2018-19 Russian Ice Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ice Dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
The number 2 Russian ice dance team z/g just won a gp bronze narrowly over US number 5

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The number 2 Russian ice dance team z/g just won a gp bronze narrowly over US number 5

It would have been less narrow if they didn’t have those two deductions. I wonder what for..?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Their free progam is really, really good. :luv17:They did a good job. And C. Dean did a great job :).

The propotocl is clear. Z/g did a very bad job. Level 2 elements, too long lifts. They are either being coached very poorly or shouldn’t have competed here. They aren’t even close to the Italians and were almost beaten by US number five.

Maybe they need new programs new coaches new choreography

It would have been less narrow if they didn’t have those two deductions. I wonder what for..?

Two lifts were two long and two step sequences were level 2. They need to immediately find new coaches who know how to get higher levels and how long lifts are supposed to be. Hopefully they can move to dubreuil or fusar poli soon.

madison

Record Breaker
I think they are doing more than fine. They have 2 great vehicles this season. They will polish everything, as this is the first competition, and the programs will look even better.
I don't want to discuss the scores, cause in my opinion ice-dance is usually very biased. But for me at least Z/G have everything to become World medal contenders.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think they are doing more than fine. They have 2 great vehicles this season. They will polish everything, as this is the first competition, and the programs will look even better.
I don't want to discuss the scores, cause in my opinion ice-dance is usually very biased. But for me at least Z/G have everything to become World medal contenders.

And don't forget they have been dealing with Tiffany's injury for quite some time. All things considered this debut was admirable. I hope she gets those knees dealt with though, this quad is a marathon not really a sprint.

EDIT: I find Drozd a bit hilarious. First Staviskaya, next Abashkina and finally Konkina? All younger and statuesque, obviously the type that would be most convenient, for him. But none of these girls have the qualities he would need to reach the podium in this quad or the next. Again, it all just baffles me, is ice dance a recreational activity for him or does he really want to win? In fact there was no real need to tryout with Abashkina because they were repeatedly told nothing could come of it. Oh well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Well maybe they fell to no. 3. Maybe S and K moved ahead? I don't think it is that clear looking at early results. And the Americans are a powerhouse in dance and it is Skate America where American dreams are made and held up.

madison

Record Breaker
I've read that TAT talked all time during ice dance competition-Skate America about Stepanova/Bukin. More exactly about Bukin. Lol🤣

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The propotocl is clear. Z/g did a very bad job. Level 2 elements, too long lifts. They are either being coached very poorly or shouldn’t have competed here. They aren’t even close to the Italians and were almost beaten by US number five.

Maybe they need new programs new coaches new choreography

Two lifts were two long and two step sequences were level 2. They need to immediately find new coaches who know how to get higher levels and how long lifts are supposed to be. Hopefully they can move to dubreuil or fusar poli soon.

And yet their base value was higher in both programs than that of Hubbell/Donohue (who have Dubrueil as a coach). And had higher BV than the Italians too (who are coached by Fusar Poli) in the RD.

Also, I wouldn't call them the number 2 Russian team given the scores S/B (200) and S/K (196) have put up so far this season.

Mattieu

Medalist
And yet their base value was higher in both programs than that of Hubbell/Donohue (who have Dubrueil as a coach). And had higher BV than the Italians too (who are coached by Fusar Poli) in the RD.

Also, I wouldn't call them the number 2 Russian team given the scores S/B (200) and S/K (196) have put up so far this season.

Lets see what S/B and S/K get in a GP, you can't really go by Challenger scores.

noidont

Final Flight
Is there anyone better than Konkina for Drozd? Don't think so. Even Konkina is a step up from Loboda. In juniors (really even seniors) almost all the boys are better than the girls. Konkina/Drozd can't be worse than Sinitsina/Zhiganshin was.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Oh, come on Z/G did pretty well for first season outing after injury and their long program is a really good one with different, difficult choreography. Actually both their programs are really good and they have а unique presence. They just have to polish the program. I also like how they look happy and genuine on every outing. Congratulations on their first GP medal.
No matter which team is number two Russia will gain their 3 spots back again, just because of the less competition they have internationally.S/B programs are far better than the previous year, hopefully S/K will be more consistent, but I will not put my money on them.
I also enjoy and appreciate P/M and Shpilevaya Smirnov - daring, creative, doing different things and are not the Feds or Tats favorites. Still haven't seen Scoptcova and Aleshin.

pearly

Record Breaker
I haven't been following. Drozd tried to pair up with Abachkina but the fed would not release her?
How about Novoselov for Stolbova?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Is there anyone better than Konkina for Drozd? Don't think so. Even Konkina is a step up from Loboda. In juniors (really even seniors) almost all the boys are better than the girls. Konkina/Drozd can't be worse than Sinitsina/Zhiganshin was.

Sofia P. for one. She is miles better in terms of technique, extension and expression. But it depends on how you qualify better. Konkina is expressive but her knees are stiff she doesn't know how to play with her blade as you can see from her current teaming up and even before. She doesn't generate much power which will ultimately frustrate Drozd. But I don't hold it against her most Russian ice dancers haven't a clue. Also Drozd is simply looking for a type that will make his life easier, which is his right.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Sofia P. for one. She is miles better in terms of technique, extension and expression. But it depends on how you qualify better. Konkina is expressive but her knees are stiff she doesn't know how to play with her blade as you can see from her current teaming up and even before. She doesn't generate much power which will ultimately frustrate Drozd. But I don't hold it against her most Russian ice dancers haven't a clue. Also Drozd is simply looking for a type that will make his life easier, which is his right.

I thought Sofia P. and Sasha could have a good move to seniors - and then they split up. It's a wonder to me why Drozd haven't tried out with her. But then, it is clear that he has a type, and she's not it.

Andrea82

Medalist
I haven't been following. Drozd tried to pair up with Abachkina but the fed would not release her?
How about Novoselov for Stolbova?

Yes, Abachkina announced her retirement last weekend saying the Feds couldn't reach an agreement on her and Drodz.

elysium

On the Ice
I thought Sofia P. and Sasha could have a good move to seniors - and then they split up. It's a wonder to me why Drozd haven't tried out with her. But then, it is clear that he has a type, and she's not it.

I guess Drozd must have tried out with Sofia, they were at the same place. But as many had mentioned, Drozd was looking for a certain type of partner probably. Just wish that Sofia can end up in a better situation, her first outing this season is so much below her previous level.