2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating

yude

Record Breaker
isn't rika's ring finger fractured? she had a cast on it or something. don't know much about skating but maybe that was bothering her? i also thought it was weird that she was doing 3lz3t in warm up but anyway she says she wants to stabilize her 3A and add a quad so i think there's something good to be gained out of a bad outing. she can fully rotate 4S and her 4T isn't so bad. 3A in SP and 4S 3A 3A3T in FS would be cool and can get big points. she's already a very complete skater.

Yes, Rika fractured left ring finger in the middle of January, and she also said she had lost the sense of competition and not feeling like she could land the jumps.

https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2018031100223&g=spo

In next season, Mako aims for 4S, Rika for 4T and 4S, and Yuhana for 3A.

https://this.kiji.is/345692113750754401?c=39550187727945729

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
As for Hamada's students, only Satoko has really small jumps and that has more to do with her physique.
I wonder if Miyahara's jumps would have been bigger if she hadn't been forced to learn to jump counter-clockwise. I heard somewhere (CBC?) that she was initially a clockwise jumper like Osmond and Kostner. I can't imagine how hard it would be to overcome that natural tendency. (Just tried a waltz jump on the floor in my opposite direction; it wasn't pretty. )

So Yamashita, Kihira, Yokoi--will any of them move to senior next year? Yamashita is 24th on the Seasons Bests list. If that is still the case once Worlds is done, she would qualify a spot on the Senior Grand Prix next year.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
So Yamashita, Kihira, Yokoi--will any of them move to senior next year? Yamashita is 24th on the Seasons Bests list. If that is still the case once Worlds is done, she would qualify a spot on the Senior Grand Prix next year.

Yokoi will have to move up, as she will age out (and she confirmed moving into senior next season in the interview as well). With her placement on the podium, Mako can move up as well. Not quite sure about Rika's case now.

On the other hand, judging from the team/club these girls belong to:
Yuhana: from Howa, and moving up senior means she'll be training with Rika Hongo, and Rin Nitaya (who may be retiring in another 1 or 2 years)
Mako: from Yamad/Higuchi team, if moving up will be training/ competing with Yura Matsuda (and Higuchi will devote much more time in men's competitions, I assume...)
Rika: from Hamada team, if moving up will be competing with Satoko, Marin, Yuna....(too crowded?)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I really think Rika needs more competitive experience.
Mako needs a total repackaging and then she could become a star with her good jumps.
Yuhana needs to do seniors, but I think she'd be doing CS rather than the GP

Nana really should have been at JWC :( she would've KILLED it :)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mako needs a total repackaging and then she could become a star with her good jumps.

Like she killed it at Nationals?

yude

Record Breaker
Yokoi will have to move up, as she will age out (and she confirmed moving into senior next season in the interview as well). With her placement on the podium, Mako can move up as well. Not quite sure about Rika's case now.

This article on March. 11 says Yuhana said she would be 18 but be staying in Jr next season. (but I haven't seen her interview, I'm sorry if this info is old.)

https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2018031100222&g=spo

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
This article on March. 11 says Yuhana said she would be 18 but be staying in Jr next season. (but I haven't seen her interview, I'm sorry if this info is old.)

https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2018031100222&g=spo

hm~ let me hold my previous comment then...I may have caught this news cited and interpreted it wrongly. But it really doesn't make much sense that she wants to stay junior for another season... :scratch2: (I wonder why skaters from Howa tend to hold their jr years for that long...it happened to Rin as well)

sk8ath

On the Ice

I think a clean Yuhana will score higher than Nana.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Killed it? Her personal best is 183.00. Which is less than Yuhana's 184.78 at WJC.

skatenewbie

Medalist
I think Rika will move up, even if she's out of top 24 SB list. the JSF can pick her as host pick for NHK and probably she can get another GP with how close she is with top 24 and there is 3 juniors in top 24 currently. In seniors she can add 3A in SP too. So my guess for senior next season:

Rika K, Mai, Satoko, Wakaba, Kaori, Rika H, Yuhana, Mako, Marin.

From that list probably Yuhana is the one who didnt get GP. Rika H also is not in good position (below Rika K and Mako in SB list, idk about her World rank though). So its doable with 3 juniors moving up. But that left japan junior skaters a bit weaker. Only few can score 180+ in junior currently

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Nana got a 110 in the FS of the local comp so....

Like Yuhana got less than 110 at some local comps.

I think a clean Yuhana will score higher than Nana.

Killed it? Her personal best is 183.00. Which is less than Yuhana's 184.78 at WJC.

Clean she would have got at least 64 in SP (her PB) and 120-125 in FS (her PB is 120).

I think that it would be better to say that Yuhana did good at JWC rather than speak like if Nana was inferior to Yuhana and couldn't have get the same score.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think the biggest problem Rika K is facing if she moves up to senior is the competition for grand prix spots. You can only have a max of 18 spots available, but it is highly unlikely that Japan will get all 18. Last year, Russia got 17 (2 at skate canada), and Japan had 14 (only 3 at NHK/Cup of China). I think at most they will likely get 16? but not 17 or 18.

This is pending results of worlds, but I don't think we will see much movement, since many top skaters already got points/season best at olympics.

We already know Satoko, Kaori, Mai, Wakaba and Marin are locks for 2 spots (SB & WS in top 24). Rika Hongo (WS 16) will likely get 2, 1 for sure. Mako (SB 23/WJ Bronze) is likely to get at least one event, if not 2. Yura (SB 24) may also be guaranteed 1 spot (if they go senior), unless a Mirai/Karen scores 195.17 to knock someone out.

This brings us to 13~16. Rika could get a host spot, or it might be used to save someone from... skate canada where judges do give out carrots.

Edit: I forgot about Yuhana, but she is ranked lower than Rika in both SB/WS, and is even less likely to get a spot than Rika, who has a 3A.

charlotte14

Medalist
I have heard that Rika Kihira wants to do 4S and 4T, while Mako Yamashita wants to do 4S?
Well they can "want" but... :think:

Caustica

Final Flight
I have heard that Rika Kihira wants to do 4S and 4T, while Mako Yamashita wants to do 4S?
Well they can "want" but... :think:

What's wrong with having such an aim? Of course they would say that - they want to win and now they see what they have to do to win. The first step to getting quads is wanting to get quads.

charlotte14

Medalist
It's not like they can't.
Of course they can't. Their rotation speed can not be as fast as Trusova. And I mean it because I and my friend have been measuring it.
Even Trusova with crazy rotation speed is borderline her quads right now.

charlotte14

Medalist
What's wrong with having such an aim? Of course they would say that - they want to win and now they see what they have to do to win. The first step to getting quads is wanting to get quads.
Rika could have got the silver if she were clean back to back honestly. With two 3As, she could have won over Alena. But nope, finishing that late she says she will do 4S and 4T... well I understand they're children and they think they can do. Just saying if they want to win then quad is not the anwser for them.
Yuna Kim came to Orser thinking she must get a 3A to win Olympics. In the end, she ditched the 3Lo to win.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Of course they can't. Their rotation speed can not be as fast as Trusova. And I mean it because I and my friend have been measuring it.
Even Trusova with crazy rotation speed is borderline her quads right now.

It's not because you want/think that only Trusova and others Eteri's girls can land quads that others can't land them.
Rika can do a complete 4S.

Kara

Final Flight
Rika has other issues to worry about than another hard jump IMO. I think she should move up to seniors even if she only gets 1 GP as there's no benefit to her staying in juniors anymore when she can't do her 3A in the SP. It's clearly a mental issue at this point and I don't think more junior competitions will help that.