Moving moments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Moving moments

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Scott Moir jumping up towards the audience where his family was sitting in Korea and his brothers grabbing him and pulling him up to hug him (with his skates on), they've done this at past Olympics too. :biggrin:

I just looked and someone got it on video! :biggrin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfcbek3h7VT/

steiner

Rinkside
Mao bursting into tears after giving a truly magnificent free skate in Sochi.

Michelle Kwan’s Fields of Gold exhibition in Salt Lake City.

Yuzuru’s exhibitions dedicated to the victims and survivors of the Tohoku earthquake.

I get a little emotional whenever I see a skater cry, honestly. I’m a big softie like that.

lappo

Final Flight
Mao bursting into tears after giving a truly magnificent free skate in Sochi.

Michelle Kwan’s Fields of Gold exhibition in Salt Lake City.

Yuzuru’s exhibitions dedicated to the victims and survivors of the Tohoku earthquake.

I get a little emotional whenever I see a skater cry, honestly. I’m a big softie like that.

I knew I forgot something from my list...thanks for reminding me of that amazing EX! Truly one of the most emotional moment of FS, IMO (also Yags "Overcome" was quite an emotional depiction of his journey, but even mighty Alexei could not reach the truly heartbreaking effect of Michelle).

nguyhm

On the Ice
Mirai at the end of her long program at 2018 US Nationals and her reactions as she took her bow as well as in the K&C when her scores came up. The whole arena was on their feet when she was doing her last spin (before her even finishing her program). It was very emotional. Knowing the journey she has had to get there, the audience's reaction said it all - she made it.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Joannie Rochette keeping it together for both a SP and FS in Vancouver to win an Olympic medal within days of her mother's sudden death.

Javi's FS in Boston - although Yuzu hadn't skated clean, he had to be damn near perfect to make up the points difference after the SP and he did it. I'll miss him desperately.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

:rofl: That's hilarious! There's also one where Stephane is replaced by a zebra that always makes me laugh. But in all seriousness, he was so happy and that was touching. I also liked when doing his victory lap, Plushy gave a huge smile! Sure he looks srs bsns on the podium, but he was happy!

Joannie Rochette keeping it together for both a SP and FS in Vancouver to win an Olympic medal within days of her mother's sudden death.

Yeah, that was so touching...Joannie was bravery personified! I don't know how she did it, I guess her mother was smiling down on her.

Javi's FS in Boston - although Yuzu hadn't skated clean, he had to be damn near perfect to make up the points difference after the SP and he did it. I'll miss him desperately.

Javi winning the Worlds was magical to be sure! Is this the one where he couldn't believe it and made what can only be described as goat noises? :laugh:

To add some of my own: Nathan's FS in Pyenongchang, after the short I was really quite worried about him and then he came out and threw down! (The pressure was off I guess, but he had to be disappointed and embarrassed thanks to the media hype)

Aliona and Bruno's FS in Pyenongchang, I didn't get a chance to see it live, but when I watched it later I got goosebumps! A wonderful program, it was perfect! And their reaction to realising they'd won was beautiful!

And I loved this moment at the end of Plushy's FS at the Team event in the Kiss and Cry where Mishin and David (the choreographer) are like shaking Plushy's shoulders and going "YAAAAY!!! You did it!" :laugh:

Yuzu's getting the back to back golds at Pyenongchang, what a moment! And the group hug with Javi and Shoma with Brian O in the background...:)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javi winning Worlds in 2016 (and the goat noises :rofl: )

Aliona & Bruno after their free skate :bow:

Yuzu, Javi, Shoma in their group hug, & proud "Papa" Brian! :luv17:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max's heartbroken eyes. The one thing I never wanted to see again. :cry: :cry:

Brendan sitting in the kiss and cry in Sochi sobbing as he realised he'd blown his Olympic moment. Mirrored then by the moment of pure joy that lit up his whole body when he completed his SP in Korea and knew that he hadn't blown it this time.

Evgenia when her scores came up and she realised that Alina had been put ahead of her.

Jason and Max shining brightly at 4CC.

Joshua's perfect, incomparable Schindler's List at 4CC 2015. We didn't know, we couldn't know, that it was one of the last times we'd ever see him skate. :cry:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I've only been a FS fan since last season and one of the most moving moments for me came from a competition I didn't even follow at the time, and from a skater I didn't know much about when I watched that particular video. But the commentators of the video I watched were talking about how the skater had been a favorite for gold and then ended so far back after the SP that she had no chance at the podium anymore. And then the skater had an amazing FS and cried after she finished and I couldn't help crying myself either. This was the first performance by Mao Asada I ever saw and has remained one of the most iconic memories since I started following FS.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Most of what I wanted to mention has already been posted, like Mao in Sochi, Joannie in Vancouver or Hanyu in Pyeongchang. Off the top of my head, let me nominate also the reaction of Faiella/Scali after the FD that won them bronze at their last Worlds. And recently, both of Sota Yamamoto's programs at his Nationals 3 months ago; a moving comeback after a nasty injury.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Most moving for me has to be seeing Bruno and Aljona after they realized their lights out FS had been enough to get them gold, PLUS the really lovely congratulations from Meagan and Eric and Sui and Han. All 3 are such great competitors but also extremely gracious. It was a long sought after gold for Aljona especially who had switched from Ukraine to Germany, changed three skate partners and endured citizenship nightmares before she and Bruno finally grabbed that long coveted gold medal. She’s got to be the most competitive badass female skater ever.

lappo

Final Flight
Most of what I wanted to mention has already been posted, like Mao in Sochi, Joannie in Vancouver or Hanyu in Pyeongchang. Off the top of my head, let me nominate also the reaction of Faiella/Scali after the FD that won them bronze at their last Worlds. And recently, both of Sota Yamamoto's programs at the Nationals 3 monhs ago; a moving comback after a nasty injury.

Thanks for reminding me of Joannie. They could put a photo of her beside the word "inspirational" on the vocabulary.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/aoitori1207/status/973144830934056960 this is also the sweetest thing, Yuzu bursting into tears again when Javi gets on the podium, this is after their hug.

The Yuzuru-Javi Bromance makes me happy. I hope they are friends forever. It's so nice to see men be able to bond and express love for each other without everyone being all weirded out by it. Men from my generation are often uncomfortable even giving another guy a hug.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thanks all for supplying such lovely moments, some of which I really needed to be reminded of because I had forgotten them - or rather not thought of in first instance while they really were very moving. Quite a few made me have to brush away a tear (again).

yude

Record Breaker
This may be off topic since this is not the moment in the competition, but every time I think about Anna Pogorilaya, I remember this performance in Fantasy On Ice of 2017. She was emotional all through the performance and cried at the end, had beautiful hug with the singer. I'm looking forward to seeing her smile again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=92&v=4vPUkebSdo0