Who will you miss the most? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will you miss the most?

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I am literally misting up as I think of Javi retiring. From following the beginnings of his senior career when he didn't even qualify for the free skate at worlds or Europeans to winning both within 10 years and then getting his Olympic medal, I couldn't be prouder of him. He bought personality and a different flair to the sport that nobody can match.

I will also miss the beautiful pure skating of Patrick and Carolina and the perfect unison of Tessa and Scott. Not sure what Aljona and Bruno plan to do but I'll greatly miss them if they retire.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For me it's Elladj Balde. I'm glad he had two great outings to end his competitive career with, but there's no one else like him and I'll be sad not to see him in competition any more. Still, at least there will still be things like his solo spot at this year's Art on Ice to look forward to!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Quite a few but what stands out is the whole Canadian contingent of retirees. When will we ever see a group like that again? It seemed like the Skate Gods sprinkled some magic medal dust over them at the Olympics! Now we're back to reality and new growth.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Big miss will be the all round camaraderie of Team Canada. It just won’t be the same without the steadiness of Meagan and Eric and of course Tessa and Scott anchoring them all and rooting for PChiddy to go lights out. We will certainly miss the lot of them.

IceCastles1814v

Rinkside
I will miss Tessa & Scott, Javier, and Patrick the most. It's definitely the end of an Era with the so many top skaters potentially retiring.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I may quit watching men's skating when Yuzuru Hanyu retires. I will miss seeing him at Worlds and hope to see him next season. I have never seen a skater who is so completely as one with his music as Yuzu is. No one else measures up to him in that regard.

amberg

Rinkside
Tessa & Scott, Misha Ge and Patrick Chan - all with such beautiful artistry and emotion in their programs.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Javi the most (although I am hoping, like many others on here, that he will do another Euro's), but I will also miss Patrick who may not have done so well during the last few years but still was always a joy to watch, as well as Adam (whom I expect will not return so he can bow out on a high). I'm hoping Yuru continues despite not attending World's but if he does retire, I'm going to miss him too. I am going to miss Carolina because I don't expect her to continue (it was already great to have her back for a few years). I certainly am going to miss D/R as I always enjoyed their skating and of course S/M (but I'm hoping they'll stay on for another year) who have just been great since they turned up as a pair in 2015. Admittedly, I am not going to miss V/M that much (sorry V/M fans), but I would miss W/P if they would retire ,as well as S/S (of whom we don't know if they will as they're still young), C/B, B/S and C/L. Quite a list. Just hoping some of the ones mentioned will not go yet, and give us all another year (or two) of their skating/dancing!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin Reynolds. Yes he didn't have the best artistry. Yes he was prone for underrotations. Yes he didn't win a lot of senior international medals, but I liked his skating a lot. He was very creative in music choices and we were assured he wouldn't pick warhorses. He's one of only 2-3 people I consider to be inspirations in my life. While I wish I became a fan of him earlier, I don't regret it. When he was on, he looked great. If it weren't for me becoming a fan, I (as well as a friend I made through Instagram almost 4 years ago who's from Germany) maybe wouldn't have looked up the rules for skating and on what constituted as levels in spins and step sequences (Though honestly I can't for the life of me remember stuff on step sequences too much), rules for programs, and me started creating programs in my head (Minus the actual choreography). Though maybe I would have, but much later. It has been a journey being a fan of him. Can compare it to a roller coaster with highs and lows. But lows can make you stronger and more dedicated. I'm very fortunate that he got a 2017 Skate America assignment. Because I got to see him skate in person and I met him. Best weekend of 2017. I will miss him skating, but I will have the memories and I'm sure he'll accomplish what lies ahead of him.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Quite a few but what stands out is the whole Canadian contingent of retirees. When will we ever see a group like that again? It seemed like the Skate Gods sprinkled some magic medal dust over them at the Olympics! Now we're back to reality and new growth.
Yeah, the seven people standing on the podium for the Team gold really were the dream team for Canadian figure skating (Chan, admittedly, past his prime, but still on a different level than anybody else we have at the moment). I'm optimistic about some of the people that look to be the main medal hopes for Beijing, but the benchmark set in Pyeongchang is so high it'll be very hard to reach it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well for men it is Javi Javi Javi. I hoped he would win silver and secretly hoped he would best Hanyu. Everyone loves Javier do we not??

I could see some disappointment on his face and even on Brians’s face. Brian really wanted these guys as one two and he knew from Shoma’ s debut Shoma was a force to be reckoned with. Maybe if Javier had a better season... hey Javi is twice beat Hanyu. It could have happened in Korea.

So I am very sad to see Javi retire with no Soi to grab him as they surely would have back in the day. That lucky crew of 90’s skater rich and famous.

Who leaving leaves a hole in your heart? Te amo mi Javi. Tu tienes mi corazon por siempre.:bow:

SOI grabbed hm for Canada. Canada is more friendly to international skaters than the US. You think the US wold grab a Virtue and Moir who are in some ways more marketable than Javier. Javier is a nice and charming and some say sexy guy but the US has lots of top skaters for SOI and personality with Rippon.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I keep forgetting the second and third string skaters. Yes, it will be sad to say farewell to Rippon,Balde, Firus, Miner, Voronov if he goes,Misha, Denis Ten if he goes and his fading ifs far worse than Chan's, Pogo - I am not sure if she will return,, Reynolds and even his horrible hair, Wagner if she calls it quits,..

Diok

Rinkside
Tessa and Scott :( I've re watched a lot of their programs on Youtube god are they not the most versatile dance team EVER. :(
This years SD and FD were phenomenal and they will be on Ellen on March 20th! I want them to stay for 1 last olympics.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I may quit watching men's skating when Yuzuru Hanyu retires. I will miss seeing him at Worlds and hope to see him next season. I have never seen a skater who is so completely as one with his music as Yuzu is. No one else measures up to him in that regard.

I know what you mean. Do you remember when he was younger and after each skate he was totally gasping for air. He has gotten so much better with his asthma.

I will miss Patrick Chan, and Javi and Ashley so much. Also I will miss Carolina's sexy Bolero program.

I'm still back in the 2002 era and miss those skaters sooooo much, the best of all time. I had a friend say.............get over it already. :laugh: :laugh: