Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
What a trooper, she competed in PC with her foot hurting and still gave 3 incredible performances.

I hope she takes all the time she needs to rest and heal and then comes back next season with a vengeance! Get better soon Zhenya! :ghug:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ah I forgot to mention her replacement is Stanislava Konstantinova.

bobbob

Medalist
Interesting how all of these skaters act like they weren't injured leading up to the Olympics, but they know they are and fight though it. I wonder why they do that, maybe not to psych themselves out? Sui/Han, Hanyu, Medvedeva

That's a puzzling choice. Isn't she just off a relatively poor performance at Jr. Worlds? Oh, well...the Russian junior ranks have so much more depth than the seniors.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

They're lucky that Zagitova exists because otherwise...

That's a puzzling choice. Isn't she just off a relatively poor performance at Jr. Worlds? Oh, well...the Russian junior ranks have so much more depth than the seniors.

Well she only had 1 pop during the Russian nationals(clean FS) so they gave her 145(211) points. Got 123(186) points at jr worlds with a cleaner skate.

shmy

Rinkside
That's to bad. I was looking forward to watching ZagMeds battle it out again.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Why not Polina though :sad21:
So the thing is, internationally Konstantinova is a 58-60 PCS skater while Polina is a 65+ PCS skater. However, in Russia Konstantinova actually earns 2-3 more PCS than Polina. So Polina had a pop in her free skate and therefore Konstantinova defeated her(even though Konstantinova had an invalid solo jump in her SP).

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
So the thing is, internationally Konstantinova is a 58-60 PCS skater while Polina is a 65+ PCS skater. However, in Russia Konstantinova actually earns 2-3 more PCS than Polina. So Polina had a pop in her free skate and therefore Konstantinova defeated her(even though Konstantinova had an invalid solo jump in her SP).

Yeah I know, I just think it's silly when Polina scored 210 internationally - she could actually medal here!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well that's sad news! Skaters are dropping out of Worlds at an alarming rate - although I guess this is normal for post-Olympics.

I hope Zhenya's foot heals completely and she'll be ready for next season.

And good luck to the other Russian girls Maria and Stanislava. :biggrin:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

You all are making wrong conclusions about Konstantinova position at worlds. This is why:
1) Juniors PCS are generally lower than seniors. You can simply compare Rizzo scores at Juniors world with the one at Olympics. Also, after last year Juniors world Alina, Bradie and Kaori PCS jumped around 10 points when they started to compete at Seniors competition.
2) Konstantinova won two challengers this season. In one of them she scored 65+ PCS beating Tukt easily in that segment. She also beat othher competitors at Russian nationals.
So, i think you are too subjective about her, looking only at the things who are in conjuction with your own theories and wishes. Some other results which you simply overlooked here speaking otherwise. Im not saying that her medal chances are the same like some other non Russian skaters are, but looking at Russian senior skaters this season she is at least at the same level (level after Med, Zag and Sotsk) with other good Russian senior candidates.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
2) Konstantinova won two challengers this season. In one of them she scored 65+ PCS beating Tukt easily in that segment.
Golden Spin of Zagreb? Yes, a challenger series notorious for its overscoring. On the other hand, in the Warsaw Cup(Also challenger series) she scored 58.64 PCS.

The question is: Do you actually think that at the world championships is where they are going to give the highest PCS to someone who hasn't even done a single senior GP event? Even her junior worlds PCS was far below that of Trusova and Kostornaia, both of whom are first year eligible juniors.

To me, it's truly backwards logic to assume that someone who can't even compete with actual juniors in PCS would somehow skyrocket in PCS when they go to seniors.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Oh no Zhenya :cry: my little bearcub please heal up

also, what if Sotskova pulls an Olympics or last year's worlds only worse and then we end up with two spots because they refuse to send a replacement who is dependable...

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Golden Spin of Zagreb? Yes, a challenger series notorious for its overscoring. On the other hand, in the Warsaw Cup(Also challenger series) she scored 58.64 PCS.

The question is: Do you actually think that at the world championships is where they are going to give the highest PCS to someone who hasn't even done a single senior GP event? Even her junior worlds PCS was far below that of Trusova and Kostornaia, both of whom are first year eligible juniors.

To me, it's truly backwards logic to assume that someone who can't even compete with actual juniors in PCS would somehow skyrocket in PCS when they go to seniors.

But thats how the things work. Judges are just using upper scale of PCS at Seniors world more than with Juniors. All Juniors from last season are now at the same level with seniors in PCS. Also Challenger scores (especially the one at begining of the season) used lower PCS scores for all skaters (all skaters competed at Challengers scored lower PCS than what judges gave them at GP). I know that cause i did analyses of skaters scores prior to Olympic. We simply cant be sure how she will be scored at Worlds, comparing to the other top skaters there. But again, doing some statistics, im sure she will be scored much higher than she was scored at Junior world if she skates the same.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
also, what if Sotskova pulls an Olympics or last year's worlds only worse and then we end up with two spots because they refuse to send a replacement who is dependable...

Oh god.... You're right. And let's recognize that Alina is not a machine. She won the big prize. Maybe she just wants a rest and has a letdown in her performance. I hope she's been full out training for Worlds, but she must have been having a lot of distractions in the past few weeks. I can't even think of Russia losing a spot for next year...

I think Konstantinova was Joan of Arc in a previous life and is now making up for it in this life by having the best luck and good fortune this time around. I can't think of any other explanation. With all the skaters in Russia, she gets BOTH JrWorlds AND SrWorlds???? Well, let's hope she keeps it together.