Is this skate right for me? | Golden Skate

Is this skate right for me?

SnowLily

Rinkside
Hi! I'm new on this forum :laugh:
So about a month ago, we went to some shops to find some skates.
Just for reference, I am 4'11" and about 72 lbs.
Shop 1 recommended the Jackson Competitor DJ2470 with the Aspire XP blade. The salesperson was a figure skater and seemed to know her stuff
Shop 2 recommended the Jackson Elle DJ2130 with the Mirage blade, and that's what we got. The salesperson was a hockey player with 25 years of experience fitting skates.
However, after searching (and lurking around here for a bit), I read that the Jackson Elle was a "beginner advanced" skate. I am working on my flip and loop, and spins like my sit spin. I'm not sure that I could continue on the Jackson Elle?.... Or, is there another skate you would recommend? Would the Jackson Freestyle be a better option?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shop 1 recommended the Jackson Competitor DJ2470 with the Aspire XP blade. The salesperson was a figure skater and seemed to know her stuff
Shop 2 recommended the Jackson Elle DJ2130 with the Mirage blade, and that's what we got. The salesperson was a hockey player with 25 years of experience fitting skates.
However, after searching (and lurking around here for a bit), I read that the Jackson Elle was a "beginner advanced" skate. I am working on my flip and loop, and spins like my sit spin. I'm not sure that I could continue on the Jackson Elle?.... Or, is there another skate you would recommend? Would the Jackson Freestyle be a better option?

Instead of reiterating everything all over again: Try this thread first https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?68910-Upgrade-Jackson-skates-help-which-model

tothepointe

On the Ice
Since you've already been skating in your new skates for a month I assume there is no possibility of returning them. Unless they are already breaking down or causing you pain I wouldn't suggest upgrading and having to break in and adjust again. Just wait until it's time for new boots again.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But if she's doing skills too advanced for the boot she is currently in that could lead to the boot not being able to support her and breaking down as well as chance of injuries.

treesprite

Final Flight
But if she's doing skills too advanced for the boot she is currently in that could lead to the boot not being able to support her and breaking down as well as chance of injuries.

I agree. The Elle isn't really intended to be used for jumps beyond waltz jumps. I actually know a woman who had been using Elles, and as soon as she started working on just single jumps, she started having ankle problems due to the lack of support. Perhaps that model would be okay for a tiny child for higher level jumping, but not a teen or adult. Skating is a high risk sport, and there is no reason to raise that risk. The only reason I can imagine for someone wanting such unsupportive boots for higher level skating, is to save money. I would rather spend money on skates than doctor bills, suffering, and time off the ice to recover from the outcome of having a lack of common sense.

SnowLily

Rinkside
Not currently. We just moved, so we are trying to find a new coach. (I'm not self-teaching jumps, just trying not to lose all my skills :laugh:)

SnowLily

Rinkside
I agree. The Elle isn't really intended to be used for jumps beyond waltz jumps. I actually know a woman who had been using Elles, and as soon as she started working on just single jumps, she started having ankle problems due to the lack of support. Perhaps that model would be okay for a tiny child for higher level jumping, but not a teen or adult. Skating is a high risk sport, and there is no reason to raise that risk. The only reason I can imagine for someone wanting such unsupportive boots for higher level skating, is to save money. I would rather spend money on skates than doctor bills, suffering, and time off the ice to recover from the outcome of having a lack of common sense.

Thanks for the reply! Well I'm 13 but I'm very tiny for my age...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you were to go with Riedell skates, there are three skates that could work for you; 255 Motion, 229 Edge or 223 Stride.

When you're about to start learning your Axel, you'll want to move up to the Bronze Star Model 43 (because you're so light)

https://ice.riedellskates.com/

If she chooses a riedell she should just go with the bronze star from the start then she won’t need boots so often. JMHO.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She's a very light skater; she posted her weight in this thread.
I understand and read that. I would rather she gets skates rated for at least her axel instead of having to get new skates again soon after, she’s already got her loop etc, and would hate to see her get injured. YMMV.

singerskates

On the Ice
I understand and read that. I would rather she gets skates rated for at least her axel instead of having to get new skates again soon after, she’s already got her loop etc, and would hate to see her get injured. YMMV.
Didn't notice that she's got a loop. So yeah, if she were to chose Riedell, I'd go with the Bronze Star or the 255 Motion also does singles and doubles but the firmness at 70. Although, because she's so light and tiny (not knowing if her foot size will fit in the youth version up to size 3.5) I'm wondering if she would fit in the Model 43, also would the stiffness be too much for her as both the Bronze Star 435 and 43 are rated 80 on Riedell's website.

What about the Jackson Series? I use to have Competitors but broke the down in 6 month. My friend is skating in the Premiere which does singles and doubles but what is the firmness rating? Are they stiffer, the same or not as stiff as the Competitor boots?

Yeah, I did see that Elle boots are only for up to half jumps. Why they sold them to her, I don't know other to force her to come back in a month to buy knew boots again. She might want to search for another figure skating shop. If you live in the Metro Toronto area Figure Skating Boutique is a good choice.

singerskates

On the Ice
Didn't notice that she's got a loop. So yeah, if she were to chose Riedell, I'd go with the Bronze Star or the 255 Motion also does singles and doubles but the fireness at 70. Although, because she's so light and tiny (not knowing if her foot size will fit in the youth version up to size 3.5) I'm wondering if she would fit in the Model 43, also would the stiffness be too much for her as both the Bronze Star 435 and 43 are rated 80 on Riedell's website.

What about the Jackson Series? I use to have Competitors but broke the down in 6 month. My friend is skating in the Premiere which does singles and doubles but what is the fireness rating? Are the stiffer, the same or not as stiff as the Competitor boots?

Yeah, I did see that Elle boots are only for up to half jumps. Why they sold them to her, I don't know other to force her to come back in a month to buy knew boots again. She might want to search for another figure skating shop. If you live in the Metro Toronto area Figure Skating Boutique is a good choice.
Yeah, I did see that Elle boots are only for up to half jumps. Why they sold them to her, I don't know other to force her to comack in a month to buy knew boots again. She might want to search for another figure skating shop. If you live in the Metro Toronto area Figure Skating Boutique is a good choice.

This link will show you where you can buy Riedell's...
https://www.shop-ice.riedellskates.com/dealerlocator

Sibelius

On the Ice

Good opinions in here from very reliable sources, but I'll let you know that my daughter wore the Elle's for about 9 months working loops, flips and Lutzes. She is 9, about 4'5" and weighs 66 pounds. She didn't put a dent in them. That said, since starting working on her Axel she's moved to the Debut Fusion and she's more confident on jumps. Her fitter, considered one of the best out there, always "underboots", especially younger and smaller skaters, almost all are working the same jumps in that Elle. You should be ok in them for awhile since you've already bought them, but probably start looking for other alternatives as you move closer to Lutz and to Axel. The Debut Fusion from Jackson comes in 2 flavors, standard (replaced Freestyle as boot only) and Firm (replaces Competitor). Also Jackson has reintroduced the Premiere which is stiffer than both. The fit on the Debut models is almost exactly the same as the Elle, so if that fits you well you should be very comfortable in the Debut Fusion models. My skater had no break in issues at all.

One thing we did change while she was in her Elle's was the blade. Changing blades made a huge difference in her spins. Move on to an intermediate freestyle blade from the stock Mirage as soon as you want to spend the money. If you do that you can get the next skate as a boot only and you just move the blade, assuming your feet have stopped growing and the blade will fit on the next boot.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Didn't notice that she's got a loop. So yeah, if she were to chose Riedell, I'd go with the Bronze Star or the 255 Motion also does singles and doubles but the fireness at 70. Although, because she's so light and tiny (not knowing if her foot size will fit in the youth version up to size 3.5) I'm wondering if she would fit in the Model 43, also would the stiffness be too much for her as both the Bronze Star 435 and 43 are rated 80 on Riedell's website.

What about the Jackson Series? I use to have Competitors but broke the down in 6 month. My friend is skating in the Premiere which does singles and doubles but what is the fireness rating? Are the stiffer, the same or not as stiff as the Competitor boots?

I’d keep her in a Jackson since they seem to be working for her. The reason she was fitted wrong was due to the hockey guy fitting her.
OP, I was very tiny at your age too and never underbooted, please go see a reputable figure skate only experienced fitter in your area

For a short time your current skates could work but that axel will change things. Good luck! :)

SnowLily

Rinkside
Thank you to everyone that replied!
So all my skates in the past have been Jackson skates, and they worked well for me. I've never tried Riedell skates, probably because the rental skates at my old skating rink were Riedell, and I HATED them. I'm sure their other skates are different, but I've just always had that against Riedell. I might try them next time though!

I'm a 5.5B, on Jackson Competitor and Jackson Elle when we tried them on. Is the jump rating meant for adults?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you to everyone that replied!
So all my skates in the past have been Jackson skates, and they worked well for me. I've never tried Riedell skates, probably because the rental skates at my old skating rink were Riedell, and I HATED them. I'm sure the other skates are different, but I've just always had that against Riedell. I might try them next time though!

I'm a 5.5B, on Jackson Competitor and Jackson Elle when we tried them on. Is the jump rating meant for adults?

You don't want the elle, it's only rated for half rotation jumps.

I would stay with Jackson boots. The other brand you could try are Risport.

Also, Riedell rentals are completely different from their competitive boots.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The other fitter recommended the Jackson Competitor, that's probably better for me right?

Yes, if you can find them. Or you're going to have to move to boot and blade separate. The boot in that case I would look at is Debut Fusion Firm or something rated for doubles. Good luck!