Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamamiia

Medalist
I don't think think the general public cares too much about 4 Continents ;) which is unfortunate because it could really be a high profile competition (like Europeans), but right now it seems to get no attention. Mirai was a reigning two-time 4 Continents medalist but I was surprised to see the pre-Olympic media not mention it even once.

I think the general public cares first and foremost about the Olympics (with Yuzuru being the reigning Olympic champion), Worlds (where Yuzuru also won, beating Nathan, who came in 7th), and a small, small fraction of them care about the Grand Prix Final (where, once again, Yuzuru has won 4 times in a row, once again beating Nathan).

No, people ask who won last time, and then who won before that, perhaps wouldn't even bother to go further. My point is, you really have to DOMINATE to be called "dominant" and that's not what I saw here.

narcissa

Record Breaker
No, people ask who won last time, and then who won before that, perhaps wouldn't even bother to go further. My point is, you really have to DOMINANT to be called "dominant" and that's not what I saw here.

If you didn't think the reigning World and Olympic champion, who won 2x gold and 2x silver medals in the last four years, the only man to stand on the World podium every single year, the only man to break a world record the entire season, who owns 12 World records and is the only person to break any records since 2013, and who won a record 4 straight Grand Prix Finals from 2013 until 2017, should be considered dominant over a teenager with no World or Olympic medals at all, then you see what you want to see, I guess.

Let's not even get into the strawman of whether or not Yuzuru's been dominant. The point is, Nathan was not and has never been dominant over Yuzuru, so saying it's "Nathan's gold to lose" is what's inappropriate here.

Mamamiia

Medalist
If you didn't think the reigning World and Olympic champion, who won 2x gold and 2x silver medals in the last four years, the only man to stand on the World podium every single year, the only man to break a world record the entire season, who owns 12 World records and is the only person to break any segment or combined records since 2013, and who won a record 4 straight Grand Prix Finals from 2013 until 2017, should be considered dominant over a teenager with no World or Olympic medals at all, then you see what you want to see, I guess.

Let's not even get into the strawman of whether or not Yuzuru's been dominant. The point is, Nathan was not and has never been dominant over Yuzuru, so saying it's "Nathan's gold to lose" is what's inappropriate here.

I think in sports recency matters more than history.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Funny, this is the first time I've heard someone use a head to head statistic in figure skating like this :laugh: Figure skating isn't tennis; not all competitions are created equal. On that note, skaters don't maintain their seasonal peaks for very long, and learning how to peak at the right time is part of the competition.

Yuzuru: NHK 2017, GPF 2017, Worlds 2017, Olympics 2018
Nathan: 4CC 2017, CoR 2018

Am I missing one? :biggrin:

Didn't Nathan win the 2017 GPF?

narcissa

Record Breaker
I think in sports recency matters more than history.

I don't think it's that simple, and at the Olympics the sports betting numbers would not have agreed with you there... but that's really all I have to say on this topic :laugh:

narcissa

Record Breaker
yeah, but Yuzuru wasn't there thanks to the 2017 NHK ankle injury, etc. Narcissa was listing recent times they've competed against each other.

Sorry my years were wrong, 2016 NHK instead of 2017 etc. :palmf:

yude

Record Breaker
I think it is great there are people who became fans of figure skating thanks to Nathan. That happened to many people when they saw Yuzuru in Sochi Olympics and this Olympics, too.

And I also think it is great to have favorite skaters, actually I have been having so much fun following my favorite for years. But at the same time, I'm trying to keep in mind that there are many good skaters besides my favorite, which makes this sport interesting and exciting :)

seimei

On the Ice
this thread.. :palmf:
as a yuzu fan, I admire nathan's technical ability. so unreal and exceptional. He has pure tech among top men and personality.
I had thought he's gonna 18 OGM since 17 US nationals. I knew yuzu's ability, but due to injury and low BV, I didn't think he could be OGM again, but he did.
and after 2018WC, I still predict nathan's gonna 2022 OGM if he focus FS more than study.
I haven't think yuzu is dominant skater as yagudin, plushenko even chan. yuzu's season pattern/injury is really repetitive. this is why he don't have many gp wins (esp, SC) and 4cc wins. but his will of winning is really fierce and I have never seen any athlete who show strong and honest will to win, and say " risk whole life for OGM." Yuzu's rival has changed a lot. Ryuju, Gachinski, Han, Ten, Daisuke, Chan, Machida, Fernandez, Uno, Jin and Chen. etc
I don't know yuzu's or nathan's future plan, but I think they respect each other and each nation's media respect their rivals, too. So I hope fans respect them ,too!
next season will be interesting with rule changes. if yuzu and chen keep their competitive mind and health...

Danibellerika

Medalist
I think it is great there are people who became fans of figure skating thanks to Nathan. That happened to many people when they saw Yuzuru in Sochi Olympics and this Olympics, too.

And I also think it is great to have favorite skaters, actually I have been having so much fun following my favorite for years. But at the same time, I'm trying to keep in mind that there are many good skaters besides my favorite, which makes this sport interesting and exciting :)

Yeah. The mens discipline this past quad has excited me the most because there's a variety of really talented guys and really for me there isn't a big enough podium. They all have their own styles and abilities they can bring to table, and should one guy do not good enough the standings can switch around pretty drastically. Nothing is a given. It's nerve-wracking but great. I make no secret who my ultimate fave is but I know he isn't infallible and because of that I feel really lucky to have witnessed in person him break 2 world records (nearly 3) and win his second world and olympic titles with some amazing performances, all in the span of a year.

Xen

Rinkside
Yeah. The mens discipline this past quad has excited me the most because there's a variety of really talented guys and really for me there isn't a big enough podium. They all have their own styles and abilities they can bring to table, and should one guy do not good enough the standings can switch around pretty drastically. Nothing is a given. It's nerve-wracking but great. I make no secret who my ultimate fave is but I know he isn't infallible and because of that I feel really lucky to have witnessed in person him break 2 world records (nearly 3) and win his second world and olympic titles with some amazing performances, all in the span of a year.

This 100X. Seriously, this was one of the most fascinating quads for men's-there's a lot of competition at the top level (and can we say they are all very good looking?). And for the difficulty brought in the flight flights, at least at OG 2018 the final flight was decently clean. Also, is this topic still relevant? Worlds 2018 is already over. =) On a side note, a small part of me is really annoyed that the topic somehow always becomes Nathan vs Yuzu, almost like Shoma, Boyang and Mikhail don't exist as competitors for either men. Factoring out Yuzu (since he WD from Milan), Shoma could have beaten Nathan hypothetically, Boyang could medal and take over if either Shoma and Nathan didn't go clean and he went clean, and Mikhail can come in and spoil things. Plus there is Aliev and hopefully Cha will get better PCS scores soon next season. Men's is quite exciting these days. =)

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Since this is a thread about predicting who will win a medal at worlds in 2018 and Worlds has passed, this thread has served its purpose and now will close.

Status
Not open for further replies.