2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Wakaba and Satoko!! I cried after Wakaba's performance :laugh: Otukaresamadeshita to both of them.

I don't know if international broadcast was showing, but while they were waiting for the flower ceremony to start, both were wiping their tears with tissue and chatting, taking photos together, it just warmed my heart. In interview of Fuji, Wakaba said being full of smiles that she still couldn't believe she won the silver medal but it was going to be great start for the next season. Satoko said she had regret in her performance but was glad to be in the 3rd. And they said they were glad to get 3 spots back and looked so relieved.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was impressed by so much about Team Japan this year.
Rika Hongo's programs were great, unique and interesting and I will always love her. :love:
Rika Kihira's 3As and total package-so cool! But take your time to nail your tech. Don't be in a hurry.
Mai Mihara's FS that saves the day for me each time I see it. SP was a challenge, maybe too much for an Olympic season, but see how wonderful it was by the Season's end?
Kaori's swooping, flying jumps and speed across the ice. I love her joy in skating.
Wakaba's Bond program. We got to see it perfect at Worlds. What a moment. What a great skate and what a great skater.
Satoko's comeback. The injury was so bad I thought she'd never make it in time, but she did and she was glorious.
This is a team to be proud of. :love:

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
I was impressed by so much about Team Japan this year.
Rika Hongo's programs were great, unique and interesting and I will always love her. :love:
Rika Kihira's 3As and total package-so cool! But take your time to nail your tech. Don't be in a hurry.
Mai Mihara's FS that saves the day for me each time I see it. SP was a challenge, maybe too much for an Olympic season, but see how wonderful it was by the Season's end?
Kaori's swooping, flying jumps and speed across the ice. I love her joy in skating.
Wakaba's Bond program. We got to see it perfect at Worlds. What a moment. What a great skate and what a great skater.
Satoko's comeback. The injury was so bad I thought she'd never make it in time, but she did and she was glorious.
This is a team to be proud of. :love:

Totally. And in the end, they got back those 3 spots in great fashion, placing 2nd and 3rd! Just wonderful.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I've never been happier for being wrong! :laugh:
Technically she failed after her short, but there is a Mao Asada in her heart, a real great fighter. That silver tasted like gold.

When it comes to free, I would have given it to her, though I am all right with the overall placements. But she was so, so good tonight. Best skate of the night for me.

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
An amazing end to the season. Satoko and Wakaba made for the lowest combined team placing, of only 5! They shattered the requirement for 3 spots! How can 3 spots be enough when 4 girls already have passed 210+ mark??? After watching Satoko's miss on the 2S, I thought it was really over for any Japanese medal but I was so happy to see that not only Wakaba, but also Satoko managed to medal. Obviously watching Alina and Carolina was shocking and sad but a job well done for team Japan. It seems that all of our early season worries about Satoko's return and the various consistency levels of Mai, Kaori, Wakaba, and Marin disappeared along with the old thread :thumbsup:

yude

Record Breaker

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’m so happy for satoko and wakaba!!! And japan has 3 spots, yayyyyyyy!!!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Waka the unstable. Waka the unreliable.

Wakaba, the silver World medalist.

Ahem.

And she's going to push up her PCS through her own work which really is something but at the same time, I hate JSF. Anyhow. Congratulations to her. Major, major pressure, and she delivered.

Of course, she was very lucky here. Like Stephen Bradbury, four skaters in front of her literally fell down to hand her a medal. Nonetheless, results are everything, and if she can use this as the base to shake the choker label once and for all, then there will be more WC podiums in her future.

Joekaz

On the Ice
And she should realize that people who say she chokes are usually fans of other skaters who are acknowledging she is more talented than the one they root for. They know if she skates 2 her potential she is the best and she has 2 beat herself 2 lose. So a positive mental attitude is key 4 her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well well well, i hope that those who said that Wakababy will implode watched her slay in that majestic free skate.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Well well well, i hope that those who said that Wakababy will implode watched her slay in that majestic free skate.

She skated with little pressure in the second to last group with no expectation of winning a medal. I would love for her to be able to repeat that performance in the last group with a medal in sight.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
She skated with little pressure in the second to last group with no expectation of winning a medal. I would love for her to be able to repeat that performance in the last group with a medal in sight.

See you next season then. When she will do that.

Caustica

Final Flight

Maybe she couldn't imagine getting a medal, but there was definitely a LOT of pressure on her - to regain the 3 spots that she partially feels responsible for losing last year... For home worlds. That is a lot of pressure and you can see it in her reaction after her skate.

Spinning

On the Ice

Little pressure? I don't think so. She has a lot at stake here. People blame her for losing spot last year.

Wakaba did great last night. She deserves all the glory!

Szeptuszka

On the Ice
She could have finished 11th and done that.

...If she possessed the powers of precognition and knew that Alina and Caro will bomb, and some of the other skaters capable of getting big LP scores will not skate at their best, and Satoko will not make any too point-costly mistakes (she's usually reliable, but her injury/bone density problems have affected her consistency this season, and even her actual LP score could be not enough if the other contenders haven't underperformed)...

Plus, there's the fact that Wakaba's SP score (65.89) was roughly the same as the one she got at the previous Worlds (65.87). I... try not to be superstitious, but if I were in Wakaba's shoes, I'd be freaking out a bit :biggrin: Never mind the fact that she'd probably liked to win the spots in a convincing fashion, not to hang on by a thread thanks to Satoko's consistency. The JSF have trusted her over Kaori, so performing at least as well as Kaori was probably on Wakaba's mind, is she wanted to keep her federation's favour.