Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I think what happened to Evgenia was not fair. There were four guys who had better technical score than Yuzuru - Nathan, Shoma, Boyang, Vincent. Yuzuru won because of his total component program score. The same should have happened to Evgenia.

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
I think what happened to Evgenia was not fair. There were four guys who had better technical score than Yuzuru - Nathan, Shoma, Boyang, Vincent. Yuzuru won because of his total component program score. The same should have happened to Evgenia.

The quality of Yuzuru's technique is also far superior to those other guys - it's not just difficulty that matters. Plus, he blew them away in the short program. Evgenia's elements aren't any better than Alina's - I personally still would have picked Evgenia in the free skate because I think she's more than .25 ahead on the components (which would have made her the overall winner) but I thought Alina was the correct winner of the short program. It was so close that either outcome seemed fair to me.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
The quality of Yuzuru's technique is also far superior to those other guys - it's not just difficulty that matters. Plus, he blew them away in the short program. Evgenia's elements aren't any better than Alina's - I personally still would have picked Evgenia in the free skate because I think she's more than .25 ahead on the components (which would have made her the overall winner) but I thought Alina was the correct winner of the short program. It was so close that either outcome seemed fair to me.
Evgenia should have won! Not Alina! Better technical score for Alina - Ok, overall win - no!!!

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
Evgenia should have won! Not Alina! Better technical score for Alina - Ok, overall win - no!!!

You're saying Evgenia should have won the short? Based on what - because you like her better? I don't have the GOE's, but based on raw scores the judges gave Evgenia higher scores for literally everything they could - Evgenia just spotted Alina too many technical points. When was the last time a contender for the Olympic ladies' gold medal didn't even bother trying a lutz in the short?

And actually, now that I look at the scores, I'm even questioning my assertion that Evgenia should have been the overall winner based on the free - the judges seemed to have done everything they could to give Evgenia the title. I didn't realize that they gave Evgenia higher scores on every element in both programs. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that there's just something I can't see on TV or need the GOE scores to see, but Evgenia and Alina seem pretty comparable in their elements to me. In fact, a lot of Evgenia's jump landings seemed a bit off and her flutz got a higher score than Zagitova's lutz. I think Zagitova's components should have been a couple points lower than they were but quality of Medvedeva's tech wasn't better on every element she performed.

evasorange

Final Flight
And actually, now that I look at the scores, I'm even questioning my assertion that Evgenia should have been the overall winner based on the free - the judges seemed to have done everything they could to give Evgenia the title. I didn't realize that they gave Evgenia higher scores on every element in both programs. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that there's just something I can't see on TV or need the GOE scores to see, but Evgenia and Alina seem pretty comparable in their elements to me. In fact, a lot of Evgenia's jump landings seemed a bit off and her flutz got a higher score than Zagitova's lutz. I think Zagitova's components should have been a couple points lower than they were but quality of Medvedeva's tech wasn't better on every element she performed.

Wow did they really?šŸ˜® honestly not a huge fan of ether skater but I was there in person and even though I was watching way up
High to me it seemed obvious that Alina has the better jumps. A lot better-faster combos, higher, just more solid and powerful. Even her tanos were more pleasant to my eye. Evgenias had scratchy landings and her combos werenā€™t nearly as well excucuted as Alina. I donā€™t know if her injury had something to do with it, the only other time Iā€™ve seen her live was worlds 2016 and I donā€™t remember much but the mining and the gloves tbh. I enjoyed Alina much more then I was expecting to honestly. I see more raw talent in her then I ever have in Evegenia

joanne129

Rinkside

Seriously?! Look at how inflated her tes is. Alina executed better in EVERY ELEMENT than evgenia and i cant believe evgenia got higher GOEs lol what a joke

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
I found the GOE report - apparently I don't know how to use the Olympic website :slink:

Evgenia's scores weren't as overwhelming as I thought they were. The biggest issue was missing the change of edge on the lutz - 1.6 GOE for a flutz compared to .5 for Zagitova's lutz, though that's the technical caller's fault. Zagitova did have a slightly wonky landing on her lutz.

definitely things I don't understand about the scoring - how do you get all 2's and 3's but get less than 2 for the composite GOE?

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I found the GOE report - apparently I don't know how to use the Olympic website :slink:

Evgenia's scores weren't as overwhelming as I thought they were. The biggest issue was missing the change of edge on the lutz - 1.6 GOE for a flutz compared to .5 for Zagitova's lutz, though that's the technical caller's fault. Zagitova did have a slightly wonky landing on her lutz.

definitely things I don't understand about the scoring - how do you get all 2's and 3's but get less than 2 for the composite GOE?

