Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Are you trying to tell me that out of all the skaters in the world, EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA doesn't practice enough?? that's literally how she got injured -- by practicing too much

Reread my post. What is mentioned in the first sentence? And what is CAPITALIZED? Avoiding overtraining/injury is just as important as all the practice in the world.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
A thread about Evgenia withdrawing fro worlds because of injury becomes a hate fest for Evgenia....who would’ve though..

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Are we now actually blaming skaters for getting injured? Not all injuries come from overtraining... and being a champion doesn't mean you don't get injured.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
Are we now actually blaming skaters for getting injured? Not all injuries come from overtraining... and being a champion doesn't mean you don't get injured.

Some are even implying that an injury is an excuse.....
Just when I thought I couldn’t be more amazed by some of the things I see here

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Besides her injury it is a good decision. After Zagitova won everything her PCS could get even higher, so Medvedeva could lose with an eveen bigger margin.
I wonder how long Zagitova dominance can last. Maybe only until next year and than another jumping bean will beat her.
I am dramatically losing my interest to see fast-rotating kids on the ice breaking down in the age when they could get blossom as a skater and artist. Simply sad.

Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Rodionova, Tuktamysheva. All of these during less than 4 years..... :(

Sometimes when I think of Russian ladies skating image of The wall comes to my mind... only this time it grinds ladies figure skaters and churns out gold medals....

In a way I am afraid that this might be the last of Evgenia... I just hope she take the time she needs to heal... but... she already skated injured twice. Makes me sad and worried.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Some are even implying that an injury is an excuse.....
Just when I thought I couldn’t be more amazed by some of the things I see here

Exactly. The MedFans or the AntiAlina's keep saying that if Evgenia wasn't injured she would have won. They are not IMPLYING that the injury is an excuse, they are flat out SAYING it.

I never said that injuries always come from overtraining. Frankly I think Hanyu dodged a HUGE bullet this season. This fall, Dick Button was interviewed and his advice to Hanyu was basically "don't overtrain, avoid injuries". Then one week later we see that horrible 4lutz attempt that took him out for almost the rest of the season. I have enormous respect for Hanyu, he just willed that Gold medal to happen. So amazing.

curious

Final Flight
Exactly. The MedFans or the AntiAlina's keep saying that if Evgenia wasn't injured she would have won. They are not IMPLYING that the injury is an excuse, they are flat out SAYING it.

I never said that injuries always come from overtraining. Frankly I think Hanyu dodged a HUGE bullet this season. This fall, Dick Button was interviewed and his advice to Hanyu was basically "don't overtrain, avoid injuries". Then one week later we see that horrible 4lutz attempt that took him out for almost the rest of the season. I have enormous respect for Hanyu, he just willed that Gold medal to happen. So amazing.

Yes, but he was very lucky that his fed didnt push him aside for shoma like the russian fed did to evgenia.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
This thread has gone sideway.
Everyone can get injured for various reasons. Satoko probably got injured by overtraining(?), Kaetlyn by jumping big? Wasn't Yuna K. injured almost all the time after Vancouver? Give Evgenia a break. That's what she needs right now.

Amei

Record Breaker
Hopefully since its post-Olympics she'll really take all the time she needs to heal and maybe even a little more to relax and decide if the grind of training is still what she wants of if she wants to go a different direction.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
This thread has gone sideway.
Everyone can get injured for various reasons. Satoko probably got injured by overtraining(?), Kaetlyn by jumping big? Wasn't Yuna K. injured almost all the time after Vancouver? Give Evgenia a break. That's what she needs right now.

While I agree with the premise of your post, Kaetlyn's injuries didn't have anything to do with the size of her jumps. She broke her leg while swerving to avoid another skater. As far as I am aware, her other, lesser injuries were not jump-related.

withwings

On the Ice
While I agree with the premise of your post, Kaetlyn's injuries didn't have anything to do with the size of her jumps. She broke her leg while swerving to avoid another skater. As far as I am aware, her other, lesser injuries were not jump-related.

Thank you for pointing it out; for true facts.

Most of the threads has become a subtle political platform, unfortunately.

Yoa

On the Ice
There won't be any reigning champions at Worlds :( And Sui/Han, Yuzuru and Evgenia really wanted to go :sad4:

That's a lot of ice shows and jumping for someone who's injured. Hope it doesn't, erm, exacerbate the condition,

Fantasy on ice is in June so I wouldn't worry too much because there still time for rest and rehabilitation. Last year Evgenia only did shows in Niigata (3 in total). And she can always cancel it. It's harder for skaters who are in some ways connected to ice show's sponsors (like Yuzuru and P&G Japan). Is she planning on doing other shows?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I will miss seeing her at worlds but I am happy Evgenia is doing what is best for her health.

Lily flowers

On the Ice

You clearly didn’t understand what I was trying to say...

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Evgenia needs to refrain from performing jumps for at least four weeks to avoid an operation on her injured right foot, according to her doctors. Evgenia was scheduled to take part in STARS ON ICE JAPAN TOUR (March 31-April 8), which begins only a week after the world championships, and her participation in the ice shows may be in doubt, too. The problem started at the Moscow stage of ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, when she fell after the last double axel that she always had issues with. She was smiling after the incident but it was really a serious injury.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Evgenia needs to refrain from performing jumps for at least four weeks to avoid an operation on her injured right foot, according to her doctors. Evgenia was scheduled to take part in STARS ON ICE JAPAN TOUR (March 31-April 8), which begins only a week after the world championships, and her participation in the ice shows may be in doubt, too. The problem started at the Moscow stage of ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, when she fell after the last double axel that she always had issues with. She was smiling after the incident but it was really a serious injury.

Where did you get this info? I distinctly remember reading (in Russian) that she was injured while doing some off-ice training - a jumping over the bench exercise in fact. At CoR she skated already with this injury and at second GP, that's why I think it doesn't heal as it should. Gracie Gold had the same stress fracture but withdrew from GPF and stopped training straight away and as far as I know recovered completely in less than 2 months.