Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
In case someone is actually convinced by the "no backloading" calculations, remember that some of those elements are getting GOEs they never should get, or even positive GOEs in place of negative GOEs (in Evgenia's case, re: fluts and UR 3Ts). I don't think the post above took that into account.

russianfan

Match Penalty
In case someone is actually convinced by the "no backloading" calculations, remember that some of those elements are getting GOEs they never should get, or even positive GOEs in place of negative GOEs (in Evgenia's case, re: fluts and UR 3Ts). I don't think the post above took that into account.

why should i take any GOE's into account when the complaints were about backloading and/or quads(even more ridiculous)? LOL

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
^^^
:eek:topic: but one of the reason why bonus on late jumps in the program is introduced is because jumps in the second half are generally lower quality (they are getting generally lower GOE) than jumps at the begining when skaters are not tired.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Anyway i hope Medvedeva will spend some time to make her programs more difficult because that's clearly where she lost the gold. Add a 2lo on the 3 jumps combination for example.
Well, she knew before olympics that she have to improve her tech to win. But she did nothing. Would be surprised if she do that now. But i love surprises:biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, she knew before olympics that she have to improve her tech to win. But she did nothing. Would be surprised if she do that now. But i love surprises:biggrin:

She had an injured foot and had very restricted ice time leading up to the Olympics, so "improving her tech" was not possible. However, Evgenia has mentioned possibly adding a quad in the future (presumably after allowing her foot to heal completely).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I think most people (myself included) believed that her PCS would give her enough of an advantage over Alina to make up for the small difference in TES, assuming both skate clean. Two 3-3s in a LP is pretty rare, so it isn't as if she didn't skate a very challenging program.

andromache

Record Breaker

I do think we would've seen her do all backloading in the LP if she has not gotten injured.

tjb

Match Penalty
She had an injured foot and had very restricted ice time leading up to the Olympics, so "improving her tech" was not possible. However, Evgenia has mentioned possibly adding a quad in the future (presumably after allowing her foot to heal completely).

she answered that she was thinking about it, when journalists asked her about the quad, not that she will add it. as far as i know she tried to learn 4S from december 2016 to march 2017 alongside with trusova/shcherbakova, but her attempts wasn't particularly successful

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
she answered that she was thinking about it, when journalists asked her about the quad, not that she will add it. as far as i know she tried to learn 4S from december 2016 to march 2017 alongside with trusova/shcherbakova, but her attempts wasn't particularly successful

Really? I remember her saying last year that she would have liked to add 4S after the olympics, but i think she said she hadn't tried it yet?

russianfan

Match Penalty
I don't think she has any chances to ever land a quad at competition. Moreover i doubt she can land it even at practice. One has to be very special at jumps to be able to do it. She is not.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't think Zhenya could possibly get a quad at this point. Trusova's rotation speed for her quads at the WJCs was around 5.50 revolutions per second and Zhenya's fastest has been around 4.8. Considering Trusova also gets much more lift on everything, I just see no way. Trusova just barely is able to rotate hers, too.

tjb

Match Penalty
Really? I remember her saying last year that she would have liked to add 4S after the olympics, but i think she said she hadn't tried it yet?

of course she tried it, every girl tried it, even those who not from eteri's group (like sotskova:laugh:). but she tried it so many times that many people saw her doing it in practicies and journalists started to ask her what's going on

I don't think Zhenya could possibly get a quad at this point. Trusova's rotation speed for her quads at the WJCs was around 5.50 revolutions per second and Zhenya's fastest has been around 4.8. Considering Trusova also gets much more lift on everything, I just see no way. Trusova just barely is able to rotate hers, too.

but you can't really compare rotation speed for the triples and for the quads. tuktamysheva also has 4.7 rps at max on her casual jumps , but suddenly she goes to 5.5 on her 3A. who knows what medvedeva is capable of when she pushes to the limit

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

I'm still impressed on how this injury is an excuse for everything. I even read "Evgenia fell on 2A at Rostelecom cause she was already injured"......like if her iffy 2A technique was injury's fault.
I'm not saying that this injury was not bothering, but for a girl who was still jumping 3-3s one week before Rusnats (but withdrew), take part to euros, she still had some possibilities. She could have at least put the first combo in 2nd half like at euros. Maybe it wouldn't have been enough, maybe judges would have said "ooooooooh two 3-3s in 2nd half!" and could have more gifted her in PCS and GOEs.
Her case was not as bad as Hanyu.

Honestly i was happy when she came with that Averbuk's program which was boring to death but more competitive with Alina's. But she went back to her old Tech.

Likely she will not land a quad. Even a rotated 3lo combo seems difficult. But surely she can backload more.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
but you can't really compare rotation speed for the triples and for the quads. tuktamysheva also has 4.7 rps at max on her casual jumps , but suddenly she goes to 5.5 on her 3A. who knows what medvedeva is capable of when she pushes to the limit
Hmmm... I haven't seen Tuktamysheva rotating quite that fast. My estimates on her 2015 worlds SP were around 5.2-5.3. And just looking at the landing, she should not be so borderline on rotation with 5.5 with that air time.

Considering Medvedeva has some rotation issues on the 2A for example, she really would have a reason to rotate faster if she was capable of doing so.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Besides her injury it is a good decision. After Zagitova won everything her PCS could get even higher, so Medvedeva could lose with an eveen bigger margin.
I wonder how long Zagitova dominance can last. Maybe only until next year and than another jumping bean will beat her.
I am dramatically losing my interest to see fast-rotating kids on the ice breaking down in the age when they could get blossom as a skater and artist. Simply sad.

Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Rodionova, Tuktamysheva. All of these during less than 4 years..... :(

tjb

Match Penalty
Hmmm... I haven't seen Tuktamysheva rotating quite that fast. My estimates on her 2015 worlds SP were around 5.2-5.3. And just looking at the landing, she should not be so borderline on rotation with 5.5 with that air time.

Considering Medvedeva has some rotation issues on the 2A for example, she really would have a reason to rotate faster if she was capable of doing so.

i also can't imagine medvedeva landing a quad, but sometimes they are able to surprise you. i remember in december 2016 at JGPF TAT was commentating on TV during alina's performance, and she said that eteri has a girl who is jumping quads. i was 100% sure that she talks about my girl trusova, but it turned out that she was talking about shcherbakova, and sasha landed her first quad only in april.
watching shcherbakova earlier i could not even imagine that she lands a quad someday. and when i saw her video i couldn't believe my eyes

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'm still impressed on how this injury is an excuse for everything. I even read "Evgenia fell on 2A at Rostelecom cause she was already injured"......like if her iffy 2A technique was injury's fault.

I agree, it's kind of annoying when people say "If Evgenia had not been injured she would have won the gold". Welllllllll........ Winning the Olympic gold medal is only 10%about the Olympic performance. The other 90% is practice practice practice, building confidence/security, not overtraining, and AVOIDING INJURY. A champion puts it all together for that 10% performance. There are always woulda could shoulda's with an injury, but the fact remains is that Alina the champion was able to put it all together to win. That's what makes a champion. IMO.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
i also can't imagine medvedeva landing a quad, but sometimes they are able to surprise you. i remember in december 2016 at JGPF TAT was commentating on TV during alina's performance, and she said that eteri has a girl who is jumping quads. i was 100% sure that she talks about my girl trusova, but it turned out that she was talking about shcherbakova, and sasha landed her first quad only in april.
watching shcherbakova earlier i could not even imagine that she lands a quad someday. and when i saw her video i couldn't believe my eyes
Well... That's true. She's a bit of a special case because both the quads and the rotation speed came essentially out of nowhere. Even her triple jumps are rotated with above average speed but nothing that special, and they really are rather small. I believe that even in late 2016 she was known as a PCS skater with rather good tech as well. But who knew she would have the fastest rotation speed in the world and be able to jump quads on jumps the size of an average triple jump?

Still though, the development of 12-year-olds and 18-year-olds is quite different.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I agree, it's kind of annoying when people say "If Evgenia had not been injured she would have won the gold". Welllllllll........ Winning the Olympic gold medal is only 10%about the Olympic performance. The other 90% is practice practice practice, building confidence/security, not overtraining, and AVOIDING INJURY. A champion puts it all together for that 10% performance. There are always woulda could shoulda's with an injury, but the fact remains is that Alina the champion was able to put it all together to win. That's what makes a champion. IMO.

Are you trying to tell me that out of all the skaters in the world, EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA doesn't practice enough?? that's literally how she got injured -- by practicing too much