2018-19 Russian Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
Doesn't sound like he's going to Russia with her, so I don't know how likely that is.

Really? The plot thickens. So she needs to be working with some other creative force. I think it could be that lady who consulted for S/K a couple seasons ago. The rumour is S/K and L/D also want to train with her. I wonder how soon we will learn the truth. Time will out.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Go look at Hawayek and Baker as juniors. Look at their blade control. Look at their unison. Now Baker is just one of those luckily intrinsically talented skaters (and I think vastly underrated by the judges so far as a senior). But look especially at Hawayek.

Now look at their FD from this year's WC. The differences in blade control and depth of edges and unison will astound you. And yes, even the twizzles. ;)

Why? I think it's because Krylova and company forced them to spend months doing basic stroking exercises. Hour after hour after hour of basic stroking exercises. It isn't Ms A waving a magic wand over a dance team and voiila! It's work. Lots and lots of work.

Hawayek's problem with consistency isn't technical. I think it's nerves. She's worked her fanny off; the basic technique is now solid. And they both have underrated knees. :)

You can see it with the juniors. The Russian juniors tend to have very solid technique, especially with the patterned SD.

So why do none of them make a dent in the top tier as Seniors, with the obvious exception of B/S. Why then do they seem to lose that technical proficiency when they move up to Seniors? Frankly, the newest Junior WCs don't particularly impress me and I don't expect them to be a factor for at least several years (if ever). Why?

Because someone needs to tell Russian coaches the world has moved on from the Golden Age of Soviet/Unified/Russian skating. They look at least a generation behind the curve. At least.

And it's work. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of hard work. You can't just emote your way through a program anymore.
B/s have One world medal. They made a dent in 2013 and never again. All russians must learn they must be 100 Times better than b/s. B/s are no example. They are worst in Russian history for their top ice dance team. No Russian team is an example. The overwhelming failure of b/s can’t be understated. Zhulin too. He is worst coach in Russian ice dance history.

bramweld

Record Breaker
B/s have One world medal. They made a dent in 2013 and never again. All russians must learn they must be 100 Times better than b/s. B/s are no example. They are worst in Russian history for their top ice dance team. No Russian team is an example. The overwhelming failure of b/s can’t be understated. Zhulin too. He is worst coach in Russian ice dance history.

He does the best with the talent he's got, IMHO but he's made his share also of colossal blunders. The talent isn't quite there as we'd like to believe and a significant part of the talent in ice dance is hard work, patience and intelligence. Some pairs have the latter without the artistry, others the opposite. We need the total package, Russia doesn't have that yet, hence their results.

larat

On the Ice
Hubbell/Donahue was and is still not the best technical team and that has nothing to do with her having "a full figure." Weaver isn't any less "full-figured" than Hubbell? They did better in Montreal because Montreal just has better programs and packaging as of now. Krylova herself isn't much of a choreographer. I love Popova/Mozgov. If they can get a Carmalengo program then things might work. Just Krylova isn't going to do them wonders.

Weaver is tiny comparing to Hubbell

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I think it would help if you would stop speaking in these absolutes. THE WORST. OVERWHELMING FAILURE. I found your stats in the OP startling enough without the absolutes.

Just saying.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think it would help if you would stop speaking in these absolutes. THE WORST. OVERWHELMING FAILURE. I found your stats in the OP startling enough without the absolutes.

Just saying.

gmyers, doesn't have another gear, weakankles. So after a while, you don't even notice, you just go gee, gmyers, my favourite outlier. :)

But on a serious note P/M's former coach sort of went "crazy" on her social media for a while there. Her other students might be a tad embarrassed does anyone know if L/D will also be making a move?

gmyers

Record Breaker
He does the best with the talent he's got, IMHO but he's made his share also of colossal blunders. The talent isn't quite there as we'd like to believe and a significant part of the talent in ice dance is hard work, patience and intelligence. Some pairs have the latter without the artistry, others the opposite. We need the total package, Russia doesn't have that yet, hence their results.

But they know who teaches it! Dubreuil teaches it. Can’t they pay her to try to give a lesson to Russian coaches on ijs? So they don’t want to pay for Russian teams to train in Canada but how about sending zhulin to get a lesson in ijs ice dance? Would that be so impossible?! I thought coaches were supposed to improve skaters! They aren’t? They are just supposed to take them as they are and be like psychologists?

Just saying.

With those kind of catastrophic stats it’s an emergency situation calling for honesty.

It would be nice if krylova could fix p/m.

Mattieu

Medalist

Just saying.

Put gymers on ignore, it is just an attention seeking troll, enjoying nothing more than you responding to it's bait!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Really? The plot thickens. So she needs to be working with some other creative force. I think it could be that lady who consulted for S/K a couple seasons ago. The rumour is S/K and L/D also want to train with her. I wonder how soon we will learn the truth. Time will out.

This lady who allegedly worked with S/K a couple seasons ago is Elena Tchaikovskaia, a very famous Russian coach, who btw has been working with S/K at least up to this autumn and probably still does (it is thanks to her efforts that Nikita's twizzles improved so rapidly and they claimed to appreciate her help a lot).
And it is pretty much confirmed that Krylova's going to cooperate with her.

gmyers

Record Breaker
This lady who allegedly worked with S/K a couple seasons ago is Elena Tchaikovskaia, a very famous Russian coach, who btw has been working with S/K at least up to this autumn and probably still does (it is thanks to her efforts that Nikita's twizzles improved so rapidly and they claimed to appreciate her help a lot).
And it is pretty much confirmed that Krylova's going to cooperate with her.

The twizzles were level 4 but step sequences were level 1 and 2. It would not be wrong to say Tchaikovskaia knows nothing about step sequences in ijs.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibs will be out of Canton this season, I wish Russia send some teams, I hope S/S.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
The Shibs will be out of Canton this season, I wish Russia send some teams, I hope S/S.

Russia's not sending anyone out the country anytime soon. If anything, S/S would have to be released from Svinin/Zhuk camp and pay their way onto anyplace else. So, no.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia's not sending anyone out the country anytime soon. If anything, S/S would have to be released from Svinin/Zhuk camp and pay their way onto anyplace else. So, no.

It’s so horrible how Russia is so committed to destroying its ice dance program and the potential of its ice dancers.

Barb

Record Breaker
New rumor says Eteri might send her daughter (Davis-Varlamov team) to Canton.

And that is the reason because Eteri´s students are getting gold medals and Russian ice dancers are not getting anything. Even when her daughter is not the most talented, she knows that she can develop better in Canton than in Russia.

bramweld

Record Breaker
And that is the reason because Eteri´s students are getting gold medals and Russian ice dancers are not getting anything. Even when her daughter is not the most talented, she knows that she can develop better in Canton than in Russia.

gmyers, has another convert, hehe. :popcorn: