2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating

rikaquegira

On the Ice
already expecting Wakaba to get 70ish even if she skates clean.
I doubt she’ll challenge a clean Osmond(now an Olympic medalist) or a clean Kostner with the highest PCS(and in Italy). Zagitova is the champion, unless she has a meltdown. I don’t know... Wakaba’s medal chances seem low. It always seems to me judges don’t like her. [emoji848] What’s not to like? lol
I hope I’m wrong!

sakurano

Final Flight
For the Japanese team Satoko and Wakaba have to make 4 and 8? I hope it will be good since there is Shin Amano.
Wakaba for now is in 7th place which worries me but you have to believe it.

yes Satoko does it I hope she keeps this 3rd place
good luck girls for the FS Friday

Leonardo

Final Flight
Sending Kaori to the olympics was the right decision. Seriously. She did her best there and placed (should've been 5th but whatever) as high as possible becaused of the fixed pcs . She also scored 73 in her SP, that would put her in the 4th position here.

Wakaba failed at the 2017 worlds, failed big time at the GPF, had costly mistakes in both programs at Nationals and now she had her redemption opportunity at the 2018 worlds and failed again. I'm sorry for her and I love her, but frankly, she had enough chances, it's not JSF's fault or something. Making the team next season won't be an easy task and she will have to become much more consistent at the crucial moments. Please, go to Orser, Wakaba!

sakurano

Final Flight
Sending Kaori to the olympics was the right decision. Seriously. She did her best there and placed (should've been 5th but whatever) as high as possible becaused of the fixed pcs . She also scored 73 in her SP, that would put her in the 4th position here.

Wakaba failed at the 2017 worlds, failed big time at the GPF, had costly mistakes in both programs at Nationals and now she had her redemption opportunity at the 2018 worlds and failed again. I'm sorry for her and I love her, but frankly, she had enough chances, it's not JSF's fault or something. Making the team next season won't be an easy task and she will have to become much more consistent at the crucial moments. Please, go to Orser, Wakaba!

Yes she needs a big change if she wants to continue because behind there are girls who are likely to overtake her. I love her a lot and I will always support her but objectively she must move because if she continues to be like that we risk not to see her again in the next seasons and competitions.

Give him his chance for his beautiful FS Friday I saw his performance on TV and it was not bad.

randomfan

Record Breaker

Slow down there. Let's at least wait until the competition is over before we say that she failed at Worlds too. Her mistake in the SP was a fall and it wasn't a disaster by any means. She did everything else nicely.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Slow down there. Let's at least wait until the competition is over before we say that she failed at Worlds too. Her mistake in the SP was a fall and it wasn't a disaster by any means. She did everything else nicely.

Failed to deliver a clean performance. A fall is a fall, it's a very severe mistake especially in a short program. There are no excuses left. That said, I hope she comes back perfectly for her beautiful free program.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Wakaba’s PCS was so low... But Satoko finally got 9s!!!! A few 8s here and there but mostly 9s! Very deserved!
I hope Wakaba can skate clean in the Free. From 4th down the scores are close, shouldn’t be too hard to get the spots for Japan.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Btw, I have a theory...
Wakaba has practiced 3As right?
Maybe she’ll keep both SP and FS for another season. She’ll pull a Yuzuru, you know? She’ll keep both programs so she can focus on the 3A. Because that 2A as the first jump is suspicious...
It would be great if she added a 3A and worked on her consistency with the other jumps. If she keeps both programs(that are so perfect!! specially the free) she would be able to focus on the jumps better.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think Wakaba needs to carry out some re-thinking. Either she needs to see a sports psychologist to help her overcome her nerves or she needs a coach who can get her in a better mindset before a competition. I doubt it's a tech issue...

sakurano

Final Flight
Btw, I have a theory...
Wakaba has practiced 3As right?
Maybe she’ll keep both SP and FS for another season. She’ll pull a Yuzuru, you know? She’ll keep both programs so she can focus on the 3A. Because that 2A as the first jump is suspicious...
It would be great if she added a 3A and worked on her consistency with the other jumps. If she keeps both programs(that are so perfect!! specially the free) she would be able to focus on the jumps better.

She practices 3A but said in an interview that it was not constant enough so maybe next year but I do not really think it's actually seen once and it was during the WTT last year I do not think it'll help but who knows the 3A and the Quads are coming to the girls

steiner

Rinkside
I’m not willing to write Wakaba off because of one fall here. We’ll see how the free goes, hopefully she can deliver one of her best.

Sportfan

Match Penalty
Failed to deliver a clean performance. A fall is a fall, it's a very severe mistake especially in a short program. There are no excuses left. That said, I hope she comes back perfectly for her beautiful free program.

She is 8th after the SP, right? The Japanese ladies still have the chance for 3 spots, right? How is this a "failure"? Just bc she won't medal?
I think Wakaba is not peaking at the right time in a season. For example, Yuzuru had this problem many years, but last year he figured it out. Wakaba has clean performances at the beginning of the season instead at the end of the season. Her team just have to find out how to change this.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I think Wakaba needs to carry out some re-thinking. Either she needs to see a sports psychologist to help her overcome her nerves or she needs a coach who can get her in a better mindset before a competition. I doubt it's a tech issue...

Waka looked really strong in the 6 min warm up, but to me nervous during the performance. It really boils down to the same thing: she needs to switch coaches, and that as soon as possible. At 100% she's still the best Japanese lady to me, but she needs to learn how to be at 100% more often.
Hopefully she'll manage a great LP, she really needs it - but at least the chances for that third spot are looking good.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I hope next season they will at least fix her ridiculous layouts. They are throwing so many points away. At least stop doing those ridiculous two 3Lz-3T in the free.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Waka looked really strong in the 6 min warm up, but to me nervous during the performance. It really boils down to the same thing: she needs to switch coaches, and that as soon as possible. At 100% she's still the best Japanese lady to me, but she needs to learn how to be at 100% more often.
=
Exactly. She needs the right coach to bring the best in her, technically and mentally. She has so many beautiful qualities and is a very complete skater.
On a side note, she can't stay with a coach who insists on that solo 3F in the short program. It's unreal, it seems like he can't change his mind regardless of the multiple calls and loss of points time after time.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I posted this on another thread but it applies here too: At GPF clean Satoko was 1.35 ahead of Higuchi with edge call. At WC Satoko had UR and lost 2.8. Higuchi fully rotated but fell and lost 4.1. 1.3 + 1.35 = 2.65. Yet Higuchi is 8.47 behind Satoko even though it's same routines they did at GPF and with similar level of performance. This is why general public doesn't take figure skating seriously. The judging is a joke. Lol

vitamintea

On the Ice
I posted this on another thread but it applies here too: At GPF clean Satoko was 1.35 ahead of Higuchi with edge call. At WC Satoko had UR and lost 2.8. Higuchi fully rotated but fell and lost 4.1. 1.3 + 1.35 = 2.65. Yet Higuchi is 8.47 behind Satoko even though it's same routines they did at GPF and with similar level of performance. This is why general public doesn't take figure skating seriously. The judging is a joke. Lol

I really love Wakaba as a skater but I think in this case the judging was fair. Her PCS is always more underscored than I think is deserved, but it was about 2 points lower at Worlds than GPF, which is fair because she had so much more energy and fire during that performance and there were quite a few moments during her SP yesterday I thought were just going through the motions. Her tech score is deservedly lower at worlds than gpf because she landed her combo in the bonus and didn't here.

Joekaz

On the Ice
As I said her tech score should be 3.1 lower (plus 1 pt for fall) = 4.1 total. But Satoko should be 2.8 lower for UR. That is only 1.3 more to the 1.35 gap at GPF =2.65. The level of performance for Higuchi is arguable but certainly not 2 pts lower than GPF. Even if u agree with pcs drop that's still only 4.65 not the 8.47 gap there is. That is a big difference.