Who will you miss the most? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will you miss the most?

Manitou

Medalist
Katia Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev. I feel sorry they were never lucky enough to win something big. In my opinion they were much better than their actual accomplishments can suggest.

noskates

Record Breaker
Patrick and Javi. It's almost as if the last of the classy skaters will be gone.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Javier's presence in skating has just been so cool to me, so I will miss the positivity that surrounds him and he himself. He's such an icon in Spain and all over the world!

I'll miss seeing Patrick compete, but wish him the best. I want him to find something that he enjoys more than competing at this point in time.

I'll miss Voronov when he retires.... but he keeps insisting season after season that he won't!

Big Deal

Final Flight
Virtue/Moir...... I remember the sudden "hiatus" after Sochi in the quality of Ice Dance. Than Papadakis/Cizeron transiently saved the situation with their unique style.
My bad feeling is it will soon make the judges get tired of it (and not only judges. Their points can literally NOT improve, and others have 4 years to close the gap, which is not that huge)......
Savchenko and Duhamel/Radford. When they retire that is also the end of an era, but I find the new era quite exciting. Nevertheless this last 4 years was to improve Pair skating so fast and high it was never experienced before.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
By far, Kevin Reynolds and Misha Ge. I hope both reconsider and continue to skate a few more years, just for fun. Javier, please don't stop!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Interestingly I find it easier to move on from skaters who have "retired" once already and are now retiring a second time - V/M, Patrick, Mao was like that and possibly Caro, but I think I will miss people like Javi and Misha more. Especially people from smaller feds that are in a sense the face of their country in figure skating. They leave a void when they retire. But hopefully there is new talent coming up.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Katia Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev. I feel sorry they were never lucky enough to win something big. In my opinion they were much better than their actual accomplishments can suggest.

Totally agree with you. It would be easier if they had one last big individual medal.
I'll also miss Javi, but I'm sure he'll be around for lots of shows for some time to come.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Patrick Chan. I was never an uber so was surprised at how sad I felt realising that was his last competitive performance; his skating skills are just breath taking. I so wanted him to perform those programs the way they could be.

Virtue and Moir are a close second, but it feels right if they retire this time and I have a big backlog of recorded videos

Mao's retirement already saddened me - one of the few women to break through my disenchantment with women's skating and like Patrick she never got that gold

ChanClan

On the Ice
Since they are the only skaters to ever make me feel anything while watching skating, I'm going to have to go with Virtue and Moir. Watching figure skating is never going to be the same for me without them.

Also Patrick Chan... and not just because we share a last name :p. Actually... make that all the Canadians that are retiring. It's been such a great team for Canada since they've all been together and it's going to be really strange to see them all go but I'm very excited for some of the up and coming Canadians so hopefully they have the chance to become just as great as the team in South Korea.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, a friend said Han Yan was retiring - but I can't find any source on it. Does anyone know for sure?

If he is I'll miss him a lot. This season has been a struggle for him, but what would Han's skating be without the drama?

MIM

Medalist
The world will survive and there shall be lots of interesting talents coming up every season from all around the world, but Patrick’s retirement and not being able to see him at competitions will leveave a big void in my heart... His skating is truly special and cannot be replaced.

Javi reinvented himself since Sochi. His programs, choice of music have been always spot on. Unlike most elite skaters, he becomes a better skater every season. It was delightful to witness his endless progress and chill attitude towards life and sports. I will miss him.

OniBan

Final Flight
Patrick Chan ;__;
I was never quite a fan until I saw him live and then kinda wished I had been a fan earlier XD
But I will never forget that moment when it just dawned on how he is really a class apart when it comes to his skating skills - that it's not enough to see it thru TV, it's something you just have to see in person. And once you've seen it- you will never forget it.
May the sublime glide of his blades over the competitive ice live forever more in our memories.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Have they fully retired? I know they aren't going to Worlds, but I dunno....
No formal announcement, but I can’t imagine them coming back. The judges in general favour P/C now; V/M pulled their second win by the skin of their teeth, and thanks as much as anything to a faulty strap. It’s hard for me to see them risking ending things with an international competition loss, having already written the perfect, triumphant ending. Indeed, the whole reason they came back was because they didn’t want to leave things as they had in Sochi.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
If I had to pick just one skater, Patrick is DEFINITELY at the very top of my list (but I'll save my gushing for the Fan Fest).

And I'll also miss V&M, Javi, Misha, Carolina, and C&L. I'll miss D&R's SBS 3Lzs and how they attacked their programs and skated with such fierceness.

Is Satoko going to continue? What about Aliona and Bruno? I got the impression that maybe Aliona wants to stay in competition but Bruno doesn't. Both Satoko and S&M would be on that list if they are retiring now. I'm amazed that a team who has been together for only 4 years (less, even) would make that list, but they would.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan. I was never an uber so was surprised at how sad I felt realising that was his last competitive performance; his skating skills are just breath taking. I so wanted him to perform those programs the way they could be.

Like you, I came to appreciate Patrick's skating more later in his career.

His last season reminded me so much of Brian Boitano's last season. He had beautiful programs, and I mean STUNNING. He could never put the jumps together in competition, but there were moments of such beauty... like a rock solid weaving spread eagle that traversed center ice without a millimeter of movement... that I remember two decades later.

That's kinda how I reflect on Patrick's Olympic season this year. All the pieces were there..,. just never at the same time. But it was glorious, all the same.