Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmy

Rinkside
I am thinking

1 Shoma
2 Jin
3 Chen

I just don't feel very confident in Nathan at the moment.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I am thinking

1 Shoma
2 Jin
3 Chen

I actually feel more confident in Nathan now than before the Olympics. And I think the way he skated his FS returned any confidence he may have lost after his Olympics SPs. We'll have to see how that manifests next week.

I'm so bored with all the quietness. Normally we would have tons of news, updates and interviews around this time? Is the world already fed up with figure skating after olympics? Or maybe it's normal and I'm expecting a lot? :scratch2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think the guys are all training as hard as possible and getting their travel plans in order?
No time to waste blogging about it. ;)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm so bored with all the quietness. Normally we would have tons of news, updates and interviews around this time? Is the world already fed up with figure skating after olympics? Or maybe it's normal and I'm expecting a lot? :scratch2:

No news is good news, I feel. People are quietly preparing as they should. Maybe it just sounds quieter because of all the media frenzy the Olympics generated.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am thinking

1 Shoma
2 Jin
3 Chen

But the odds sort of favor Nathan. I mean at two big events the olympics and worlds where he was favored to win or medal at least and he bombed; one would think with a weakened field this is Nathan's chance. Still Shoma haas been second twice at big events and hunger forgoldmightpush himover the top - but we saw at the olympics the potential of Nathan to win with all those quads. It doesn't matter about quality of skating.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gosh, I hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so! Nathan is the World Champion!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not dismissing Nathan, just you all are overhyping him. Yuzuru was Worlds bronze medalist at 17, Boyang Jin bronze at 18, Shoma silver at 19 and Olympic silver at 20. They were not hyped as the next great thing even after they were Worlds medalist

Majors as far as many sports are concerned is : Worlds and Olympics for Olympic sports. Non Olympic sport depending, for us Asians, its Asian Games cos its every 4 yrs.
GPF is not majors across different sports. Athletes are remembered as World medalist or Olympic medalist. Everything else is a footnote.

My countryman, a very accomplished badmintan player, has never won any of these 3 majors in 15 yrs. He has 3 Olympic silvers, multiple world silvers, Asian Games silvers. He has won LOTS of GPF tournaments. BUT because he has never won the majors he is dubbed as mr 2nd place, no big match mentality.

Thus far, Nathan has crumbled at WC 2017 and 2018 OG Team and Individual SP. Let the kid medal first, give him space

Hanyu was hyped from the beginning as a teenage quad king and future star. And by hyped, I mean singled out for his talent--not given undeserved praise. And the same has been true of Nathan.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Hanyu was hyped from the beginning as a teenage quad king and future star. And by hyped, I mean singled out for his talent--not given undeserved praise. And the same has been true of Nathan.

Not to the extend of the Olympic gold medal being Nathan's to lose by the media, US media. Someone posted that article in the Olympics thread. Nathan was still named to win the OG gold by Jackie Wong even after he bombed at Team SP

Yuzuru at 17, his Worlds debut, was a bronze medalist. Before he went to train with Orser.
He still had to proof himself, broke SP World Records before Sochi, starting with the 95 pts one, then 99 pts.
At Sochi, it was Patrick Chan and Yuzuru but Patrick was still the main contender. Yuzuru was seen as the young inexperienced kid. Young inexperienced kids was not regarded as fully able to withstand the OG pressure to win.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to the extend of the Olympic gold medal being Nathan's to lose by the media, US media. Someone posted that article in the Olympics thread. Nathan was still named to win the OG gold by Jackie Wong even after he bombed at Team SP

Yuzuru at 17, his Worlds debut, was a bronze medalist. Before he went to train with Orser.
He still had to proof himself, broke SP World Records before Sochi, starting with the 95 pts one, then 99 pts.
At Sochi, it was Patrick Chan and Yuzuru but Patrick was still the main contender. Yuzuru was seen as the young inexperienced kid. Young inexperienced kids was not regarded as fully able to withstand the OG pressure to win.

Hanyu won the Olympics just 2 years after his World's debut. He was beating Japan's number 1 (Takahashi) by the next year. Everyone knew that he was the favorite for gold in Sochi (especially after the team event).Patrick's stock had gone down by then. I remember when he first came on the scene--a 16 year old doing quads! He was definitely hyped (again, not meaning in a negative way) as the next big star.

ETA: This was Nathan's second Worlds, by the way, and the third he qualified for (he was injured shortly after Nationals the first time). He is hardly a newbie and has also had to prove himself. And he did last season by beating Hanyu at Four Continents. He had a bad Worlds but came back this past season stronger than ever, winning everything (beating Hanyu again) up until the Olympics. He had a solid record to stand on, just like Hanyu did.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

The OGM was Nathan's to lose. His LP score proved that. Yuzuru is, overall, a much better skater but he simply can't make up the points with GOE and PCS without mistakes from Nathan.

chillgil

Match Penalty
The OGM was Nathan's to lose. His LP score proved that. Yuzuru is, overall, a much better skater but he simply can't make up the points with GOE and PCS without mistakes from Nathan.

let's put this "if only nathan hadnt bombed his short" theory to rest shall we?

consider this: nathan got pretty much the same total score with his 8 quads [2018 worlds] as yuzu did with 6 [2017 worlds] (one of which was marked down bcuz of the error in his short)

if anything it's nathan who can't make up the points with his quads without mistakes from yuzu

schizoanalyst

Medalist
IDK. If you extrapolate based on previous performance, and included very mild Olympic inflation (I think it would've been more than I've allotted), a clean Chen (with 4Lz/4F instead as he should've been doing all along) at Olympics would've probably put up around 106-107 in the SP and then 215 in LP. That's 321-322 points. That would've easily won. And Hanyu's only done that 3 times. If instead his LP was clean - with the benefit of being in the late group - he probably would've put up around 221-223. That's 327-330. Hanyu had done that precisely once, and hadn't come close since 2015. I'm also being somewhat conservative on the likely PCS and GOE inflation.

So, yeah, Hanyu would've had a lot of trouble if Nathan would've been clean (we can debate if these scores are fair, but it is what it is). And probably would've lost no matter what he did since Olympic judges like to award technical skates generically.

chillgil

Match Penalty
IDK. If you extrapolate based on previous performance, and included very mild Olympic inflation (I think it would've been more than I've allotted), a clean Chen (with 4Lz/4F instead as he should've been doing all along) at Olympics would've probably put up around 106-107 in the SP and then 215 in LP. That's 321-322 points. That would've easily won. And Hanyu's only done that 3 times. If instead his LP was clean - with the benefit of being in the late group - he probably would've put up around 221-223. That's 327-330. Hanyu had done that precisely once, and hadn't come close since 2015. I'm also being somewhat conservative on the likely PCS and GOE inflation.

So, yeah, Hanyu would've had a lot of trouble if Nathan would've been clean (we can debate if these scores are fair, but it is what it is). And probably would've lost no matter what he did since Olympic judges like to award technical skates generically.

im so confused here, you say nathan would have FOR SURE gotten these astronomical scores even though he's gotten it exactly ONCE when hanyu wasn't there to hold his program component scores down (like it or not nathan would NOT have gotten 91pcs and crazy goe if yuzu or javi had been there for the judges to compare) but anyway, you're saying that nathan, who just skated two clean programs, would have gotten 330 (um even though at worlds, with the cRAZY inflation there, he didnt? lol) and NOT hanyu if he had skated two clean programs??????? what drugs are you on lol

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Not by a long shot. Quite a number of us saw from many miles/km away that Nathan will have mental strength issues at 2018 Olympics. Which looked more and more so in the run up to Olympics with all the distractions added.

As stated in the Olympics threads, what is performed at normal competitions is different from what is performed at major tournaments with the intense pressure added. This is true for other sports(as in the example abt my country's no 1 badminton player), it is true for figure skating too.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Hanyu won the Olympics just 2 years after his World's debut. He was beating Japan's number 1 (Takahashi) by the next year. Everyone knew that he was the favorite for gold in Sochi (especially after the team event).Patrick's stock had gone down by then. I remember when he first came on the scene--a 16 year old doing quads! He was definitely hyped (again, not meaning in a negative way) as the next big star.

ETA: This was Nathan's second Worlds, by the way, and the third he qualified for (he was injured shortly after Nationals the first time). He is hardly a newbie and has also had to prove himself. And he did last season by beating Hanyu at Four Continents. He had a bad Worlds but came back this past season stronger than ever, winning everything (beating Hanyu again) up until the Olympics. He had a solid record to stand on, just like Hanyu did.

That depends which media you following. As I recall, in Japan, Daisuke Takahashi was still the main man. Yuzuru was regarded as no 2, the successor after Daisuke retires. The many fan shouts at Sochi during practice were for Daisuke, understandably so.

Western media was promoting Patrick Chan as the main contender. I remember the many references to Patrick's 3 WC. Yuzuru was challenger, he hadnt won any Worlds yet back then.

Anyways, no matter you look at it, no media outlet(not NBC, not CBC,not Eurosport),certainly not Japanese, was saying the Yuzuru for sure will win OG gold or OG gold was his to lose.
No such thing.Even the Eurosport commentators, though being Yuzuru fans has said "He has looked brittle... "

Nathan's hype, on the other hand, made him look like a skating God. While discounting the current World champion, former World champion, silver medalist and 2X bronze medalist. Quite hilarious all the superlatives the US media used.
Casual viewers would think Yuzuru, Javier, Shoma & Boyang didnt exist, lol.

echeveria

3a-1/2lo-3f
On the Ice
That depends which media you following. As I recall, in Japan, Daisuke Takahashi was still the main man. Yuzuru was regarded as no 2, the successor after Daisuke retires. The many fan shouts at Sochi during practice were for Daisuke, understandably so.

Western media was promoting Patrick Chan as the main contender. I remember the many references to Patrick's 3 WC. Yuzuru was challenger, he hadnt won any Worlds yet back then.

Anyways, no matter you look at it, no media outlet(not NBC, not CBC,not Eurosport),certainly not Japanese, was saying the Yuzuru for sure will win OG gold or OG gold was his to lose.
No such thing.Even the Eurosport commentators, though being Yuzuru fans has said "He has looked brittle... "

Nathan's hype, on the other hand, made him look like a skating God. While discounting the current World champion, former World champion, silver medalist and 2X bronze medalist. Quite hilarious all the superlatives the US media used.
Casual viewers would think Yuzuru, Javier, Shoma & Boyang didnt exist, lol.

I was not a fan of figure skating before the Olympics this year, and I can confirm that the only skater I had ever heard of was Nathan simply because media made him out to be the clear winner. I started watching figure skating to see if he lived up to the hype, actually. I really felt terrible for him during the Olympics, because US media really just piled the pressure on, it's unfortunate. Although, I guess without that original hype I never would've started watching fs so it's not all bad. Still, it's sad that as soon as the US gets a really good, potential medalist, the media completely disregards any other contenders.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not by a long shot. Quite a number of us saw from many miles/km away that Nathan will have mental strength issues at 2018 Olympics. Which looked more and more so in the run up to Olympics with all the distractions added.

Mental strength issues were somewhat foreseeable, based on his Worlds performance last year, but there weren't enough data points to say for certain. Yuzuru's form was also questionable due to his injury and not participating in the team event. In hindsight it's easy to say Nathan wasn't the favorite because he didn't win, but that's not really the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.