Keegan Messing My New Fav Can Male Skater | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing My New Fav Can Male Skater

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
YES!!! A thousand times yes!! I first took note of him at 2011 USN and thought he was rough around the edges but had so much potential. I was concerned though that being in Alaska and not with a name coach that the USFS would never let him get anywhere in the US. I suppose he felt the same, which is why he switched to Canada. Which is Canada's gain by far. When I watched him skate at Canadian nationals this year I was super impressed with his development. Even better than I could have ever predicted.

What I love about this Chaplin program is that he is SKATING to it. His Chaplin-esque choreo isn't just 'applied', but is ingrained into his skating. Chaplin programs can be risky, because unless you bring something new and not just a hokey embarrassing retread, it will be a dud. If you want 'artistry' or character in men's skating, this is a really good example. I tend to a more lyrical, balletic style, but Keegan is doing Keegan. And it works. I was thrilled to see him go to the Olympics. He never would have if he stayed skating for USFS.

Here's his program to Hulk in 2011 when I first saw him. In hindsight he's not as rough around the edges as I first thought. I really like this program too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1nnmv9tODk&t=388s

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We were fortunate to see Keegan skate @ the Liberty Summer Competition (now known as the Philadelphia International Summer Competition) in Aston, PA for a few seasons., and have been fans of him ever since. I've said this before, but my biggest thanks goes to Tonichelle for introducing us to the wonders of Keegan! :luv17: :hap10:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I saw him for the first time at Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2015 in Bratislava and he did attract my attention, and I made sure to mark him as a promising talent (because of his size I initially thought he was still in the Jr. rank! :laugh:) This past season his talent came to gloriously blossom with two programs custom made for him, he reminded me of Kurt Browning performing these two programs but still with his own brand of charm and charisma. I am so happy he did so well this season, and to see him yet again next week with those wonderful programs. He surely established his place in my heart as one of my top personal favs! I really hope he manages to carry on the momentum into next season :luv17:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Love Keegan! Not a second of empty space in his programs and what a performer. I didn't really take notice of him until this year. I watched Canadian nationals because I wanted to see if Nam had got back some of old spark but by the end I was totally rooting for Keegan. So glad he made it to the Olympics and I will be watching him from now on.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks, LiamForeman for this video. I'm glad Keegan has dual citizenship and can skate for Canada! I just hope Skate Canada helps him develop and recognizes his potential. Keegan has a lot of power in his jumps. I loved his Chaplin program as well. I've seen many Chaplin programs over the years, but as you say his Chaplin interpretation was charming and he remained in character throughout the program. Thanks again.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, now that Patrick is retired, Keegan is definitely my new Canadian favourite! I saw Keegan at Skate Canada last year, and loved his performances - he has so much power and speed in his spins, and is so entertaining. I'm really looking forward to seeing him at Worlds next week, and have bought myself a Canadian flag to shake when he skates - can't wait.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Yes, now that Patrick is retired, Keegan is definitely my new Canadian favourite! I saw Keegan at Skate Canada last year, and loved his performances - he has so much power and speed in his spins, and is so entertaining. I'm really looking forward to seeing him at Worlds next week, and have bought myself a Canadian flag to shake when he skates - can't wait.

Cool!

Well, I see the title of this thread and have to chime in to agree with the OP. For me, Keegan is Kurt II in the realm of Happy Feet. He has an infectious charm that I can’t help smile at. :)

YES!!!
What I love about this Chaplin program is that he is SKATING to it. His Chaplin-esque choreo isn't just 'applied', but is ingrained into his skating. Chaplin programs can be risky, because unless you bring something new and not just a hokey embarrassing retread, it will be a dud.

This! I appreciate that Keegan stays in the Chaplin character throughout his performance, unlike a couple of Elvis programs I’ve seen in recent years where the character is reflected sporadically rather than consistently. I can say the same for Keegan's Singing in the Rain SP, too - it is fun to watch. I’ll look forward to seeing these cheerful programs again at Worlds as well as what he can do for an encore next year with new programs!

It’s nice to see a positive item like this in The Edge, even if it could reside in a Fan Fest. :agree:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
ah okay, my bad!
lots of charisma at the Olympics, for sure

Sorry, I was away from Golden Skate for over a year and didn't realize there was a Fan Fest spot. Next time I'll make sure I post my topics in the right category!!!

vavavoom

Rinkside
I am wondering about his age though, he is certainly a late bloomer and at 26, he can still target 2022 Beijing Olympics... but how high can he go with all these younger skaters that do quads?

Stephen Gogolev is born in December 2004, that would give two upcoming seasons where he could dominate the Canadian scene, including the season of 2020 Worlds in Montreal. Then, it could become more tricky... maybe Gogolev will struggle as well, of course we do not wish this upon anyone.

Nam Nguyen, Nik Nadeau, Joseph Phan can be inconsistent, can this older guy be the leader... I think so.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I am wondering about his age though, he is certainly a late bloomer and at 26, he can still target 2022 Beijing Olympics... but how high can he go with all these younger skaters that do quads?

Stephen Gogolev is born in December 2004, that would give two upcoming seasons where he could dominate the Canadian scene, including the season of 2020 Worlds in Montreal. Then, it could become more tricky... maybe Gogolev will struggle as well, of course we do not wish this upon anyone.

Nam Nguyen, Nik Nadeau, Joseph Phan can be inconsistent, can this older guy be the leader... I think so.

Sounds good, I saw Stephen skate during the Canadian Nationals, I like this kid!