Artur Danielian | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Artur Danielian

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I saw that warmup, I would have told him no. But I would have told him no after his last skate. Like I stated prior, I'm a strategist. Putting in a quad that he has just recently started to compete with in competition (2 wks ago) in his biggest competition of the season is not smart. That's just not a great strategy. But if you read Artur's ask page, it's almost as if he felt he had no choice b/c the other guys were doing it. And when someone pointed out he still wins with 3As, he strayed away from it. So I don't know what's going on there, if it's them or him.

Like I said, I don't know the entire situation and don't want to go further. Plus if it's Selitskaya (I haven't watch the K&C yet) then I wouldn't worry about it. She is his coach for NOW. Next season she may not be. Like he stated in many interviews, he moved to CSKA/Moscow to work with Adelina's coach (Buianova) not Selitskaya. She's only got him b/c Buianova doesn't like working with novice/juniors until a certain age. Buianova has been slowly been pulling him away since last season.

I did not like what Buianova said either, but I'll let it slide since she does seem to genuinely care for his well being.

Now Plushenko is being loud and kicking Artur in the press saying he didn't deserve his PCS b/c he wouldn't get them Internationally for that skate. Well there was Yerevan, he had many mistakes there and still won PCS in the LP by a good margin :shrug: Plus he had 2 big issues in the SP and was STILL in a 3 way tie for the top PCS in that portion too, and he was all the way down in 8th place. So I'm not so sure he still would not have gotten high PCS marks relative to what the rest of the field did :confused2: I think he still would have. The judges really seem to like the kid.

For Arturchik sake, I hope he stays off the internet for a while.

ETA: oh and thanks in advance if you can translate the videos :luv17: :thank:

ETA: Seriously, I feel so bad for Arturchik, it's not as if he gave himself high PCS marks. Whenever he moves up to the Senior ranks, I hope they seriously mentally prepare the kid (and all the boys for that matter) for what's to come when he fails to live up to others expectation.
Skaters always score themselves, don't you know it? :rolleye: I don't know what mental preparation is strong enough to withstand it other than truly believing you are God's gift to figure skating and anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or envious. Artur doesn't seem to have that mindset.

vorravorra

Record Breaker

Translation:

Not everything worked out in the FS, there must have been reasons for this, could you tell us about them?

Artur: There were no serious reasons, I was fully ready for this competition, for the free skate, I just didn't manage to cope with it, it was a very bad skate, to put it mildly.

You didn't cope psychologically?

Artur: I don't know, the skate just didn't go right.

They say not only success teaches us lessons, failure can teach us even more. What is your state of mind right now?

Artur: To continue working twice as hard so that there are no bad skates like this any more.

Then the interviewer tells him that he'll do better in the future and wishes him success, he nods and says thank you very much.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I wish skaters did not get themlseves into the "I must not skate like this any more ever" frame of mind because the likelihood is they will have bad skates in the future and keep mentally punishing themselves.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skaters always score themselves, don't you know it? :rolleye: I don't know what mental preparation is strong enough to withstand it other than truly believing you are God's gift to figure skating and anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or envious. Artur doesn't seem to have that mindset.

Yes, thank goodness for that.

I wish skaters did not get themlseves into the "I must not skate like this any more ever" frame of mind because the likelihood is they will have bad skates in the future and keep mentally punishing themselves.

Agree. At least he didn't say that his "stupid mistakes ruined everything" like in other interviews this season :laugh: I had to keep telling myself that he's only 14 and he'll grow out of that :laugh:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been said that skaters should not talk publicly about their edge problems as it gives judges no leeway to pretend they didn't notice it at the right moment. :devil:

Hey, nobody's blind to that edge!!! Not even Mama Buianova, who also said to the press that she agreed with the edge call after JGP #1 :laugh:

I am a little surprised there was no flip in his LP however. Makes me wonder if he will attempt it at all next season since it's not required and he already made it clear that the quad is staying!

