2018-19 Russian Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ice Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm wondering what will happen with Krylova in Russia - I'm interested to see if she can make some waves.

Iris81

On the Ice
So, according to hysterical posts on Rumyantseva's facebook, Popova-Mozgov will be coached by Krylova and Volkov.

bramweld

Record Breaker
So, according to hysterical posts on Rumyantseva's facebook, Popova-Mozgov will be coached by Krylova and Volkov.

That means it must be true. Hehe.. She was going nowhere near Loboda, she absolutely disdains working with full-figured or girls with womanly figures, talk to Madison Hubbell. I pray Popova will have nerves of steel, she'll need it.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
That means it must be true. Hehe.. She was going nowhere near Loboda, she absolutely disdains working with full-figured or girls with womanly figures, talk to Madison Hubbell. I pray Popova will have nerves of steel, she'll need it.
Why would you said that ? She has never said anything like this, has she ? :eek:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

If anything, Popova looks like a strong girl. Hopefully they'll improve on their current status.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Why would you said that ? She has never said anything like this, has she ? :eek:

She directly no. But read between the lines of Maddie's interviews and just look at the difference between Hubbell and Weaver now? Krylova was not invested in her, Marie-France however doesn't discrimiante, her girls must be fit but most importantly they must know how to skate and dance.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I have always thought of Betina as Anjelika 2.0. (Since the first time I saw Popova & Vlasenko's performances--from the 2015 Junior Worlds). It seems like the most obvious switch in the world. (Almost too good to be true. Those are the kind of leaps your average fan could invent right off the top of his/her head so I could easily see someone inventing it without proof). But--hey--could be great! Anjelika is supposed to be a technical expert, and that is what P&V need. And she should know how to work with a performer with Betina's style. Though coaching is always a very different challenge than skating so you wait & see.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Pairs under Rumyantseva haven't really gone far.

Would be great to see them under Krylova!

noidont

Final Flight
Hubbell/Donahue was and is still not the best technical team and that has nothing to do with her having "a full figure." Weaver isn't any less "full-figured" than Hubbell? They did better in Montreal because Montreal just has better programs and packaging as of now. Krylova herself isn't much of a choreographer. I love Popova/Mozgov. If they can get a Carmalengo program then things might work. Just Krylova isn't going to do them wonders.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Hubbell/Donahue was and is still not the best technical team and that has nothing to do with her having "a full figure." Weaver isn't any less "full-figured" than Hubbell? They did better in Montreal because Montreal just has better programs and packaging as of now. Krylova herself isn't much of a choreographer. I love Popova/Mozgov. If they can get a Carmalengo program then things might work. Just Krylova isn't going to do them wonders.

The essence of my point, exactly. The rest we need not fuss about.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Actually as of today I think Hubbell/Donohue are one of the best technical team, and that's what sets them apart for that World Silver Medal, they maxed out on their Base Value. They are a bit more precise than Weaver/Poje who can be rough on the edges sometimes.
Maddison said in an interview that they left because all the focuswas on other teams (translation : WeaPo) and now she claims that every single teams in Montreal has the same amount of time. A good environment makes the difference. And yes the Montreal packaging is by far the best in the World, it's very current.

I agree that Camerlengo is the creative one (and is amazing at it) and Popova/Mozgov needs far better packaging and to stop the very ugly OTT programs, it's not 1995 anymore. But that's a very good move to change directions for them, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Another soul that sympathizes with my pain. What happened? Why are the fundamental skating skills of Stepanova, Bobrova and Sinitsina and others so awful and yet Ilinykh seems to have such comanding control of her blade? Is this something you are taught or is it really a natural gifting? Where have all the Klimovas and Grishuks gone? Is it because they migrated to the states?

Go look at Hawayek and Baker as juniors. Look at their blade control. Look at their unison. Now Baker is just one of those luckily intrinsically talented skaters (and I think vastly underrated by the judges so far as a senior). But look especially at Hawayek.

Now look at their FD from this year's WC. The differences in blade control and depth of edges and unison will astound you. And yes, even the twizzles. ;)

Why? I think it's because Krylova and company forced them to spend months doing basic stroking exercises. Hour after hour after hour of basic stroking exercises. It isn't Ms A waving a magic wand over a dance team and voiila! It's work. Lots and lots of work.

Hawayek's problem with consistency isn't technical. I think it's nerves. She's worked her fanny off; the basic technique is now solid. And they both have underrated knees. :)

You can see it with the juniors. The Russian juniors tend to have very solid technique, especially with the patterned SD.

So why do none of them make a dent in the top tier as Seniors, with the obvious exception of B/S. Why then do they seem to lose that technical proficiency when they move up to Seniors? Frankly, the newest Junior WCs don't particularly impress me and I don't expect them to be a factor for at least several years (if ever). Why?

Because someone needs to tell Russian coaches the world has moved on from the Golden Age of Soviet/Unified/Russian skating. They look at least a generation behind the curve. At least.

And it's work. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of hard work. You can't just emote your way through a program anymore.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Actually as of today I think Hubbell/Donohue are one of the best technical team, and that's what sets them apart for that World Silver Medal, they maxed out on their Base Value. They are a bit more precise than Weaver/Poje who can be rough on the edges sometimes.
Maddison said in an interview that they left because all the focuswas on other teams (translation : WeaPo) and now she claims that every single teams in Montreal has the same amount of time. A good environment makes the difference. And yes the Montreal packaging is by far the best in the World, it's very current.

I agree that Camerlengo is the creative one (and is amazing at it) and Popova/Mozgov needs far better packaging and to stop the very ugly OTT programs, it's not 1995 anymore. But that's a very good move to change directions for them, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

All of this. This is what I'm saying. Thank you.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Doesn't sound like he's going to Russia with her, so I don't know how likely that is.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Go look at Hawayek and Baker as juniors. Look at their blade control. Look at their unison. Now Baker is just one of those luckily intrinsically talented skaters (and I think vastly underrated by the judges so far as a senior). But look especially at Hawayek.

Now look at their FD from this year's WC. The differences in blade control and depth of edges and unison will astound you. And yes, even the twizzles. ;)

Why? I think it's because Krylova and company forced them to spend months doing basic stroking exercises. Hour after hour after hour of basic stroking exercises. It isn't Ms A waving a magic wand over a dance team and voiila! It's work. Lots and lots of work.

Hawayek's problem with consistency isn't technical. I think it's nerves. She's worked her fanny off; the basic technique is now solid. And they both have underrated knees. :)

You can see it with the juniors. The Russian juniors tend to have very solid technique, especially with the patterned SD.

So why do none of them make a dent in the top tier as Seniors, with the obvious exception of B/S. Why then do they seem to lose that technical proficiency when they move up to Seniors? Frankly, the newest Junior WCs don't particularly impress me and I don't expect them to be a factor for at least several years (if ever). Why?

Because someone needs to tell Russian coaches the world has moved on from the Golden Age of Soviet/Unified/Russian skating. They look at least a generation behind the curve. At least.

And it's work. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of hard work. You can't just emote your way through a program anymore.

Thank you. That is what they lack in part with the exception of B/S and S/B: these two are maximizing their potential for sure. P/M and Z/G are also of that school and they will be looking to capitalize on good seasons. S/K are too erratic as their training is also similarly erratic, it would seem. Katsalapov is not a hard worker and it shows just with his physique alone. It looks like he worked harder with Zueva. He also appears to be rather fragile, what with his frequent injuries. He needs to be bulking up a la Drozd, Poje, Donahue, Cizeron, Scott Moir etc. But Russia's biggest obstacle is their mindset, hopefully Krylova can help with that.