Is this skate right for me? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is this skate right for me?

tothepointe

On the Ice
It is the strong opinion of our fitter that Jackson is under rating their boots for whatever (she thinks cynical) reason they might have. After seeing how the Elle lasted, well past "half jumps", I have to agree with her on that point for that specific boot. I had my doubts and kept looking for creases and break down that never happened. Her opinion is that, if the boot doesn't break down before they are outgrown it's the right stiffness for that level/size of skater. You disagree. I value that disagreement and I will keep pushing the question, but won't she get injured without more support?

I swear they changed all the ratings in the last 12-18months. Mainly because I've gone through so many pairs of boots I've poured through the website quite a few times in the last two years. When i bought the Debuts when they first were released the copy stated they were good for doubles now it's suggested up to an axel. The current flyer recommends the Elle for "beginning private lessons" whatever that means.

http://www.jacksonultima.com/static/images/jackson_outfits.pdf

Regardless I'm sorry you had to waste your money on skates that weren't appropriate for you. Unfortunately all to common for a variety of reasons. But its not as bad as buying a pony that turns up lame.

AndreaRu

On the Ice
I swear they changed all the ratings in the last 12-18months.

Their whole line has changed a lot and it seems pretty confusing to me now. We have a rental program in the area and I am pretty sure they used to have Elles and Freestyles (it changed hands and they have Mystiques and Freestyles now). I'm pretty sure I've seen a dozen girls wear Elles all the way up to starting to work on the axel before switching to Freestyles (if I recall correctly). We never did the rental program, but I've tied a lot of skates for the younger ones over the years and that's what my memory is telling me.

SnowLily

Rinkside
I swear they changed all the ratings in the last 12-18months. Mainly because I've gone through so many pairs of boots I've poured through the website quite a few times in the last two years. When i bought the Debuts when they first were released the copy stated they were good for doubles now it's suggested up to an axel. The current flyer recommends the Elle for "beginning private lessons" whatever that means.

http://www.jacksonultima.com/static/images/jackson_outfits.pdf

Regardless I'm sorry you had to waste your money on skates that weren't appropriate for you. Unfortunately all to common for a variety of reasons. But its not as bad as buying a pony that turns up lame.
Hmm, yeah. I thought they would at least last to a Lutz, but seeing what happened, it's probably not. Of course they didn't completely break down, I just meant at the rate the "breaking down" is going at, they're not gonna last.
It seems like with many people, they get fitted wrong. But they can't return them after they've already skated in them. Feels like there should be some liability for fitting skates? These things are $100-$600 and more, so if you get fitted wrong, you've just wasted a ton of money. I guess they're like, "who told you to trust my opinion", but that's not fair...

SnowLily

Rinkside
Their whole line has changed a lot and it seems pretty confusing to me now. We have a rental program in the area and I am pretty sure they used to have Elles and Freestyles (it changed hands and they have Mystiques and Freestyles now). I'm pretty sure I've seen a dozen girls wear Elles all the way up to starting to work on the axel before switching to Freestyles (if I recall correctly). We never did the rental program, but I've tied a lot of skates for the younger ones over the years and that's what my memory is telling me.
Some people say that you can work up to an axel with an Elle. My skates twisted in a flip... Could it be a different model? Mine is DJ2130

AndreaRu

On the Ice
Some people say that you can work up to an axel with an Elle. My skates twisted in a flip... Could it be a different model? Mine is DJ2130

I really think that what you are experiencing is a tying issue, not a breakdown/support issue. Having seen an Elle and tied it for others, I honestly don't think the leather is twisting, especially not a relatively new one. Eventually the boot might crease and soften as is breaks in, but that won't feel like the whole thing twists. The feeling of twisting or moving on the ankle tells me it's too loose, not that you managed to break down a boot in a couple weeks time. There is no doubt that Jackson is generous in rating their boots -- that's just a smart thing to do to cover all ends of the spectrum and manage their liability. There is no way they would release a boot that would literally just crumple on a single but be totally fine on a waltz. There isn't a magical line where a boot just breaks immediately.

SnowLily

Rinkside
I really think that what you are experiencing is a tying issue, not a breakdown/support issue. Having seen an Elle and tied it for others, I honestly don't think the leather is twisting, especially not a relatively new one. Eventually the boot might crease and soften as is breaks in, but that won't feel like the whole thing twists. The feeling of twisting or moving on the ankle tells me it's too loose, not that you managed to break down a boot in a couple weeks time. There is no doubt that Jackson is generous in rating their boots -- that's just a smart thing to do to cover all ends of the spectrum and manage their liability. There is no way they would release a boot that would literally just crumple on a single but be totally fine on a waltz. There isn't a magical line where a boot just breaks immediately.
Okay I'll try tying it tighter, and possibly a new blade because I couldn't get very high on my jumps even with force

Gigi99

Rinkside
Hi - I didn't realize a more advanced boot was needed for the axel and above jumps.

My DD learned her lutz, flips and now axel in her Jackson Elles. She's about to outgrow them - too. They served her well!! But, now I guess it's time to boot/blade - upgrade.