2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think that Wakaba is the first japanese to score above 200 in all her international competitions in one season.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba doesn't choke. Choking is completely falling apart when your under pressure. What she has done most times people said she choked is perform pretty good but not great. That is called reacting normally to pressure like most skaters do. It's just that she has the most talent so expectations are very high. And actually when she is under equal pressure 2 other skaters she usually does well. For instance at cup of china she beat out Mai and Marin in a big showdown. At GPF she had her worst skate but was stilll over 200. At nationals she popped 1 jump in each program but otherwise was good under huge pressure. It was Sakamoto and Kihira who were under by far the least pressure because No one expected Sakamoto to make Olympics and Kihira couldn't, so they had nothing 2 lose. Plus Wakaba is 6 months younger even than Kaori so I dont think we have seen the best from her yet.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Another advantage Wakaba had over almost all the other top competitors was that she didn't have to compete at the Olympics. A challenger event in Holland is nothing like the stress and preparation for the Olympic competition that lasted over two weeks for some competitors, and took place just a month before these World Championships.

rocketry

Rinkside
Another advantage Wakaba had over almost all the other top competitors was that she didn't have to compete at the Olympics. A challenger event in Holland is nothing like the stress and preparation for the Olympic competition that lasted over two weeks for some competitors, and took place just a month before these World Championships.

You were already wrong in your prediction that she wasn’t going to make the podium, so why are you trying to downplay her accomplishments by adding all these conditionals about why it was easier for her? It’s funny you were so sure she wasn’t going to make the podium, but now that she’s made it, she suddenly she had an easier time and advantage over the others. The truth is, competitive mindsets and preparations vary. Each skater takes control of their training in different ways, so what’s optimal for others will vary from skater to skater. Using all of these excuses is just a way of trying to diminish Wakaba’s achievement.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
You were already wrong in your prediction that she wasn’t going to make the podium, so why are you trying to downplay her accomplishments by adding all these conditionals about why it was easier for her?

Not downplaying anything. She took advantage of extraordinary circumstances. Results are everything. If she can convince herself that she's overcome her demons, then she has.

Joekaz

On the Ice
You can just as easily argue she had the most pressure of anyone because she didn't go 2 the Olympics. I just guess If everyone agrees than there is no point in sports. That's what makes it exciting. Lol

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
By the way i'm.glad about how Mai and Wakaba ended their season, after Japanese nationals disappointment (and rude comments).

sakurano

Final Flight
I think this is a great end to the season and that this thread is no longer a thread or hate on some skaters, but it is a thread or we celebrate the feat of Japanese skaters :)
Now more than wait for June to know the GPS and GPJ spots and know who will be supported by the JFS.

Kaori, Wakaba, May, Satoko, Yuna S, Rika Hongo, Sailor, Nana, Mako, Yuhana, Rika K
Rin

Japan to the future with all these talents

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I think this is a great end to the season and that this thread is no longer a thread or hate on some skaters, but it is a thread or we celebrate the feat of Japanese skaters :)
Now more than wait for June to know the GPS and GPJ spots and know who will be supported by the JFS.

Kaori, Wakaba, May, Satoko, Yuna S, Rika Hongo, Sailor, Nana, Mako, Yuhana, Rika K
Rin

Japan to the future with all these talents

Has Marin Honda retired, or are you just writing her off?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm waiting for Nana Araki's breakout season to happen!! :biggrin:
If Rika moves up, she can become Japanese junior #1 over Mako, I think

iamchrislao

On the Ice
I disagree with zanadude. It really varies. Ask nathan chen and mao asada. The olympics could either be so tiring or the perfect practice session for fine-tuning. Both nathan and mao used their learnings from the games and delivered to win world gold. Nathan did say he learned so much from the games and used that to his advantage here. So wakaba can say she was at a disadvantage coz she didnt get to fine-tune as much as those who made the games. Could be either way, really. The learnings from the olympics no doubt are a different animal from some challenger series.

...If she possessed the powers of precognition and knew that Alina and Caro will bomb, and some of the other skaters capable of getting big LP scores will not skate at their best, and Satoko will not make any too point-costly mistakes (she's usually reliable, but her injury/bone density problems have affected her consistency this season, and even her actual LP score could be not enough if the other contenders haven't underperformed)...

Plus, there's the fact that Wakaba's SP score (65.89) was roughly the same as the one she got at the previous Worlds (65.87). I... try not to be superstitious, but if I were in Wakaba's shoes, I'd be freaking out a bit :biggrin: Never mind the fact that she'd probably liked to win the spots in a convincing fashion, not to hang on by a thread thanks to Satoko's consistency. The JSF have trusted her over Kaori, so performing at least as well as Kaori was probably on Wakaba's mind, is she wanted to keep her federation's favour.

Not downplaying anything. She took advantage of extraordinary circumstances. Results are everything. If she can convince herself that she's overcome her demons, then she has.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I haven't filtered through the threads yet, but I know there were people blaming Wakaba last season for losing 3 spots or shading Miyahara for not being a contender.

Well, Wakababy and Satoko slayed - going 2 and 3. :clap: And we kept those people's receipts... where are they at now? :slink: :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of course, she was very lucky here. Like Stephen Bradbury, four skaters in front of her literally fell down to hand her a medal. Nonetheless, results are everything, and if she can use this as the base to shake the choker label once and for all, then there will be more WC podiums in her future.

Please. She skated a sublime free skate.

It's so ridiculous to be like "the only reason the skater won is because they skated really well and other skaters who were favoured to beat them did not skate well". Like, DUH. That's how competitions are.

Are we going to trivialize every skater, who's projected to come 5th-ish, for making the podium and doing well, while others falter? Was she simply "lucky" to land both her 3Z+3T combos in her FS?

Like damn, if her main opponents skatde well and beat Wakaba it's "Told you so! She never had a chance!" and if her opponents skated poorly and she beat them it's "Well, they gave her the medal." Honestly. :rolleye: Give this girl some credit... she fought back from Olympic disappointment and SLAYED.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm waiting for Nana Araki's breakout season to happen!! :biggrin:
If Rika moves up, she can become Japanese junior #1 over Mako, I think

I don't see Mako stay junior. Yes Nana can become japanese
junior #1, over Yuhana if she stays junior like she said. But there are other girls who can challenge them i think. Like Rinka Watanabe, Tomoe Kawabata, Or Sui Takeuchi. I don't know if Hanna Yoshida will be junior next season.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I think "Sailor" is Marin. Maybe a translation error.
Yes, it’s a translation mistake.

I love Marin, but she really needs to step up in training. Russia and Japan both have a deep Ladies field, and if one is lagging... one will be out.
Of course, thanks to Satton and Wakababy the 3 spots are back, but for now Kaori and Mai are the front runner for this spot.
I don’t know what Marin is planning yet for next season, but she’s a very graceful skater and I hope she’ll fight to prove that she’s still in the race (though most importantly she needs to rest as she was injured recently).

Sportfan

Match Penalty
Yes, it’s a translation mistake.

I love Marin, but she really needs to step up in training. Russia and Japan both have a deep Ladies field, and if one is lagging... one will be out.
Of course, thanks to Satton and Wakababy the 3 spots are back, but for now Kaori and Mai are the front runner for this spot.
I don’t know what Marin is planning yet for next season, but she’s a very graceful skater and I hope she’ll fight to prove that she’s still in the race (though most importantly she needs to rest as she was injured recently).

Why do people believe Russia has a "deep ladies field", like, where, i don't see it :laugh:

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Marin's first season as a senior left a lot to be desired so she needs to seriously get it together for the upcoming season. She's my favorite Japanese lady since Mao and I want nothing more than for her to achieve greats results like Wakaba or Satoko.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Marin only needs more motivation and work. Her URs are not chronic like Satoko and she doesn't have edge issues. So technically she can be back in the game. The main concern is the consistency. She's more the kind of skater who delivers when it count and not all the season.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Why do people believe Russia has a "deep ladies field", like, where, i don't see it :laugh:

Let me direct you to the 2018-2019 State of Russian Ladies' Skating and 2018-2019 Russian Ladies JGP team threads...

Is Marin guaranteed any GP spots?