2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
At this point, I'd say a mile wide and an inch deep. Plenty of ladies that can appear in the last group of the free skate of any given competition, but nobody that's going to appear on the podium at a Grand Prix Final or Senior World Championship any time soon.

It will be interesting to see if the JSF gets up the courage to change with the times.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
What happened to previous thread?

I thought a new thread had been created by mistake but I can't find the old one anymore.... was it deleted!? Why, how, what?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I thought a new thread had been created by mistake but I can't find the old one anymore.... was it deleted!? Why, how, what?

the old thread isn't on the edge since yesterday 11pm. Seems deleted, my total messages dropped.

Grin

Medalist
Probably the topic starter felt too emotional after Rika's performance

sakurano

Final Flight
It is unfortunate that because of the nerves of the skaters like Rika, Wakaba, Marin, Mao Asada miss occations to shine but they are still young and have a lot of talents and I hope that it will make think the JFS to engage a mental coach.

Other than that, I think that all the girls did well with Mako to get the bronze, Yuhana for the 6th and Rika for the 8th, even if it was not perfect it improved at the level of presentation I think it would be good for it to remain a year among the juniors.

sakurano

Final Flight
Maybe it was deleted because it exceeds 200 pages? or it's a technical problem

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Maybe it was deleted because it exceeds 200 pages? or it's a technical problem

Russian thread has 500 pages. Must be a technical problem.

Other than that, I think that all the girls did well with Mako to get the bronze, Yuhana for the 6th and Rika for the 8th, even if it was not perfect it improved at the level of presentation I think it would be good for it to remain a year among the juniors.
Two previous Jworlds were better. All 3 japaneses were in top 5. These Jworlds were not so bad but not really good either.

sakurano

Final Flight
Russian thread has 500 pages. Must be a technical problem.

Two previous Jworlds were better. All 3 japaneses were in top 5. These Jworlds were not so bad but not really good either.

Yes surely wait to see;

It's true that in the past three years there were at least two Japanese on the podium maybe it was not their moment it's already good to be in the top 10, I know it's the ladies' thread but if we look at men they are worse.

Caustica

Final Flight
Actually, I think the Japanese did better than expected for me overall... I really wasn't sure what to expect out of Yuhana, but both her and Mako skated really well! Rika was a bit of a shock - I hope she sorts out these issues for next year - her nationals performance was really good.

Anyway, Japanese junior ladies have secured the maximum number of JGP and Junior Worlds spots for next year so :hap10:

...In the meantime, I'm still sad about Worlds (that there can only be 2) and worried as well (the pressure to go back up to 3!)...

russianfan

Match Penalty
Actually, I think the Japanese did better than expected for me overall... I really wasn't sure what to expect out of Yuhana, but both her and Mako skated really well! Rika was a bit of a shock - I hope she sorts out these issues for next year - her nationals performance was really good.

Anyway, Japanese junior ladies have secured the maximum number of JGP and Junior Worlds spots for next year so :hap10:

...In the meantime, I'm still sad about Worlds (that there can only be 2) and worried as well (the pressure to go back up to 3!)...

Both Yuhana and Mako surprised me as well :) after Yuhana's skate it became obvious for me that Konstantinova won't get a medal regardless of how she skates (not like i was hoping though :biggrin:). So, congratulations with 3 spots and i hope that japanese ladies can repeat it at senior Worlds as well!

malo42

On the Ice
I'm glad Yuhana was able to do so well in the FS, I love her but I kind of was on the Araki side for a bit... I hope the senior ladies are able to get three spots back. I'm very worried about Wakaba, I hope she can prove herself at worlds.

I really hate a completely dismissive attitude towards any country's skaters especially one like that has truly had so much success. Not everyone can be as good as the Russians are right now but there are many Japanese ladies trying more difficult jumps and layouts. I just don't understand the criticism that they need to 'get with the times' when so many ladies are trying 3As, tanos and back-loading jumps. For me whats so exciting about Japanese skating is that it's so popular there and in a way so 'new' because it's just within the last 15 or so years that they've been able so produce so many successful skaters. Right now the biggest coaches in Japan are older or maybe really haven't had too much international success but I'd really like the day to come where people won't with for their favorite Japanese skater to be sent to a foreign coach. I believe a new generation of coaches will emerge from this past generation of skaters. I feel like young girls (well their parents) will be drawn to figure skating after being inspired by Mao... and hopefully many young boys inspired by Yuzuru and Shoma (and Daisuke) because like someone else said the men are way worse off and if you follow low level comps that goes all the way down to the lowest levels. I'm going on and on a lot but I just want to say I think the future of skating in Japan is so bright :laugh:,

Anyway Sui Takeuchi tries her 3A at the local Aichi comp she fell but she still won.

ks777

Record Breaker
It's time for the Japanese Federation to make one ice rink the national training center and bring in all the talented young girls from all over Japan to train together all year long, like Russians. Have Machiko Yamada and Mihoko Higuchi in charge of the Jump(height only), Tsuzuki in charge of jump technique, and have Mie Hamada in charge of overall packaging and Nobuo Sato in charge of skating skills.
I just can't see beating the russian girls unless Japan makes a drastic change.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's time for the Japanese Federation to make one ice rink the national training center and bring in all the talented young girls from all over Japan to train together all year long, like Russians. Have Machiko Yamada and Mihoko Higuchi in charge of the Jump(height only), Tsuzuki in charge of jump technique, and have Mie Hamada in charge of overall packaging and Nobuo Sato in charge of skating skills.
I just can't see beating the russian girls unless Japan makes a drastic change.

Not all talented girls in Russia train together? And why would they? And how would you train jump height independently from jumping technique? :scratch2:

Japan has enough talents and is the only country that has any shot in keeping up with Russia and their ladies at all. But IMO most of their ladies are doing fine where they are - Kaori & Mai are progressing nicely and are very good competitors, Rika is inconsistent but also young and might simply need more experience - and she's going for a 3A after all, kind of a difficult jump, it's not as if anyone was consistent with that in ladies :p the only one who really needs a change is Wakaba, but I'd still say she'd be best send to Toronto.

ks777

Record Breaker
Not all talented girls in Russia train together? And why would they? And how would you train jump height independently from jumping technique? :scratch2:

Japan has enough talents and is the only country that has any shot in keeping up with Russia and their ladies at all. But IMO most of their ladies are doing fine where they are - Kaori & Mai are progressing nicely and are very good competitors, Rika is inconsistent but also young and might simply need more experience - and she's going for a 3A after all, kind of a difficult jump, it's not as if anyone was consistent with that in ladies :p the only one who really needs a change is Wakaba, but I'd still say she'd be best send to Toronto.

Have you seen Machiko Yamada's students jump technique? Kanako Murakami? Yukari Nakano? Mao Asada? Yoshie Onda? but many of her students (not all) tend to have big jumps even with bad technique.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Have you seen Machiko Yamada's students jump technique? Kanako Murakami? Yukari Nakano? Mao Asada? Yoshie Onda? but many of her students (not all) tend to have big jumps even with bad technique.

Eh, so what? That's not a reasoning - a good part about jump height is natural predisposition, so congrats for team Yamada/Machiko for getting the right talents. That has nothing to do with what they are teaching though, if you look at the bad technique they have. And the other part that helps getting good height on your jumps is.... good technique... how do you think you train jump height?

ks777

Record Breaker
I think Hamada's students all have very small jumps. Even Rika Hihira. I just don't think it's coincident. Thought maybe Yamada/Higuchi can work on their jump height, While Hamada can help Yamada's students artistry and musicality.