:thank: for the translations!!!

ewdokia

On the Ice
Wth was that in the K&C? "Have a great time off, Artur!" after the scores were announced? How is that appropriate public behavior from a coach towards a (15 year old) student? He wasn't feeling bad enough?
Well, there are 2 possible scenarios: if it was coaches’ decision to jump a quad with having a 11,5. point lead against Erokhov after the SP it was stupid and a big strategic mistake form his coaching team. Then such behavior of course is inappropriate. If, however, it was Artur’s decision some other coaches might have killed him right away before even reaching the K&C. :biggrin: And I think it’s highly possible that sweet little Artur had his own plans. Buyanova followed the other boys closely, the quad didn’t work in the warm up, then you have coaches reaction after the FP and Artur’s behavior after that comp also might be a little indicator that he himself decided to do the quad. If I were his coach, I’ve also made him a head shorter after that. :laugh:

ETA: thankfully he finishes in the top 5 so he gets funding at least but man I'm so upset with this team's strategy. My heart breaks for this kid :cry: After the Kovtun incident last week, I did fear for their strategy for Artur.
I can see a lot of weaknesses with that coaching team. But with Artur’s back issues I’m happy he is there and nowhere else. Where do you want him to go? To Eteri?
Also in case it was indeed Artur’s decision to do a quad against coaches' advice I don’t see the criticism towards his coaching team? In this case this will be a good lesson for Artur, next time he will hopefully follow his coaches’ advice. :)

Now Plushenko is being loud and kicking Artur in the press saying he didn't deserve his PCS b/c he wouldn't get them Internationally for that skate..
I remember that there was already much criticism about Artur’s PCS after last years’ Russian Junior Nats (how it’s all CSKA and bla bla), interestingly international judges also seem to love Artur. Maybe Plushy should simply have a look on Artur's international scores. There were enough inflated PCS at these championships, certainly not Artur’s. :noshake:

In the end I actually see it positive that Artur did NOT make the JW team. Let’s assume he’d have a chance to go to JW what would that have meant? Forced quad practice on a not yet fully healed back injury (as he stated in his interview after his SP). So I think in view of a long term perspective it’s an advantage that he has now more time to cure and that he can calmly work on his technique. Just look at Samarin – he was not the quickest one to learn a 3A or 4T, but he shows success in seniors, so who cares if didn’t win JW? And Artur seems to be far more gifted naturally, so it’s good his team works on a long term perspective and not on winning medals here and now.

The only thing that bothers me is that he now presented himself to RF as an unstable skater, but hopefully he can redeem himself in the next competitions.:pray:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I think it’s highly possible that sweet little Artur had his own plans.

He probably did it on his own :laugh: He already told everyone his plans weeks ago!

I can see a lot of weaknesses with that coaching team. But with Artur’s back issues I’m happy he is there and nowhere else. Where do you want him to go? To Eteri?

Buianova may have crap strategy and I may get peeved at times and get very vocal but I do it because I want them to succeed :cool: I don't think I've ever mentioned him changing coaches and you'll never see me do it either :p

The only thing that bothers me is that he now presented himself to RF as an unstable skater, but hopefully he can redeem himself in the next competitions.:pray:

See I don't think he presented himself as unstable. I wouldn't even worry about it. He's been fine all season until he added that quad that he clearly was not ready for. He's no worse than the other Russian boys that are 14-15 and trust me, I watch them all, they are all more inconsistent than Artur. He's 15, going through a big growth spurt, learning/adding quads, he's allowed to make mistakes. I don't think the Russian Fed expect him to be perfect to near perfect every time, that's unreasonable. He is not a robot. Perhaps next year will go better :cool:

Well we will see Artur again at the Cup final, in 2 weeks! Good luck to him :agree:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wanted to share a new interview from Boris Zharinov, former ballet dancer and Artur's former choreographer, who is the husband of Ekaterina Zharinova, Artur's former coach in Volgograd. They've both left Volgograd and are now trainers at CSKA. Boris is helping Samarin for example. Here's some relevant snippets:

- Boris, two years ago, you and your spouse (coach Ekaterina Zharinova) are leaving your warm Volgograd town, where you headed a figure skating school, to Moscow, you are recruiting a group of small students. How and why did you decide to take this step?

- Yes, indeed, for 20 years Ekaterina worked as a senior trainer in Volgograd, I was a senior choreographer, everything was good, the students were capable and interesting, now two of them, Artur Danielyan and Emil Hasanov, are training at CSKA, but the sports committee did not really support us, was not interested in sports, art. And the living conditions were not too good: one small dressing room for everyone - men, women, hockey players, there was not enough ice - where ice skaters and hockey players share ice, they always prefer the latter. Lasted as long as we could. When you sit in one place for so much time and understand that there is no future, it becomes sad. We decided to move to Moscow. And when Ekaterina received an invitation from CSKA to recruit a group of small children, we did not hesitate for a long time. After all, Katya, one might say, returned home. Once she trained at the Army Club with Svetlana Sokolovskaya.

- At the beginning of the conversation, we mentioned your students Artur Danielyan (Vice-Champion of the Junior World Championship) and Emil Hasanov. Tell us a little about them?

- Artur and Emil gave us, if I may say so, when their coaches realized that we could give more. This practice exists in figure skating. Both are very talented guys. Artur is a hardworking boy, he will never say that he is tired or cannot, will work to the last. Actually, this has already brought results.

- But in the end, you also passed him on - sent to Moscow, to CSKA.

- Yes, because there were no conditions, there was not enough ice, there was no extra time to deal with him. Artur went to Moscow a year before our move. We gave him the opportunity to move on, have not abandoned him, but simply provided a choice, and the parents understood, listened to Ekaterina, although they did not want to leave us. Too abruptly changed life so that the son could develop.

- The transition from one coach to another is a very painful process, especially when it comes to moving from one city to another. It is clear that conditions are better in Moscow and St. Petersburg. In small towns almost everywhere there is not enough ice and halls for classes, you yourself send students for the best beat, then they become champions - is it not insulting?

- And give, and hurt. When you see the result, you are definitely pleased that you have invested in it. And then you think that you could teach, do it. And remain in the shadows.

- Well, journalists will take the interview from the first coach.

- They will, but it will not be any easier ... Therefore, I would like to lead our current, still very young children, to junior, and maybe adult skating. Hope this works out .

Source: http://ltk-cska.ru/news/1553-intervyu.html

Cute pic of Artur and Ekaterina http://ltk-cska.ru/files/uploads/images/1549461021.jpg

ewdokia

On the Ice
ETA: just found a video of Artur, 8 years old. Oh just realized it's from his mother's account :laugh: (I am so nosy :laugh:)
https://ok.ru/video/1953695800
Thank you for the link. :) Artur’s mom also shared some lovely pictures on her account (so I guess I’m nosy too :laugh:).

Artur's next competition is the Cup Final (Tues/Wed) in junior men.
I’ll go to Novgorod tomorrow, so I’ll watch it live. I also hope I can attend the FS-practice on Wednesday. Well, it is very early and I’m terribly grumpy in the mornings, so it’s a real challenge. But I’m curious how Artur’s 4S looks in practice. :biggrin:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the link. :) Artur’s mom also shared some lovely pictures on her account (so I guess I’m nosy too :laugh:).

Good! I'm glad I'm not the only nosy person. And yes, I was all up in those photos :laugh: I just had to see how tall the brother was ;) Found that video/account by pure luck!

I’ll go to Novgorod tomorrow, so I’ll watch it live. I also hope I can attend the FS-practice on Wednesday. Well, it is very early and I’m terribly grumpy in the mornings, so it’s a real challenge. But I’m curious how Artur’s 4S looks in practice. :biggrin:

Have fun :hap85: And if you can give a little report (general impression as I've never seen him live), it will be greatly appreciated!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cup Final SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_ys6s1zH4

By the way, Nina Mozer mentioned Artur in her interview that came out today :laugh: She said the Russians lack basics and their skating was stuck in the 80s-90s. She was asked to clarify. LOL

AS: We lack the basics?
NM: You see, figure skating changes but we are still in the same place. We don't understand how it progresses. The lightness, speed, rhythm, the elements structure in the programme. I realize we live in our own world and everyone who tries to step out is being slapped in their hand.

AS: But take our Mikhail Kolyada - he is really light in his gliding.
NM: He is, but he is not as good as the leaders where the blade control is concerned. He doesn't have what is required now. Many in Russia don't understand the difference in the basics. Look at those who win - their knee is used in every jump. They resemble cats! Our guys are skating with a stiff foot. The only ones who are compatible to the world are Aliev, Danielian.

Interviewer then asked her which skaters were stuck in the 90s :laugh2:

So happy it was something positive towards Artur :dance2: LOL

Source for translation: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/samokhvalovs-interview-with-mozer.105310/

ETA: OMG, this entire interview is bonkers :laugh: but I'll take the compliment towards Artur as the one sane moment :peace:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not a complete meltdown but the lowest TES in the competition.

Maybe if he competes at Championship of Russia Elder age, they will rearrange his jump layout to what it was pre-quad since he was used to it. Something like quad, 3a, 3lz, 3a, 2a, 3lz, 3l. He probably doesn't want a 2a in the bonus but still he has to stabilize his jump content with this newly inserted quad and he was used to that layout. Plus he can still have 2 combos in the bonus.

