Rudy Galindo's Complaint | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo's Complaint

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never understood that reference to the Baron. What exactly in Rudy's performance has anything to do with the Baron???? He's just skating around to Swan Lake being artistic IMO. Every year growing up I either watched or danced in SL. I was surprised when Dick mentioned that reference because you'd think he'dy be thinking the same thing and just wouldn't bring that up...

My idea is that Rudy thought of bringing out the Baron's ruthlessness and manipulation (things sweet Rudy clearly has very little of!:)) ... not to portray a story or a character, but to inspire in himself the technical, fierce performance that he needed. The passion and emotion and belief, Rudy could always supply, and it all came together in that moment.

Rudy probably shouldn't have said that to Dick ... except that's Rudy, that's his personality. He tends to be open and honest, and it could have just slipped out. Fortunately it didn't backfire ... really, nothing could have marred that performance.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thanks for posting this link, Mathman. I hadn't watched that in years, and it's as electric and joyful as ever. I saw Rudy skate it in person, and it was, and still is, simply everything a figure skating performance should be. I mean, everyone went crazy.

It was actually a moment I can almost ... but not quite ... compare to 2015 US Nationals, when Ashley won with Moulin Rouge. It was like everyone in the audience was swept off their feet by a supernatural force or something.

One of my pet peeves is when people say "show skating" sneeringly. As if technique, power, charisma, and musicality had nothing to do with skating in shows.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's Rudy's interview with TSL, (Jenny and Dave), which is one of the most inspiring, in my opinion. Rudy takes the high road in absolutely everything he says ... even while sharing his darkest moment.

Actually I'm not 100% sure this is the one I'm remembering. This is only an audio interview. But here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JXvcnpdlQs

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sorry, I'm confused what is this about? Why the Skate Canada reference? Makes no sense

Sorry, I'm confused what is this about? Why the Skate Canada reference? Makes no sense

The OP mentioned Laurent Tobel's performance at 1999 Skate Canada as an example of a performance that was crowd-pleasing even though it did not win a medal. The tie-in with Rudy Galindo was just that Galindo said on other occasions that he, too, skated for the audience.

I never understood that reference to the Baron. What exactly in Rudy's performance has anything to do with the Baron???? He's just skating around to Swan Lake being artistic IMO. Every year growing up I either watched or danced in SL. I was surprised when Dick mentioned that reference because you'd think he'd be thinking the same thing and just wouldn't bring that up...

I hesitate to bring this up, but I think that Dick Button's comment was part of the push in those days to emphasize how manly male figure skaters are. Swan Lake is a woman's vehicle, so they didn't want anyone thinking, how come this guy is skating to ladies' music? Similarly, when Michael Weiss performed, TV commentators never failed to mention that he had a wife and children.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The OP mentioned Laurent Tobel's performance at 1999 Skate Canada as an example of a performance that was crowd-pleasing even though it did not win a medal. The tie-in with Rudy Galindo was just that Galindo said on other occasions that he, too, skated for the audience.

Oh, thanks for the clarification.