2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 513 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

moriel

Record Breaker
I don‘t think skating abroad is even a serious option for Polina. I mean, training abroad doesn‘t only require to move country, part of the family has to move as well, maybe even giving up the job as a result. (I always wondered about that: How did Zhenya‘s mom do that? Is she working in Toronto or has she gone back to Russia?) There‘s also a language barrier and most skaters I have seen so far don‘t speak English well and neither do their families. I know Zhenya said in an interview her mom can‘t really speak English. So how are you going to do that as a non-top skater without real support from the fed? Even as a rich family it involves a lot of struggles and problems to consider even though the main point - money - isn‘t an issue for them. Evgenia‘s situation was highly unique and I don‘t think the fed would allow it for just everyone - probably only top skaters which Polina sadly isn‘t.

Family usually cannot go, since you cant simply move to a foreign country and live there. Visa issues and all.
I mean, check on Javier or Lizbet and their own and their family visa issues.
Overall, I do not see any possibility of Zhenya's mom staying in Canada for more than a few months. For a longer stay, she would need Zhenya to have canadian citizenship, or get a job in canada (which is not trivial for a non canadian, there are quite a few requirements). Stuff like that.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I don‘t think skating abroad is even a serious option for Polina. I mean, training abroad doesn‘t only require to move country, part of the family has to move as well, maybe even giving up the job as a result. (I always wondered about that: How did Zhenya‘s mom do that? Is she working in Toronto or has she gone back to Russia?) There‘s also a language barrier and most skaters I have seen so far don‘t speak English well and neither do their families. I know Zhenya said in an interview her mom can‘t really speak English. So how are you going to do that as a non-top skater without real support from the fed? Even as a rich family it involves a lot of struggles and problems to consider even though the main point - money - isn‘t an issue for them. Evgenia‘s situation was highly unique and I don‘t think the fed would allow it for just everyone - probably only top skaters which Polina sadly isn‘t.

Zhenya is in comfortable situation of having quite powerful international sponsors. IIRC her mother works in animation business which I think can be done for some amount of time. I guess Evgenia's mother will come back to Russia till the end of this year. Probably she wanted to help her daughter to settle down and check if everything goes all right in Toronto.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Polina Tsurskaya's 3 Lz was incredible high! Huge! :points: I couldn't believe my eyes! And her 2A, too!

Amei

Record Breaker
No, you are wrong. I find funny do you think a totally unknown coach Ksenia Ivanova teaches to Nastya that technic?? Plus if you watch Nastya she has moves those were teached by Plush..totally plushenkoish ;) Yes he had many shows, but he was on summer camp he worked with Nasty a lot. He is working there as a coach, too you can read this in Sotnikova's interview - she said Plushy is the best technical coach!!!, Tukthamysheva praised his skills, and Ge thanked to him his help (and Mishin ) 1-2 years ago- and we have a Russian fan who can go to the school, Irina she told us.

If he is not on show he is there every day. Totally sure. :)

I doubt anyone's going to come out against Plushenko, he's got huge ice skating shows and he's a Fed darling; making him angry not only could it damage your competitive career but also your ability to do shows post-competitive career.

moriel

Record Breaker
:clapper:

moriel, you are awesome.

Me neither, Sofia. :laugh:

thanks =)
i kinda try to bring interviews of the less top skaters because well, Zhenya gets too much attention already, lots of interviews and all, but other russian girls are equally interesting.
My fav so far is Masha, her 'views are really nice and insightful, she always talks lots.

moriel

Record Breaker
Yeah same here.
Plus i respected her a lot for not melting down under such pressure, as she skated right after two great skates by japanese girls while competing with the home fav for a medal at her first senior GP

TGee

Record Breaker
I mean, yep, some russian families are rich enough to support a kid training overseas.
But most, and i mean MOST, cannot afford living outside russia. Look at the average russian incomes: https://blogs.elenasmodels.com/en/average-monthly-income-russia-wages-rosstat/
Then, remember that FS in Russia is state funded, and training on any level is much cheaper than in USA/Canada.
I get it. I've spent time in Russia and know how little most people get by on. But Moscow is hideously expensive, even when one shops where the locals do. I sincerely paid more to shop and cook there.

It's really the training costs that are the barrier. Most Canadian families can't afford to support their kids training costs in skating in Canada either, despite higher average incomes. Eric Radford's family sold their house to pay for his skating: he says few elite skaters' families own a big home.

But on Edmonton, I think that the site caught things during a bubble and is measuring the wrong things. Apartment rents are down about 40%. The rent cited is 2.5 times the average one bedroom apartment rent in current data...likely because they are looking for furnished units which are almost unheard of in Canada.

And there are ways for skaters to board affordably with families. It's more like being a foreign student. There are many in Western Canada. Some come from Asia in their teens to acquire English.

If a skater had a funder or sponsor for training costs, the living costs might be manageable...but not if one's going out to Starbucks every day, any more than that would be affordable in Moscow.

Anyway, it's a thought experiment. Better that Russia expand its capacity to support skaters in more centres domestically.

But there is a benefit to getting people out to learn different approaches and bring them back. No one can argue that Eteri wasn't a breath of fresh air when she returned to Russia.

And I wonder if having skaters go overseas may underscore the need to turn more investment to infrastructure for skaters in Russia.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I doubt anyone's going to come out against Plushenko, he's got huge ice skating shows and he's a Fed darling; making him angry not only could it damage your competitive career but also your ability to do shows post-competitive career.

LOL! Is this opinion came in your mind after my post??

For me it is so weird when some posters don't believe that Plushenko can be great technician after his great technic as a skater plus he learned that from the greatest technical coach, Mishin who was a innovator in this work. They worked together for 20 years! Plushenko was with him step by step when Mishin built his method he stood on ice for hours and showed the excercises on seminars for the other coaches from his young age. Plush told he learned a lot from Mishin but he has some new own methods, ideas. He bought Mishin's assets, the "magic west" for jumps and the "rotator" for the spins for his Academy. You can watch them on the videos of AoP.

- Sotnikova was with Plush before the interview and they worked together, Adelina performed in his shows already. Adelina just mentioned it Plush wasn't the main theme of the interview

- Plush has good relationship with the Fed now but I don't think he was the favorite of it continously. He lost his amateur status at the request of the Rus Federation in 2010 because of similar reason as Medvedeva didn't. They didn't go to WCH due injury after OG but skated in shows.

- Liza didn't worked with him seriously of course, but they were on same ice many times and Plush gave him good advices. Well, that's what Liza talked about. Why is this so unbeliveable for you?

-Plush is Ge's role model they know each other from Ge's childhood they are friends. He performed in some Plush's shows. He is great performer but isn't a great jumper. He wanted to learn the quads thus he asked help from Mishin and Zhenya. After his first succesful quad on comp he thanked to them. He is a talented person he can be succesful without Plushenko's shows. In May he invited Plush to skate on his Korean show.

- No, the Russian skaters can skate in Averbukh shows, too . Aver and Plush are the greatest( they had some fights for the market) but there are some other shows for ex Navka's ( Ruslan and Ludmila).
(Plus Bobrin,Berezhnaya,Tchernishev)

LynsJ

On the Ice
Yeah same here.
Plus i respected her a lot for not melting down under such pressure, as she skated right after two great skates by japanese girls while competing with the home fav for a medal at her first senior GP

She had nerves of steel during that FS. Two tough acts to follow and she sold that program like it wasn't any bother to her! Seriously impressed by her!

Country
Russia
Level shown by Russian Ladies (eligible to Senior Internationals) at competitions of this season, both inner and international.

1. Zagitova.
2. Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva, Gulyakova.
3. Tarusina, Samodurova.

Others show lower level.

moriel

Record Breaker
I get it. I've spent time in Russia and know how little most people get by on. But Moscow is hideously expensive, even when one shops where the locals do. I sincerely paid more to shop and cook there.

It's really the training costs that are the barrier. Most Canadian families can't afford to support their kids training costs in skating in Canada either, despite higher average incomes. Eric Radford's family sold their house to pay for his skating: he says few elite skaters' families own a big home.

But on Edmonton, I think that the site caught things during a bubble and is measuring the wrong things. Apartment rents are down about 40%. The rent cited is 2.5 times the average one bedroom apartment rent in current data...likely because they are looking for furnished units which are almost unheard of in Canada.

And there are ways for skaters to board affordably with families. It's more like being a foreign student. There are many in Western Canada. Some come from Asia in their teens to acquire English.

If a skater had a funder or sponsor for training costs, the living costs might be manageable...but not if one's going out to Starbucks every day, any more than that would be affordable in Moscow.

Anyway, it's a thought experiment. Better that Russia expand its capacity to support skaters in more centres domestically.

But there is a benefit to getting people out to learn different approaches and bring them back. No one can argue that Eteri wasn't a breath of fresh air when she returned to Russia.

And I wonder if having skaters go overseas may underscore the need to turn more investment to infrastructure for skaters in Russia.

Training cost in canada is higher than in Russia. Simply put, in Russia, a lot of it is state funded, while in Canada you got to pay for everything yourself.
As for Moscow, Ive been there 2 months ago, and can assure you its cheap. Yep, it is expensive in rubles, but not expensive in dollars / euros / whatever like that.

As for having skaters overseas... Not really. Russians hate when Russia funds those things, so having skaters go overseas will only turn fans angry because "fed could be paying local coaches"