Eteri's Coaching Team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eteri's Coaching Team

charlotte14

Medalist
And Eteri isn't coaching for 20 years too. She came to Khrustalnyi in 2008 and started with small kids
I remember she came to America and coached there first then returned to Russia. I do not know how long she coached in America. But yeap not 20 years IMO.

merleice

Rinkside
The queen is TAT. She produced champions in all four disciplines.

I wonder where those 30 years of coaching for Orser come from.

Agree about TAT. She really was a champion maker.

No idea how the 30 years came about too. Orser was still competing 30 years ago, 1988 Worlds was his last competition after which he toured for almost 20 years and also made that Carmen on ice movie with Witt and Boitano around 1990. He has aged quite rapidly since he stopped touring and started coaching.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Im most curious to find out who are their

1. Jump Coaches
2. Spin Coaches
3. physical/cardio trainers

These areas are wehre Eteri's students excell

LadyB

Record Breaker
I love both, Eteri and Brian and I think they both do awesome work.
Just on a side note, wonderful TAT was definitely out of this world in her achievements, but we shouldn't forget Jutta Mueller (3 OGM, 10 World titles and more Europeans) and Carlo Fassi (4 OGM and 8 World titles and more Europeans). That's just for the statisticians amongst us. ;)

1. Jump Coaches
2. Spin Coaches

Yeah, this would fit the headline of this thread wonderfully. :thumbsup: Looking forward to more background info.

madison

Record Breaker

1. Jump Coaches
2. Spin Coaches

I read that the tasks aren't clearly divided between the 3 of them (Eteri, Daniil and Sergei Dudakov) , but Sergei is more on the technical part (jumps especially) and Daniil on the choreo. I suppose Eteri supervises everything.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I love both, Eteri and Brian and I think they both do awesome work.
Just on a side note, wonderful TAT was definitely out of this world in her achievements, but we shouldn't forget Jutta Mueller (3 OGM, 10 World titles and more Europeans) and Carlo Fassi (4 OGM and 8 World titles and more Europeans). That's just for the statisticians amongst us. ;)

Thank you for this info! I was looking exactly for more info on other coaches history besides those already mentioned.

merleice

Rinkside
Actually, Orser still look quite young when he first took Hanyu in: https://youtu.be/TGb7gXGlSY0?t=6m8s
Hanyu took away a lot of his hair. :dance2:

:eek:topic:
Lol true! He did lose a lot of hair in the past six years coaching Yuzuru XD

But still, compared to this photo of him with Yuna at 2007 GPF:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wik...2007-2008_GPF_practice.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

He had aged a fair bit compared to the hot coach he was when he started coaching Yuna :love:

charlotte14

Medalist

1. Jump Coaches
2. Spin Coaches

Jumps... most of them are small girls, it’s not a big deal for them to do jumps and fix technique since they’re young.
Spins... in general small girls might learn to spin well quite fast.

The physical/cardio part is interesting. In my opinion they’re more like practicing as many run throughs as possible? I just read an interview with Adealina Sonitkova. It seems she thinks the way Eteri’s girls go out and jump like several dozen of jumps a day too exhausting and might be dangerous (the result is Zhenia got injured before the Olympics).

moriel

Record Breaker
Jumps... most of them are small girls, it’s not a big deal for them to do jumps and fix technique since they’re young.
Spins... in general small girls might learn to spin well quite fast.

The physical/cardio part is interesting. In my opinion they’re more like practicing as many run throughs as possible? I just read an interview with Adealina Sonitkova. It seems she thinks the way Eteri’s girls go out and jump like several dozen of jumps a day too exhausting and might be dangerous (the result is Zhenia got injured before the Olympics).

Well, I dunno what Adelina herself does so she is injured all the time, probably she trains even harder than Zhenya?
I dunno, Zhenya's injuries number seems to be around the average FS stuff

charlotte14

Medalist
Well, I dunno what Adelina herself does so she is injured all the time, probably she trains even harder than Zhenya?
I dunno, Zhenya's injuries number seems to be around the average FS stuff
Actually Adelina said she was very healthy and didn’t have any injury before the Olympics. https://t.co/8sYBuMVDZq?amp=1
All the big injuries came after she went on holidays and came back to training.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Didn't Zhenya's stress facture happen outside of on-ice training? I think it was during cardio, doing a jump over something that she hit her foot on? I forget the details.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I had a big laugh at Orser being a coach for 30 years. :laugh: Yeah, he aged a lot since having Javi and Yuzu as students, but hey he’s still doing well. :p
Yes, Eteri started coaching in the USA before coming back to Russia, but I’m not sure for how long. Was it really 20 years or miscounting again?

BOrser and Eteri are strong coaches, but I’ll just say that TAT remains the top one so far in term of results. :)

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
BOrser and Eteri are strong coaches, but I’ll just say that TAT remains the top one so far in term of results. :)

For me, what's impressive about Eteri is that she built so many skaters from juniors to the top level.

Don't know the history of the rest of Orser's students, but someone else already did 95% of the work with Hanyu and all of Tatiana's students. Yagudin was already a world champion when Tatiana got him.

moriel

Record Breaker
I had a big laugh at Orser being a coach for 30 years. :laugh: Yeah, he aged a lot since having Javi and Yuzu as students, but hey he’s still doing well. :p
Yes, Eteri started coaching in the USA before coming back to Russia, but I’m not sure for how long. Was it really 20 years or miscounting again?

Well, I counted roughly from when he stopped skating lots :dummy:
I dunno how it works in western countries, so i expected he spent about 10 years or more doing base level coaching before getting some star students.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I didn't get - why Orser is discussed here? :confused2:

Because while the title is Eteri's Coaching Team, the OP invited debate on whether their achievements were unprecedented. Same reason why TAT and Mishin have been mentioned. :confused2:

LadyB

Record Breaker
What I really love how not just Brian's coaching skills are being discussed, but also his personal appearance! :rofl:
I used to fancy him around Calgary time and I've spoken to him at Rostelecom 2016. I think he scrubs up very well, not a wrinkle in his face. I also think he just cuts his hair very short, which is a difference to the younger version who often had longish hair. No sign of baldness either. :thumbsup:

While we're at it: Eteri is gorgeous, I wish I'd look like her:agree: ... in which case I would flirt like hell with Daniil! And that brings us back to the actual topic of her coaching team.

lyrichord

Rinkside
For me, what's impressive about Eteri is that she built so many skaters from juniors to the top level.

Don't know the history of the rest of Orser's students, but someone else already did 95% of the work with Hanyu and all of Tatiana's students. Yagudin was already a world champion when Tatiana got him.
Grishuk/Platov were already 1x OGM when they went to her and I think Gordeeva/Grinkov as well (wiki credits her with both 1988 and 1994 golds but I don’t recall that being the case). Tarasova definitely seems like a “finishing school” coach. Orser had great success with Nam as a junior, but Nam flamed out after a huge growth spurt, and his current younger skaters are TBD. Of course Eteri wasn’t able to guide Yulia successfully through puberty either, but she’s seems to have applied the lessons she learned from that case and done much a better job with Medvedeva.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
Grishuk/Platov were already 1x OGM when they went to her and I think Gordeeva/Grinkov as well (wiki credits her with both 1988 and 1994 golds but I don’t recall that being the case). Tarasova definitely seems like a “finishing school” coach. Orser had great success with Nam as a junior, but Nam flamed out after a huge growth spurt, and his current younger skaters are TBD. Of course Eteri wasn’t able to guide Yulia successfully through puberty either, but she’s seems to have applied the lessons she learned from that case and done much a better job with Medvedeva.

Gordeeva/Grinkov winning both those golds is correct.