Moving moments | Golden Skate

Moving moments

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This might be somehow a superfluous thread, but I just wish to celebrate some moving moments at Figure Skating Competitions. The one that ranks first with me is the back stage at the 2018 Olympics Pair Skating. It started with the thoroughly unhappy Tarasova/Morosov in the Kiss and Cry for whom the event was just so disappointing (and thankfully immediately turned towards the Green Room) and ended with the emotional Green Room athletes of that same competition and the unbelieveably sporting 2's and 3's there, with a lot of crying of all. Most people comment on Aljona's final gold medal, but I particularly loved Bruno's reactions. He was so emotional. This may be the highest moving moment, but I've seen others I enjoyed just as much...silly maybe but Andrej Hotarek lifting Yuru at the end of the Exhibition gala was another one, as was Charlie Whites totally exhausted putting down his head after his and Meryl's free dance at Sochi in 2014, as well as Miyahara's reaction (and her Coach's) to her points at the 2018 Olympics. She may have ended fourth but still, and Boyang Jin's reaction to his points at these Olympics. Wenjing Sui's reactions are always moving, and this Olympics she managed to be and emotional and showing great sportmanship. I was moved in 2014 by Sotskova's reactions, and (years ago) by Elvis Stoyko's 1998 2nd finish when he finally showed the pain he had been under (very, very moving), as well as Michelle's hurt when she did not win the Olympic gold in the same year. So, I would love some of you to respond: what moved you the most in the competitions? I don't want to see any "wuz robbed' unhappiness, just what moved you, whatever the outcome.

kresslia

Medalist
I was in tears watching V/M's FD this year. I honestly didn't believe they would win gold here after the marks P/C got all year. I thought, once again, they would be 2nd place. They got me into figure skating in Vancouver, and I couldn't believe 8 years later I was watching them nail a program for their 2nd Olympic gold. While I never disliked the program as much as a lot of people on here, it truly reached a new, classic level in Pyeongchang. When their scores came up I screamed and cried even more.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I liked Evgenia getting herself back together to hug Alina and congratulate her with her win.
I also liked Kaetlyn hugging Evgenia quickly after that.

Yuzuru crying about Javier retiring and Shoma's quite hilarious:scratch2:face as he gets pulled into their threeway hug.

Ashley Wagner winning her silver medal in Boston and the sheer joy of that moment, both for her and US figure skating.

Satoko proving she is back at Skate America last year.

Fierce Alexandra Trusova landing two quads after trying all year for the 4S.

Yuna Kim winning gold in Vancouver despite all that immense pressure.
Bonus: Yuna lighting the torch at Pyeongchang.

Bonus+: whenever Misha Ge shows up in exhibitions.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I liked Evgenia getting herself back together to hug Alina and congratulate her with her win.
I also liked Kaetlyn hugging Evgenia quickly after that.

Yuzuru crying about Javier retiring and Shoma's quite hilarious:scratch2:face as he gets pulled into their threeway hug.

Ashley Wagner winning her silver medal in Boston and the sheer joy of that moment, both for her and US figure skating.

Satoko proving she is back at Skate America last year.

Fierce Alexandra Trusova landing two quads after trying all year for the 4S.

Yuna Kim winning gold in Vancouver despite all that immense pressure.
Bonus: Yuna lighting the torch at Pyeongchang.

Bonus+: whenever Misha Ge shows up in exhibitions.

Oh yes, Evgenia getting herself back together was moving, as was Kaetlyn's reaction when she got the bronze. And Rapunzel (you'll know why I call her that) Trusova getting the two quads was just very, very moving. I loved her programme, especially because she skates young (and should; why should a 13-year-old skate mature) and yes, that bonus. I love Misha! Love these responses!

Tulipstar

Medalist
Oh yes, Evgenia getting herself back together was moving, as was Kaetlyn's reaction when she got the bronze. And Rapunzel (you'll know why I call her that) Trusova getting the two quads was just very, very moving. I loved her programme, especially because she skates young (and should; why should a 13-year-old skate mature) and yes, that bonus. I love Misha! Love these responses!

Yup, Rapunzel Quadsova already has quite a lot of nicknames:laugh:

And thank you for starting such a fun and positive topic:agree:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I was in tears watching V/M's FD this year. I honestly didn't believe they would win gold here after the marks P/C got all year. I thought, once again, they would be 2nd place. They got me into figure skating in Vancouver, and I couldn't believe 8 years later I was watching them nail a program for their 2nd Olympic gold. While I never disliked the program as much as a lot of people on here, it truly reached a new, classic level in Pyeongchang. When their scores came up I screamed and cried even more.

I'm even pleased with this reaction, despite my own not really liking V/M's latest efforts. It's about what moved you, and their FD obviously did! Yay!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
How about Sabina Zagitova's reaction to learning that her sister won the Olympics?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Love all of this. I'm terribly sentimental and easily moved. I love it when others are similar, even if it's with different skaters. I mean, I cried with S/M's FS, but I also cried with M/D's and S/H's Free skates, and I made a big effort not to cry with the Men's....but reading about others' feelings. It's just wonderful, even if we will never agree on the skaters involved. Not the point. So happy people are responding anyway!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Shoma Uno's tears after his free skate at Boston Worlds 2016. It's not a joyful moment. It's painful to watch, especially him being interviewed just seconds after that. Watch it if you think that Shoma has no feelings, or acts emotionless. This was two years ago. And I think it helped to make him into the strong competitor that he is today. Shoma for World Champion!

I never got the negativism about Shoma's reactions...he's just more introvert than others. But his coach is somewhat different. Wow! And he didnt seem unhappy or something, just less exuberant than others. Come to think of it, Javi moved me too...finally getting his Olympic medal..

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
that Javi/Yuzuru moment was pure gold. Such a wonderful bromance.

S/M winning made me quite emotional and as S/H fan I was little surprised but I was really happy for them.

:hijacked: The Olympic moment that still makes me cry like a baby is when that British runner develops a cramp and his dad rushes down from the stand to help him cross the finish line.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jinseo Kim was totally overcome with emotion after skating his SP at Helsinki Worlds. I think the rest of us were (cheering and!) crying along with him. He did not qualify to skate the FS, but it was a victory of sorts for him when he received a Season's Best score with all Lev. 4 spins and the rest very clean. Very moving moment! https://youtu.be/mPdV3SELgps?t=333

lappo

Final Flight
Mao in Sochi and Nathan in Korea after their LP. So bittersweet, the both of them...
Yuna last exhibition to Turandot.
Yulia at Rostelecom, especially after knowing all the pain she was through...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Mao in Sochi and Nathan in Korea after their LP. So bittersweet, the both of them...
Yuna last exhibition to Turandot.
Yulia at Rostelecom, especially after knowing all the pain she was through...

I'm with you on these too...

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yuzuru getting in World podium one year after the earthquake (Romeo & Juliet 1.0 with both Nanami sensei and Yuzuru crying after the performance, podium) both moment when he realized he was Olympic Champion in Sochi , and the hold last group of men in Pyeongchang (the green room, Yuzuru´s performance, Javier and Shoma, Jin Boyang crying, the hug between the podium men, Borser doing his "you are doing amazing sweety" interpretation, and the plushy ceremony)
Mao LP in Sochi
Meryl and Charlie Sochi LP
Aljona Savchenko and Bruno LP in Pyenongchang
Mirai ex after knowing she was out of Olympic team in Sochi

esteticlove

Final Flight
From the current season on the top for me is definitely the reaction of S/M winning the gold at the Olympics. I would even say the whole last group - from the start to the finish, with all the joyful and sad moments at the K&C and also their lovely programs. I was feeling high :dance2:
Also Medvedeva's EX at Euros this year brought me to tears from the start. :sad46:

From the past what comes first to my mind is seeing Stephane Lambiel crying during the medal ceremony at the Olympics in 2006.