Eteri's Coaching Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Eteri's Coaching Team

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm curious to see if Eteri will eclipse TAT's record in producing OGM winners. She could conceivably coach for 3 more decades & look how much she's already accomplished.

Brian hinted at possible retirement after his youngest student finishes, although I guess he might always change his mind.

Impossible, TAT produced also OGM in pairs and ice dance, while Eteri said she has no knowledge to coach in those disciplines, otherwise she would have coached her daughter alone.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Everybody forgot about Professor Alexei Mishin. He has some Oly golds, WCH golds, ECH golds, silvers etc....

moriel

Record Breaker
Tarasova: 60 total, with 45xGold, 12xSilver, 3xBronze (approximate)
Mishin: 59 total, with 26xGold, 17xSilver, 16xBronze
Orser: 42 total, with 23xGold, 10xSilver, 9xBronze
Eteri: 35 total, with 20xGold, 12xSilver, 5xBronze

Mishin (no breakdown because i'm tired):
Olympic Medals - 2xGold, 2xSilver
World Medals - 5xGold, 2xSilver, 4xBronze
European Medals - 10xGold, 6xSilver, 6xBronze
GPF Medals - 6xGold, 3xSilver, 2xBronze

Junior Worlds Medals - 3xGold, 3xSilver, 3xBronze
JGPF Medals - 1xSilver, 1xBronze

Tarasova:
Olympic Medals - 8xGold, 3xSilver
World Medals - 15xGold, 5xSilver, 1xBronze
European Medals - 15xGold, 3xSilver, 1xBronze
4CC Medals - 1xGold, 1xBronze
GPF Medals - 5xGold, 1xSilver

Junior Worlds Medals - 1xGold
JGPF Medals -

I need more info though... When did TAT coach the following skaters? (wiki is very vague on that) Shizuka Arakawa, Maxim Kovtun, Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz, Marina Klimova / Sergey Ponomarenko
Overall, TAT seems to have done lots of collabs, and picked a lot of already sucessfull skaters to coach them for a year or two, so this medal count is approximate.

Do we need more counts?

Skye

On the Ice
As for Eteri, we need to keep in mind she has been coaching for less time than Orser, so she had less Olympic opportunities.

Didn't Orser start coaching with Yuna? I remember him doing a lot of tours with SOI up until 2005? 2006?

lappo

Final Flight
Didn't Orser start coaching with Yuna? I remember him doing a lot of tours with SOI up until 2005? 2006?

Yes. He refused Kim when she went to work in Canada on choreo for the first time in 2006 because he had previous committments with the SOI tour and took her in 2007. It should be 11 year, month in month out.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Impossible, TAT produced also OGM in pairs and ice dance, while Eteri said she has no knowledge to coach in those disciplines, otherwise she would have coached her daughter alone.

I am talking about the # of gold medals overall...I said nothing about collecting them in every discipline. Eteri has time.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
It's interesting how this thread evolved into an Eteri vs Brian Orser comparison discussion when it was not my intention. Orser and Eteri are two very different coaches from different era of this sport.

I've also seen ridiculous comments suggesting Alina to transfer to Brian so she can be more formidable than she already is. Ridiculous and comical.

MiRĂ©

Match Penalty
It's interesting how this thread evolved into an Eteri vs Brian Orser comparison discussion when it was not my intention. Orser and Eteri are two very different coaches from different era of this sport.

I've also seen ridiculous comments suggesting Alina to transfer to Brian so she can be more formidable than she already is. Ridiculous and comical.
You literally asked if it was a “record” and records show there are many coaches who have better track records than Eteri, and Im not saying Eteri’s achievement is any less of other coaches’ achievements just to be clear.

moriel

Record Breaker

So he had 0 coaching experience before yuna?
(actually quite hard to find dates so...)

moriel

Record Breaker

And I agree. Orser had no really good ladies after Yuna (which didnt stay long with him either), so I dont think it would work for girls, and wouldnt like Zagi to be the guinea pig.

withwings

On the Ice
You literally asked if it was a “record” and records show there are many coaches who have better track records than Eteri, and Im not saying Eteri’s achievement is any less of other coaches’ achievements just to be clear.

Do not be so naĂŻve, MiRe. What ever you will say, will be purposefully misinterpreted.

LucyH

On the Ice
Eteri's Medal Harvesting Team

Orser's team produces legends that last more than 1-2 seasons. That's the big difference to me. I really hope Evgenia will be that for them but for now TCC is the best - their skaters take longer to develop but they are world class for a LONG time. Orser is a Canadian legend! We're very proud of TCC :)

russianfan

Match Penalty
Orser's team produces legends that last more than 1-2 seasons. That's the big difference to me. I really hope Evgenia will be that for them but for now TCC is the best - their skaters take longer to develop but they are world class for a LONG time. Orser is a Canadian legend! We're very proud of TCC :)

Evgenia already lasts 3 seasons, so what?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Outside of Orser, is there any other North American or European coaches with as good a track record as the Russian coaches mentioned here? I guess Ice Dance may produce some but I'm not familiar with the field enough to know. I have the feeling Mishin and Tarasova have the longest and more prolific careers so far. And Eteri is just beginning. :biggrin:

charlotte14

Medalist
So lets compare:
Eteri, 20 years of coaching, 35 medals
Orser, 30 years of coaching, 42 medals
Yuna is among the first students that Orser took in. I did not know from 2010 to 2018 was 30 years. :drama:
Yes Orser did some masterclass before taking Yuna and Adam in, but no way his coaching experience is up to 30 years.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Yuna is among the first students that Orser took in. I did not know from 2010 to 2018 was 30 years. :drama:
Yes Orser did some masterclass before taking Yuna and Adam in, but no way his coaching experience is up to 30 years.

According to Wikipedia, his earliest former students were Rachel Kirkland / Eric Radford in 2005.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The queen is TAT. She produced champions in all four disciplines.

I wonder where those 30 years of coaching for Orser come from.

Lana05

Final Flight
And Eteri isn't coaching for 20 years too. She came to Khrustalnyi in 2008 and started with small kids

merleice

Rinkside
I need more info though... When did TAT coach the following skaters? (wiki is very vague on that) Shizuka Arakawa, Maxim Kovtun, Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz, Marina Klimova / Sergey Ponomarenko
Overall, TAT seems to have done lots of collabs, and picked a lot of already sucessfull skaters to coach them for a year or two, so this medal count is approximate.

Do we need more counts?

TAT coached Shizuka from a few weeks before 2004 Worlds until December 2005.