, spoke Peter Carruthers at a long ago Skate Canada. The place was packed to the rafters. Tobel delivered his Austin Powers program in grand fashion with a fire alarm going off in the background. A very fuzzy low def version still exists on you tube.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sorry, I do not understand the post? Are they all quotes from Rudy, or are some your thoughts?

and if you have a link to the fuzzy version, perhaps that would help. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Did Rudy make these comments after a Stars On Ice production? When was this, Laurent Tobel hasn't performed for a very long time.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Confused why this is even relevant anymore? The last time he skated in anything of name was 11 years ago. :shrug: I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Rudy but this isn't something that seems like a conversation piece. :confused:

FlyingDutchman

Rinkside
Sometime in the 90's which seem like yesterday. I think at Nationals. The "just skating around" part I am sure is verbatim.

FlyingDutchman

Rinkside
The choice of conservative abstract program versus acting out a story is a big choice for every skater no matter the decade. Acting out a story with a personal meaning scores big with the audience. When "in character" less likely to be worrying about and choke on jump passes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This thread makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The choice of conservative abstract program versus acting out a story is a big choice for every skater no matter the decade. Acting out a story with a personal meaning scores big with the audience. ..

I can appreciate an entertaining performance, but I can also appreciate a display of skating mastery for its own sake..

Here is Rudy Galindo's greatest competitive performance. Just pure "abstract" skating, but full of emotional content and immensely satisfying, even so. Is he telling the story of the evil Baron in Swan Lake, or is he just flat out winning the National figure skating championship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH9mg_ZneA

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I can appreciate an entertaining performance, but I can also appreciate a display of skating mastery for its own sake..

Here is Rudy Galindo's greatest competitive performance. Just pure "abstract" skating, but full of emotional content and immensely satisfying, even so. Is he telling the story of the evil Baron in Swan Lake, or is he just flat out winning the National figure skating championship?

I think both. :laugh: Thank you for this, watching it is still thrilling all these years later.

FlyingDutchman

Rinkside
Now I seem to recall, Rudy prepared a sophisticated IS, interpretive skate, for a Pro-Am event while the other Olympic eligible guys just brought a watered down version of their ISU Free Skates, hence the complaint. I think it was one of those TNT Specials.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes and Yes. :)

High-level Athleticism, Musicality, Movement/Choreography, Performance Quality.

All of these extremely high performance factors are elevated into Art by an expression of Emotion that emanates from the skater(s) and transfers to responsive audience members and viewers so that they get to experience and be in the presence of something that far transcends the individual factors that make up the sport of figure skating.

You know when you're in the presence of someone for whom the emotion, experience, and audience response make a skating program so much more than the sum of its parts. It's when a figure skating program is elevated and becomes something so much more. It's a story, it's art, it's performance art which blends with skater's personality and expression. It's when skaters make you care about them personally, but through their programs. It's when the skater gets energy back from the audience that then feeds their performance even more.

Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot. Javier Fernandez. Ashley Wagner. Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron. Jason Brown. Yuzuru Hanyu. Carolina Kostner. And since February, I have to add Valentina Marchei and Ondrej Hotarek. They reached that peak; and it was emotion that carried them over the top.

These are some of the current skaters who have reached that pinnacle of performance. They elevate the sport. And when it all comes together for them, it results in timeless, thrilling performances like Rudy's that will absolutely never grow old and never stop thrilling.

I think that's what the "Rudy's complaint" of the thread title is about. When a figure skater is always aiming and striving for that marriage of technique, quality of movement/performance, and emotion that is the breath of inspiration that transforms it into something more .... we know it, we feel it, and we are on their side. We're giving, and we're receiving something extraordinary in return.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

I never understood that reference to the Baron. What exactly in Rudy's performance has anything to do with the Baron???? He's just skating around to Swan Lake being artistic IMO. Every year growing up I either watched or danced in SL. I was surprised when Dick mentioned that reference because you'd think he'd be thinking the same thing and just wouldn't bring that up...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
All French male skaters are cool! The next one was Phillippe Candeloro. :rock:

Speaking of Austin Powers, Here are Kaitlin Hawayak and Jean-Luc Baker this year. If they medal at Worlds, we'll get to see it again. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDp5ndAEsFY

YOU just like Candeloro cause you look like him with your shirt off....:agree2:
Rudy is a showman for sure...once you see YMCA you are hooked.....
And if Jon Jackson's comments in his book about what Rudy had to endure in the world of USFS are anywhere true, my hat is off to him for oh so many things.....

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Haha. Candeloro is unique. I for one loved his d'Artagnan skate in 1998. He may not have been the best technicially even then, but his 'duel' is a thing to be remembered for all time!