Not sure why he did a flip instead of repeating the lutz :confused: The lutz and his axel are his money jumps.

And LOL at the Rusforums, they are no fan of Selitskaya! :laugh:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Back from Russia, so a few impressions. Artur decided to change his LP when repeating the 3A after the pop – with of course not enough time to regroup and then the whole program went south. Selitskaya once again was visibly mad about him. Actually the K&C was one of my most funny moments at this event. You can clearly see how Selitskaya's rant goes in one ear and out the other, he only seems to be disappointed, his plan didn't work out. :laugh: Talk about stubbornness here. :laugh2: You can see the K&C here beginning at about 1:26:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GruDPYYOQM

I was also at the LP practice. The quad was what I expected it to be: Artur didn't land a single one. He always fell. :( He just lacks strength to land it. But he really seems to be obsessed with it - in the warm up it was apparent that he was already thinking about the quad and then of course made errors on the axel, as his head was simply focusing on something else. To be honest I was very much surprised he managed to stay on his feet after his quad in the free. But then one could almost physically feel how much he wanted it. Once he’ll get stronger he’ll sure be able to land quads. :)

Apart from the quad he did do really well in practices, practically no mistakes. Jumps were a beauty. A bit about skating skills, since we discussed it here: IMO Artur has great skating skills. He skates effortlessly, which is good technique. And he has really good command on his ages. Of course some other boys like Swiridenko might be faster, but then they are grown up and can use more muscle mass to gain speed. I loved Artur's skating on TV, but also loved it live - great talent and a special character. :love:

Now the bad news: Artur still has back issues. I've heard he skated on shots at Russian Nationals. :cry: So I'm not sad at all he made a lot of mistakes here - with Erokhov being injured once again, RF might have reconsidered to send him to JW otherwise. Now he has time to cure his back. :pray:

I also had a chance to talk to Artur and told him how much I like his skating. He is sweet and humble and seemed to be quite surprised that he already has fans abroad who come to Russia to watch him in competition. :luv17:

And LOL at the Rusforums, they are no fan of Selitskaya! :laugh:
Well, I can see how she was mad about Artur. He lost at least 10 points with the unsuccessful repetition of the 3A (this under the assumption that he would have done a good second 3L instead and made no other mistakes afterwards, which I think was very likely to be the case, as the fall was taking even more energy from him). But I think she should have discussed that behind closed doors and not in public. However, as much as I like Artur, I think at times it’s not that easy to train him. Artur's like one running with his head into the wall to break it and when it ends with a bloody head, he tries again by running even faster and hitting the wall even harder. :bang:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back from Russia, so a few impressions. Artur decided to change his LP when repeating the 3A after the pop – with of course not enough time to regroup and then the whole program went south. Selitskaya once again was visibly mad about him. Actually the K&C was one of my most funny moments at this event. You can clearly see how Selitskaya's rant goes in one ear and out the other, he only seems to be disappointed, his plan didn't work out. :laugh: Talk about stubbornness here. :laugh2: You can see the K&C here beginning at about 1:26:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GruDPYYOQM

I figured that he changed his program. Made no sense to do 1 lutz in his FP and then do a flip with three axel passes. Why does he keep changing his programs like that? It worked last year, this year, not so much. If I was his coach, I would yell at him too (not in public though). That's got to be frustrating but at least he is no Oda when it comes to math skills.

I was also at the LP practice. The quad was what I expected it to be: Artur didn't land a single one. He always fell. :( He just lacks strength to land it. But he really seems to be obsessed with it - in the warm up it was apparent that he was already thinking about the quad and then of course made errors on the axel, as his head was simply focusing on something else. To be honest I was very much surprised he managed to stay on his feet after his quad in the free. But then one could almost physically feel how much he wanted it. Once he’ll get stronger he’ll sure be able to land quads. :)

I figured. That quad seems half baked at best. I mean, it's one thing to attempt a quad and an entirely different thing to lose the entire program once the quad is added in. Lost spin/footwork levels, other jumps all over the place. He doesn't seem physically nor mentally ready for it. I was also surprised he didn't fall or pop it as it didn't look like he had any success in the 6 min warmup.

Also, you can tell he is obsessed with the quad. Look at his interview after the RUS-CHN games. He said that Mozalev had a cool quad and 3 axels and he was a worthy competitor or some mess like that. Mind you, Mozalev fell on his quad and popped both 3 axels into singles, scored <130 and blew the 6-7 point lead he had over Artur. But none of that seemed to have registered in Artur's mind. But if Artur wants to die by the quad then so be it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apart from the quad he did do really well in practices, practically no mistakes. Jumps were a beauty. A bit about skating skills, since we discussed it here: IMO Artur has great skating skills. He skates effortlessly, which is good technique. And he has really good command on his ages. Of course some other boys like Swiridenko might be faster, but then they are grown up and can use more muscle mass to gain speed. I loved Artur's skating on TV, but also loved it live - great talent and a special character. :love:

His skating skills and edges are really good for his age. Plus it looks like puberty is helping with his speed. Having watched the JGP, I think he was one of the highest scoring 14 yo in regards to PCS. He is just so polished.

Now the bad news: Artur still has back issues. I've heard he skated on shots at Russian Nationals. :cry: So I'm not sad at all he made a lot of mistakes here - with Erokhov being injured once again, RF might have reconsidered to send him to JW otherwise. Now he has time to cure his back. :pray:

Sigh, kid wants to learn the hard way. Seriously, if you need a pain injection to compete, then the last thing you should be doing is adding a half baked quad to your routine at the end of the season. If he isn't careful, he will end up just like Erokhov. Always injured. But it's his career so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also had a chance to talk to Artur and told him how much I like his skating. He is sweet and humble and seemed to be quite surprised that he already has fans abroad who come to Russia to watch him in competition. :luv17:

That's so sweet!

Well, I can see how she was mad about Artur. He lost at least 10 points with the unsuccessful repetition of the 3A (this under the assumption that he would have done a good second 3L instead and made no other mistakes afterwards, which I think was very likely to be the case, as the fall was taking even more energy from him). But I think she should have discussed that behind closed doors and not in public. However, as much as I like Artur, I think at times it’s not that easy to train him. Artur's like one running with his head into the wall to break it and when it ends with a bloody head, he tries again by running even faster and hitting the wall even harder. :bang:

They are peeved at the comment she made to Artur after his free at nationals. Plus she is practically in their face the minute they get off the ice and they don't like her or the boys' body language in the K&C, mostly Kutovoi. And Kutovoi/Iakovlev are not like Artur at all. They don't change their planned content but she still lectures them for the smallest of mistakes. She should wait until they are backstage to discuss this stuff. I get the general impression that they want someone like Zavosin there with the boys. He seems a bit more positive, doesn't scold, etc.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
News update: Artur's next competition is Junior Worlds. This will more than likely be his last competition of the season!
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109136.htm

Good luck to him but I'm not sure how this is going to go. I can hope for a top 10 finish.

ETA: Artur should start in the 6th warmup group (penultimate group) due to World Standings.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I’m so happy Artur gets to go to junior worlds and have another chance to prove himself! So last minute though, I hope he’s prepared enough [emoji51] I also hope his back isn’t annoying him too much and that he doesn’t try that 4S [emoji23]🤦🏼*♀️ Rooting for him! 🤞🏼[emoji1374]
P.s on my skating Instagram account (which he follows) I posted on my story how excited I was for him and I wished him good luck, and he replied back with [emoji854][emoji1364][emoji1374] not sure why the “[emoji854]” [emoji23]
I always make sure to be careful and supportive about what I say cause he sees all my stories and sometimes they can be quite something [emoji51]

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m so happy Artur gets to go to junior worlds and have another chance to prove himself! So last minute though, I hope he’s prepared enough [emoji51] I also hope his back isn’t annoying him too much and that he doesn’t try that 4S [emoji23]����*♀️ Rooting for him! ����[emoji1374]
P.s on my skating Instagram account (which he follows) I posted on my story how excited I was for him and I wished him good luck, and he replied back with [emoji854][emoji1364][emoji1374] not sure why the “[emoji854]” [emoji23]
I always make sure to be careful and supportive about what I say cause he sees all my stories and sometimes they can be quite something [emoji51]

That's sweet of you! I'm sure he appreciates the support!!! And yes, really last minute. I hope the Fed at least gave him the heads up when Erokhov withdrew from the cup final that there was a big chance he would be subbed in. I hope he is prepared too. I decided when he was subbed in yesterday to just go and give support. I would go to the practices to see if he plans on attempting a quad but I don't think they are open to the public. LOL But good luck to him. Hope he has skates he can be proud of to end the season with :dance2: Then for him to rest and heal his injuries :hap85: