Artur Danielian | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Artur Danielian

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Translation:

Artur is funny. Can we get the first quad down before adding another one? He doesn't actually land this quad in practice. And with the quad loop I fear even more injuries. His Lutz is a fairly big jump so that quad I can buy. I fear when he moves up, he will have 2 quads in the short and 3 in the long just like Kovtun and will not be able to cope.

ETA: I wonder if they will invite him to the Gala? He seemed like a crowd favorite and it will be nice for him and us :laugh:
He is not moving up next season, so some time to learn and add more quads, but hopefully one at a time after the first one is reasonably stable in competitions and the stamina is there to skate a program with multiple quads. Unfortunately, I do not trust CSKA and TAT to be reasonable. Gumennik's team seems to use a far more sensible approach to quads - get it ready before inserting it into programs, do not make grand pronouncements about more quads in the programs next season before you even get one down. All they've said is that they will be learning new quads between seasons.

ewdokia

On the Ice
That's not what I mean't when I said he was not mentally ready. And the fact that he wants to add more quads when the 1st one is not even there is concerning.
I’m too worried about that and I’d wish they’d simple focus on stabilizing the 4S. But let’s hope for the best – maybe Artur simply pressured himself too much here and at Russian Cup Final and his 4S is better in practice than at the competitions we attended. From Buyanova’s interview we can at least take that she is aware of the fact that Artur is growing and that they carefully need to asses which workload his body may take if it comes to quads. I just hope TAT will stay away from Artur.

It's not improve. You can see the "e" in the replay https://youtu.be/-Pdp9pqc4yM?t=250. He takes off from an outside edge.

Artur admited to the edge and so has Buyanova. It's there and it takes YEARS to fix. I see no point in investing that much time in something that only gives you 3 points only if you manage to fix it and I personally know no skater who has managed to fix it. Only word of mouth from others and that's only 1 skater. He can easily drop it when he can stabilize his quad(s).
You are right, the edge issue is still there, though it looks a bit better than last season. But I still don’t agree with you. Yes, it takes time to rework technique. However, Artur and his team need to think in a long-term perspective. I wish we will see him later on skating seniors and fighting for major medals there. So let’s think 4-5 years ahead – that time you will probably need 3 or even 4 different quads to win. Now we both agree the quad loop is a jump which bears a high risk for injury, a 4T is also out of question due to Artur not liking it. So what’s left after 4S and 4L? The 4F. And there are examples of skaters successfully correcting technique right at Artur’s age (Dima Aliev for example had a lip before working with Rukavitsin).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m too worried about that and I’d wish they’d simple focus on stabilizing the 4S. But let’s hope for the best – maybe Artur simply pressured himself too much here and at Russian Cup Final and his 4S is better in practice than at the competitions we attended. From Buyanova’s interview we can at least take that she is aware of the fact that Artur is growing and that they carefully need to asses which workload his body may take if it comes to quads. I just hope TAT will stay away from Artur.

You are right, the edge issue is still there, though it looks a bit better than last season. But I still don’t agree with you. Yes, it takes time to rework technique. However, Artur and his team need to think in a long-term perspective. I wish we will see him later on skating seniors and fighting for major medals there. So let’s think 4-5 years ahead – that time you will probably need 3 or even 4 different quads to win. Now we both agree the quad loop is a jump which bears a high risk for injury, a 4T is also out of question due to Artur not liking it. So what’s left after 4S and 4L? The 4F. And there are examples of skaters successfully correcting technique right at Artur’s age (Dima Aliev for example had a lip before working with Rukavitsin).

I would be shocked if he does all those quads. Honestly. With his skill set (PCS), he will be fine learning 2 great quality quads (sal and lutz), repeating one and repeating his 3A. Three quality quads and 2 triple axel will get him far. Kolyada, for example, doesn't even need all those quads to be competitive, just consistency, which he lacks. He doesn't have a flip either and neither does Kovtun.

Now if he wants to improve his toe loop (regardless of whether he likes it or not) and add that as a quad, sure. Then that's four right there. No point in a 4F when there is a risk of getting an edge call (even Nathan gets a call occasionally) with negative GOE. No point in a 4R either, i don't know why he wants to learn this quad :eek:hwell:

ETA: actually no Russian man that I know of even attempts 4+ quads. They have enough trouble with the material that they are attempting. Artur has enough trouble being consistent with 8 triples. I would hate to see what he skates like with 4+ quads and the weight of a nation on his shoulders. I already worry about the Fed breaking his and other boys psyche once they move up. Now to add 4+ quads that he probably wont land and the backlash in the media when he fails is scary.

Also that edge is the same as last year. I've been looking at it, repeatedly, for quite some time. I don't know what a bit better is when he is still taking off from an outside edge as he did last year.

Here's a replay from last year at his JGP (Zagreb) https://youtu.be/NQfHhYE27Kk?t=333 and the 2nd flip https://youtu.be/NQfHhYE27Kk?t=369 and the 3flip from the SP https://youtu.be/v2T3oAX3n-4?t=230.

I would consider a bit better to at least be on a flat edge :confused2: But I am so tired of talking about his flip that everyone knows is flawed. We can just agree to disagree and move on from it.

Hopefully he drops it once he stabilizes his quad sal and can repeat it.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I don’t know why he doesn’t like toe loop, well he may not like it, but it doesn’t even seem bad. Like his toe combos are fine...and he just started doing 3A+3T...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t know why he doesn’t like toe loop, well he may not like it, but it doesn’t even seem bad. Like his toe combos are fine...and he just started doing 3A+3T...

Because of his technique. He has trouble sometimes getting enough height and rotating it but this was in previous years. This year it's fine. So I assume they have been/are working on it.

ETA: okay, had to pull my IFS magazine off the shelf :laugh: Per Artur:
"The toe is a problematic jump for me--it's my least favorite jump because it doesn't work. I don't have enough height or the right timing to fly high and rotate. But we're working on that."

So my memory was right at least! So he doesn't like it because it's hard for him :laugh:

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Because of his technique. He has trouble sometimes getting enough height and rotating it but this was in previous years. This year it's fine. So I assume they have been/are working on it.

ETA: okay, had to pull my IFS magazine off the shelf :laugh: Per Artur:
"The toe is a problematic jump for me--it's my least favorite jump because it doesn't work. I don't have enough height or the right timing to fly high and rotate. But we're working on that."

So my memory was right at least! So he doesn't like it because it's hard for him :laugh:

Ah okay. I actually remember that from his interview too; should’ve realised. I guess he has been working on it lots then

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah okay. I actually remember that from his interview too; should’ve realised. I guess he has been working on it lots then

Yeah, his 3A/3t is a thing a beauty and it got massive GOEs. I would have given it more :laugh: Would have given him higher PCS scores but that's another issue.

ewdokia

On the Ice
I would be shocked if he does all those quads. Honestly. With his skill set (PCS), he will be fine learning 2 great quality quads (sal and lutz), repeating one and repeating his 3A. Three quality quads and 2 triple axel will get him far. Kolyada, for example, doesn't even need all those quads to be competitive, just consistency, which he lacks. He doesn't have a flip either and neither does Kovtun.
But Artur needs to be competitive in seniors not now but in let’s say 3-4 years. I don’t think there will be a standstill without technical progress. And Kolyada is a special example: first he was lucky to quickly establish himself as Russian No. 1 with so many other guys struggling and second initially it looked like he might become a multiple quad skater, which also boosted his PCS. Just look what happened at JW: those skaters who were known as quad skaters got a little PCS bonus even in the SP. Don’t get me wrong: I’m no fan of quads (actually the opposite), but I’m worried that in a couple of years two different quads might not be enough to win major medals. :(

Now if he wants to improve his toe loop (regardless of whether he likes it or not) and add that as a quad, sure.
I always wondered why Buyanova more or less let Artur choose his quads. I think a coach should have a better eye to see, if a jump might work as a quad or not. I remember that Adian Pitkeev had right the same problem: he didn’t like the toeloop, but apparently his personal preference was friendly ignored by Eteri and in the end he had a beautiful quad toeloop (and while I’m usually no fan of Eteri, here I think she was right).

ETA: actually no Russian man that I know of even attempts 4+ quads. They have enough trouble with the material that they are attempting.

As I said we have to look at potential technical progress in future and not what Russian senior men can do now to assess Artur’s chances. If two different quads will then be enough, I’d be more than happy with that. I’m curious if we will see him in his first adult competition this week (thanks for posting the roster on the Grinkov Memorial in another thread :) ).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heads up, Artur competes tomorrow! Just in case it's broadcast people can catch it. He skates first, 17:40 pm Moscow time.

This will be his first senior competition :dance: Good luck to him. Looking forward to his choreo sequence in the free :laugh:

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Heads up, Artur competes tomorrow! Just in case it's broadcast people can catch it. He skates first, 17:40 pm Moscow time.

This will be his first senior competition :dance: Good luck to him. Looking forward to his choreo sequence in the free :laugh:

What competition is it?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FP https://youtu.be/pyWY4zY6RGA
No sound today for the senior men :sad4:

Protocol (pg 110) https://www.sportvokrug.ru/r/competition/4709/Протокол.pdf

Pictures are here and here!

Congratulations!!! First senior competition win and with it, earned a Master of Sports title :yahoo:

ETA: Small post interview
- It was a tournament in memory of Olympic champion Sergey Grinkov, - said Artur. - The first time I rode along with the masters of sports and immediately won! Of course, I am pleased with the result, I really skated quite well. Most likely, this season it was my last start, now, I should have a good rest, and training will begin in June.
http://rodgor-vlg.ru/volgogradskii-figurist-vyigral-prestizhnyi-turnir-v-moskve.html

ewdokia

On the Ice
Pictures are here and here!
Thank you fort he pictures! Some of hem are so cute. :love: I’m happy Artur ended the season with a win and on a high note. Though I so much wanted him to land the quad here – this was the right competition to go for a risk and then he popped it. But he did a beautiful one in the warm-up. So it looks like his success rate is about 50:50. But it will sure improve and this time Artur himself didn’t seem to disappointed. Can’t wait to see him next season again.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Artur’s new short program will be Spanish [emoji33] he told me: SP это [emoji633] (SP is [emoji633])

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Artur’s new short program will be Spanish [emoji33] he told me: SP это [emoji633] (SP is [emoji633])

It looks Spanish at least to me. From the first 2 moves to the tapping of the feet ;)

So I got what I wanted. Now if he can also do a ballet before his career is over, I'd be happy.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States