That's because there are GOE factoring, and they are different for every element. They are the biggest for jumps, level 4 step sequnces and then comes the othet step seq and spins. The maximum points you can earn on triple jumps (except 3A) is 2.10. The only elements you earn the exact GOE you get are the quads and triple Axel.

- - - Updated - - -

Sochi 2014.

Unless you're saying that Adelina wasn't a contender, in which case :rofl:

I mean, who expected Adelina for the win, or even let alone for a medal? Everyone expected Yulia would do the job, and that Yuna with Mao would fight with her for the Gold.

Ziotic

Medalist
You're saying Evgenia should have won the short? Based on what - because you like her better? I don't have the GOE's, but based on raw scores the judges gave Evgenia higher scores for literally everything they could - Evgenia just spotted Alina too many technical points. When was the last time a contender for the Olympic ladies' gold medal didn't even bother trying a lutz in the short?

Actually the main problem was Alinaā€™s PCS for that short program.
In no world should they have been higher than Osmondā€™s and in performance higher than Kostner.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Sochi 2014.

Unless you're saying that Adelina wasn't a contender, in which case :rofl:

Indeed she wasn't. But there were other real contenders in Sochi who didn't have a lutz in the SP: Mao and Carolina.

But I agree with everything else in Old Cat Lady's post :)

Indeed she wasn't. But there were other real contenders in Sochi who didn't have a lutz in the SP: Mao and Carolina.

But I agree with everything else in Old Cat Lady's post :)

Mao had 3A. :p

(And Caro had 3Lo and 3F-3T. Still better than Adelina's!)

And I was just taking the possible shade and running!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Actually the main problem was Alinaā€™s PCS for that short program.
In no world should they have been higher than Osmondā€™s and in performance higher than Kostner.
I think it certainly should have, for both. It was my favorite program of the Olympics and much better than her FS in my opinion. Also the best SP she's performed by far. And I'd have also given it more PCS than Medvedeva's SP.

I wonder if people complaining about her SP PCS have actually watched it more than once, with thought. Watch it 3, 4 times. There's so many details.

yume

šŸ‰
Record Breaker
Actual scoring system reward more execution than difficulty. So even if you have the lowest BV among top contenders like Sotnikova you can have the highest TES.

sakurano

Final Flight
She made a good decision she will come back that stronger next year she is only 18 years old. Good recovery.

Ziotic

Medalist
I think it certainly should have, for both. It was my favorite program of the Olympics and much better than her FS in my opinion. Also the best SP she's performed by far. And I'd have also given it more PCS than Medvedeva's SP.

I wonder if people complaining about her SP PCS have actually watched it more than once, with thought. Watch it 3, 4 times. There's so many details.

To me absolutely every detail is sloppy, rushed and frantic. Nothing is held or extended and the lines look like a series of movement with no real connecting purpose.

It in no way appeals to me, but to each their own.

Tulipstar

Medalist
This thread has gone sideway.
Everyone can get injured for various reasons. Satoko probably got injured by overtraining(?), Kaetlyn by jumping big? Wasn't Yuna K. injured almost all the time after Vancouver? Give Evgenia a break. That's what she needs right now.

Well said. Lots of people got injured this season (and before). Let's not add insult to that.

nekun

On the Ice
I love Evgenia as a Person, but is she really going to add a quad? I mean' her triples not even 'real' triples with the amount of prerotation

Shayuki

Record Breaker
To me absolutely every detail is sloppy, rushed and frantic. Nothing is held or extended and the lines look like a series of movement with no real connecting purpose.

It in no way appeals to me, but to each their own.
Guess we disagree then ... This sort of music, especially during the step sequence, does call for specifically frantic interpretation. And for example, going from the end of the step sequence to the first jump almost all the gestures are done to the music and certainly make sense to me. Especially the theme of transformation. Compare the facial expressions during the earlier parts of the program to them during the latter parts, also.

I guess if you won't get it you won't get it... To me it's a masterpiece.

Come now, we all see things differently, it's not a case of "not getting it".
This is exactly what I was saying. We all see things differently. It's not an insult or anything. I'd say the same thing if someone didn't like my favorite piece of music.

It's not perfect, flawless or anything, just the best out of everyone's short programs at the Olympics.