Trusova and Quads | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Trusova and Quads

cheerio2

On the Ice
This is kind of in the spirit of the realignment in the IJS generally. In 6.0, it was 50% tech, 50% performance. It was rare that there was a big difference, because the judges could just make it come out approximately even if they wanted to.

In the IJS, it is 50% tech (base values plus GOE), 30% presentation (choreography, interpretation and presentation), and 20% overall skating (SS and TR). When someone like Kostner gets higher PCS than TES, it is in part because she is a better ice skater (a technical category), not just because of being graceful and performing an emotionally and esthetically satisfying program.

Conversely, a big jumper who also has good skating skills and transitions won't be too far off, even if her artistry is immature.

Skating skills and transitions are also subjective to a large extent. That is demonstrated by the fact that skaters generally receive similar scores across all 5 PCS factors. I've never seen a skater score a 9 in skating skills but a 6 in everything else, or vice versa. As far as transitions go, according to the scores Carolina had more/better transitions than anyone else, but I don't see how that's possible when she does more crossovers and more telegraphing into jumps than many others. Skating skills is quite subjective too. Continuing with the Carolina example, she got 7s in skating skills 2010 and earlier, Yuna and Mao were placed way ahead of her in skating skills. But then at Worlds 2013 few years later suddenly her skating skills were as good or better than Yuna's. (Not criticizing her, I think Carolina was underscored in those earlier years).

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Scherbakova will soon continue learning 4T. She has already restored all her other jumps.
This was a very interesting interview but this really is the most important part to me. That she's in such a good condition that she'll go back to practicing the quad for the next season. I really hope that she can get it in order. Sasha needs some competition at the juniors.

russianfan

Match Penalty
This was a very interesting interview but this really is the most important part to me. That she's in such a good condition that she'll go back to practicing the quad for the next season. I really hope that she can get it in order. Sasha needs some competition at the juniors.

Well, when Sasha couldn't land that 4S she had a pretty good competition with Kostornaya. But when she finally landed it - competition is over :biggrin:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
So next season when she has 4Lutz and 3A ready to go, here's a layout:

4Lz
4T
4S
--
3A
3Lz-3Lo
3Lz-1Lo-3F
3F-3T

One can always dream, right? But it would be so cool to see a -1Lo-3F combo actually be optimal. This layout would be workable even with a planned UR fall on the 4Lutz. Well, perhaps not with the rule changes...

Base value would be a respectable 93.6.

bobbob

Medalist
Is this the beginning of a quad revolution for women? Or will it be an isolated quad like Miki Ando's?

moriel

Record Breaker
So next season when she has 4Lutz and 3A ready to go, here's a layout:

4Lz
4T
4S
--
3A
3Lz-3Lo
3Lz-1Lo-3F
3F-3T

One can always dream, right? But it would be so cool to see a -1Lo-3F combo actually be optimal. This layout would be workable even with a planned UR fall on the 4Lutz. Well, perhaps not with the rule changes...

Base value would be a respectable 93.6.

I actually think that maybe quad+combo could be more interesting. Would make the program more balanced, and she would be maybe less tired by the end of the program?

Grin

Medalist
This phenomenal young lady has freakish talent. The question is does her coach Eteri hold her back or turn her loose on the competition including some of her teammates on the senior level?

Eteri: holding back? What is it?

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
7) They think Kostornaya also has a good chance of jumping quads/3A, Daniil says on the floor she jumps higher than any of their girls, may be even higher than boys too. Right after she went off the ice at JWC she said "We will learn quads when we come home".

:hap57:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Eteri: holding back? What is it?

oh yeah coach eteri does not hold them back she lets them go for the gold. But Sasha is so young only 13 she must be protected from doing too much too soon since she won't be on the senior level for 2 years anyway.

moriel

Record Breaker
One thing

When people say Trusova is just a kid and will not keep her jumps after puberty, there is a huge but.
She is very young. She will keep those jumps basically for next 3 seasons.

For the next 3 seasons, there will be a lady who can put out a 90+ TES with some consistency, and is capable to skate everything else clean even if she makes mistakes on her money jumps, and also getting high GOE on her elements and decent PCs.

The only way to beat her is to also learn quads. Even with change of the GOE scale, it is not like her GOE will be low. There is basically nothing to compensate this difference.
This means that other girls will have more pressure to learn quads and to do them in competition.

Evolution of figure skating, yay!