2018-19 Russian Ice Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ice Dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
How curious. I didn't know you could get funding even if you decided not to participate in any competition next season. I thought it was only for active athletes.

You are active until you retire! Every season this issue comes up! Domnina and shabalin 2010-2011, plushenko 2010-2011 and 2014-2015. Lipnitskaya! Probably every one! Slutskaya 2006-2007 maybe!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov???? I may be in the minority, but I adore this team. Any word on them?

But I still think the top Russian team this year will be the acrobatic Stepanova and Bukin.🙄

gmyers

Record Breaker
Was the first Olympics in a long time when it didn't happen, right?

Well it was the first time since ice dance has been an Olympic sport that Russians didn’t medal. But scarier than that is the no world or gpf medals the whole four years leading to Pyeongchang. In pairs when Russia didn’t medal in 2010 Vancouver there were still world medals from 2006-2010. There doesn’t seem to be volosozhar/trankov for 2022 though.

bramweld

Record Breaker
S/A will have a lovely SD as Najarro is choreographing that, but I'm not sure what K/A will give them for a FD.

Z/G look to have chosen Dean for their FD, cool.

I imagine S/K will go for an elegant tango and something balletic for the FD, but I do hope we get some good surprises next season.

S/B own the tango and they have a bluesy FD, up-tempo, as per their choreographer Peter T. Overall sounds like we have an interesting mix to look forward to, not to mention those that will move up to seniors from Juniors. I also like Eva Kuts.

It's the start of a new quad and everyone wants to make a statement, right?

EDIT: I am also curious to see how Volkov and Krylova will polish P/M. Their music choices sound pretty interesting, IMHO.

Artemisa

Final Flight
To be honest S/A it's the only team I hoping to see dance ... I hopping in the next years de other juniors become seniors ... and the russian dance became competitive again ...

And dreaming that Elena Ilinykh come back to competition ...

bramweld

Record Breaker
To be honest S/A it's the only team I hoping to see dance ... I hopping in the next years de other juniors become seniors ... and the russian dance became competitive again ...

And dreaming that Elena Ilinykh come back to competition ...

I think that ship has sailed. Russia has no partners available or otherwise. Just be glad that we had her for the time we did :)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm still not over P/V breaking up. Hopefully the russian teams can wow me, now that my sentimental favorites are out.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I'm still not over P/V breaking up. Hopefully the russian teams can wow me, now that my sentimental favorites are out.

Really I think Mozgov is a much better match for her, both physically and artistically. In my mind he looked like had checked out of the partnership long before she did. But I understand the sentiment.

Giselle

Medalist
Really I think Mozgov is a much better match for her, both physically and artistically. In my mind he looked like had checked out of the partnership long before she did. But I understand the sentiment.

I think that coldblueeyes is talking about Polishchuk/Vakhnov not Popova/Vlasenko...(apologies if I'm wrong).

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think that coldblueeyes is talking about Polishchuk/Vakhnov not Popova/Vlasenko...(apologies if I'm wrong).

Exactly. :agree:
Vlasenko was very forgettable as a partner. On the other hand Sofia and Alexander seemed to have very good chemistry, and I liked their programs last season.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Exactly. :agree:
Vlasenko was very forgettable as a partner. On the other hand Sofia and Alexander seemed to have very good chemistry, and I liked their programs last season.

Oh yeah. I misunderstood. I still don't really get that. Also he was so much weaker than she was, she was the spark of that partnership and as he was getting better able to match her, he just bailed out?

Taught me a valuable lesson, don't get your hopes up too high about these partnerships, some of the better ones don't last. What we're left with oftentimes is what is more convenient and often mediocre. But that being said I am hopeful we're in for a treat this upcoming season.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think it's going to be open season for anyone that wants to grab that #1 spot, and hopefully Krylova can shake things up a bit.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think it's going to be open season for anyone that wants to grab that #1 spot, and hopefully Krylova can shake things up a bit.

For the number 1 spot, no. SB has that locked unless their team goes completely insane or there is an injury. Nobody can do the tango like them, although I'm curious as to how P/M and Z/G stack up. Their Libertango FD from a couple of season ago was electric, as for S/K I'm still trying to find the tango in that tango. Peter T. has been serving S/B well these last two seasons, with the exception of the ridiculous music he gave them last season, but just in terms of character, ease of movement, mastery of their technique nobody comes close. The race for second place, now that will be interesting.

Big Deal

Final Flight
What about Elena Ilynikh nowdays? She was to be the star ot this past quadrennial. 4 years ago. If Bobrova retired how about to pair her with Soloviev? I find Soloviev as the much stronger part of the B/S team.
maybe it is only me.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
For the number 1 spot, no. SB has that locked unless their team goes completely insane or there is an injury. Nobody can do the tango like them, although I'm curious as to how P/M and Z/G stack up. Their Libertango FD from a couple of season ago was electric, as for S/K I'm still trying to find the tango in that tango. Peter T. has been serving S/B well these last two seasons, with the exception of the ridiculous music he gave them last season, but just in terms of character, ease of movement, mastery of their technique nobody comes close. The race for second place, now that will be interesting.

Well, I wasn't betting on Z/G scoring as close to S/B as they did in Milan, who only won over Z/G because of PCS. I don't know how far Svinin and Zhuk can take them, I feel like they hit a wall on TES for the last two seasons and I wonder if they'll overcome it. And that's not taking into account what will happen to the other teams, so I stand by what I said. Also, I very much doubt Zhulin will want to stay out of the top - which is why I think he might be looking to secure another team for himself in the coming seasons, besides the wildcard that is S/K.

Marta25

Medalist
With the many rule changes it`s hard to say who will have an advantage next season. The ISU has introduced separate scoring for the lady and the men for the twizzles and one foot step sequence, which could be a disadvantage for SK and SB, who both rely on their stronger partners, especially in step sequences. There will also be 2 sequences of the CD instead of 1 with a higher base value than in the past, which could be an advantage for ZG. OTOH the GOE is increasing, so this could be again better for SK and SB. The ISU also has tougher requirements for the elements;you need entry and exit features for the lifts for both partners, only the first try of a difficult turn will be counted towards the level for the step sequences etc.
It`s going to be interesting to see who will come out on top.

bramweld

Record Breaker
With the many rule changes it`s hard to say who will have an advantage next season. The ISU has introduced separate scoring for the lady and the men for the twizzles and one foot step sequence, which could be a disadvantage for SK and SB, who both rely on their stronger partners, especially in step sequences. There will also be 2 sequences of the CD instead of 1 with a higher base value than in the past, which could be an advantage for ZG. OTOH the GOE is increasing, so this could be again better for SK and SB. The ISU also has tougher requirements for the elements;you need entry and exit features for the lifts for both partners, only the first try of a difficult turn will be counted towards the level for the step sequences etc.
It`s going to be interesting to see who will come out on top.

Given all that SB is the stronger pair technically overall, so they still come out on top. Stepanova is a much stronger and more versatile ice dancer than Victoria. S/K visibly struggle with their CD every single season, from the beginning to the end, just take their SD at Nationals for the last three years. While S/B tend to be cautious in the begining they really rise to the challenge as the season progresses. Their turns and twizzles are also much more secure. While Nikita may have improved with his twizzles he needs work on his turns, transitions in the lifts and S/K are okay in spins but S/B are better. S/K have limitations as to the type of lifts they can do, S/B not so much. I've seen SK practicing a lift with Nikita flipping Victoria into the air and it doesn't look easy. What will be interesting, IMHO, is how far they'll allow P/M to rise. They are very agile, and they may have the goods in the near future. The progress they made with their FD to give the performance they gave at Nationals was commendable given their lack of ice time. On the otherhand if you believe Nikita's own words, TAT and Zhulin, he and Victoria practice a lot and yet still their work in their CD last year was mediocre at best. This year they have an even more difficult CD so it will be a challenge for them. Where they will pick up points though is the FD, they are much better in that aspect of the competition.

bramweld

Record Breaker
But in all seriousness, there is talk of pairing Staviskaya with Drozd? Now if Shibnev found her scary and infuriating, body language alone, how does this work?

I tell you Russian Ice dance is in need of help, real help. :rofl: