2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 514 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

MalAssada

Medalist
As for Moscow, Ive been there 2 months ago, and can assure you its cheap. Yep, it is expensive in rubles, but not expensive in dollars / euros / whatever like that.

Surely then it's cheap for foreigners, but not Russians. It's like saying Brazil is sooo cheap. Not when the minimum wage is little more than 200 dollars a month and the average wage is 2x the minimum wage.

Country
Russia

moriel

Record Breaker
Surely then it's cheap for foreigners, but not Russians. It's like saying Brazil is sooo cheap. Not when the minimum wage is little more than 200 dollars a month and the average wage is 2x the minimum wage.

Yep, exactly that. This is where "Moscow is expensive" comes from. Yep, moscow is expensive when you make 30 or 60 or even 90k rubles.
But 90k rubles, quite a good salary in Russia, is 1400 dollares / month, which is just a little bit above a full time minimum wage job at US. Moscow is expensive for russians, but not for western people.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yep, exactly that. This is where "Moscow is expensive" comes from. Yep, moscow is expensive when you make 30 or 60 or even 90k rubles.
But 90k rubles, quite a good salary in Russia, is 1400 dollares / month, which is just a little bit above a full time minimum wage job at US. Moscow is expensive for russians, but not for western people.
Moscow used to be expensive even for foreigners when ruble was high, now not as much of course. Also, not everywhere in the West 1400 USD is just above a minimum wage

moriel

Record Breaker
Moscow used to be expensive even for foreigners when ruble was high, now not as much of course. Also, not everywhere in the West 1400 USD is just above a minimum wage

I specifically mentioned US for the min wage.

But anyways, all this moscow talk is basically about being able to afford living overseas, since people claim that "well, moscow is expensive, living in Canada is actually cheaper", while that is not.
Also, id like to refer all those people to that japanese video about how Alina lived before the olympics - she didnt even have a room of her own. (and the apartment was rented by sponsors, which means her family could not afford something like that) And she had medals and prise money and stuff.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I specifically mentioned US for the min wage.

But anyways, all this moscow talk is basically about being able to afford living overseas, since people claim that "well, moscow is expensive, living in Canada is actually cheaper", while that is not.
Also, id like to refer all those people to that japanese video about how Alina lived before the olympics - she didnt even have a room of her own. (and the apartment was rented by sponsors, which means her family could not afford something like that) And she had medals and prise money and stuff.
Probably not enough medals and prize money to buy herself an apartment in Moscow. I think in Alina's case location was more important than having a room of her own, she wanted to be within easy walking distance of the rink which limited her (or rather her family's) options. And it's hard for most families to support two households, especially if one of them is in Moscow and that's not where you earn your money.

MalAssada

Medalist
Moscow seems to be very much like São Paulo. There are other large cities, but none as large as Moscow/São Paulo. I suppose that makes coaches to choose Moscow because of the amount of young skaters? I would very much like to see skating in Russia expand from Moscow/St Petersburg, just like I'm sick of everything being in São Paulo/Rio.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
That’s well above minimum wage where I’m from in the US, though the point stands; $1400 USD still isn’t a huge monthly salary by any means.

Orlov

Medalist
I think in Alina's case location was more important than having a room of her own, she wanted to be within easy walking distance of the rink which limited her (or rather her family's) options.

By the way, "Crystal" is located on the outskirts of Moscow (the so-called "sleeping areas") where housing is relatively cheap. So, rent apartment in this location is not expensive.

By the way, Kostornaya also lives on the outskirts of Moscow, only in the northern region (Crystal in the south) and she travels across Moscow every day as Zhenya Medvedeva, before her family moved closer to Crystal when she was already successful.

halulupu

Final Flight
two questions:
why is gulyakova not comepeting in any international competitions so far (juniors or seniors)?
why is samanduradova having satokoesque kind of jumps when she is with mishin?
thank you

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
two questions:
why is gulyakova not comepeting in any international competitions so far (juniors or seniors)?
why is samanduradova having satokoesque kind of jumps when she is with mishin?
thank you

1. Gulyakova didn't receive any JGP assignments this year - in fact I don't think she was even invited to test skates. Up until this past weekend it's been more important for her to try to get points in the Cup of Russia series to qualify for senior Russian nationals, which she now has. Many predict that we'll probably see her at one of the last Challenger series events - Tallinn Trophy or Golden Spin of Zagreb. Since the Fed obviously didn't think she was good enough to get any junior assignments when they were selecting the team early on, she's having to wait to get senior ones now that she's proved that she can be consistent and competitive.

2. I don't think Mishin's coaching style guarantees high jumps. Tuktamysheva is an exception rather than the rule - her plyometric (jumping) ability is just huge and is a rarity across women's skating as a whole. What his skaters all do have in common is great technique - they don't really pre-rotate, they're tight in the air, and their jumps are fully rotated. I also haven't seen them get many edge calls, though Sofia did have a few this weekend. Sofia has always lacked height on her jumps - I just don't think that she's able to generate as much power as some - but I don't think I've ever seen her underrotate despite the lack of height.

TGee

Record Breaker
Good point. There's an enormous difference between $2 per 100 rubles and $4.

My last long stay, was close to 10 years ago. I found food expensive, and clothes and shoes very expensive. But the current exchange rate would affect it.

I'm not actually advocating for the federation to push skaters to train abroad, but it would be one way to demonstrate the need for investment in capacity.

A better idea would be for a skater and a younger coach to go to learn different approaches and bring them back in a way that makes sense in the Russian tradition. Which is effectively what Eteri did.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, Gulyakova has certainly been getting scored like she's at the level of Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva. The new chosen one to receive St. Petersburg scoring, it seems. She does deserve high scores and GOEs, but I agree she shouldn't be with them.

I'd say it's...
1. Zagitova
2. Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva
3. Gulyakova
4. Tarusina, Samodurova
5. Sakhanovich

alvina9894

Final Flight
1. Gulyakova didn't receive any JGP assignments this year - in fact I don't think she was even invited to test skates. Up until this past weekend it's been more important for her to try to get points in the Cup of Russia series to qualify for senior Russian nationals, which she now has. Many predict that we'll probably see her at one of the last Challenger series events - Tallinn Trophy or Golden Spin of Zagreb. Since the Fed obviously didn't think she was good enough to get any junior assignments when they were selecting the team early on, she's having to wait to get senior ones now that she's proved that she can be consistent and competitive.

2. I don't think Mishin's coaching style guarantees high jumps. Tuktamysheva is an exception rather than the rule - her plyometric (jumping) ability is just huge and is a rarity across women's skating as a whole. What his skaters all do have in common is great technique - they don't really pre-rotate, they're tight in the air, and their jumps are fully rotated. I also haven't seen them get many edge calls, though Sofia did have a few this weekend. Sofia has always lacked height on her jumps - I just don't think that she's able to generate as much power as some - but I don't think I've ever seen her underrotate despite the lack of height.

2. I think you should do a bit of research. In fact, many of his student, including Evgeni Plushenko prerotates a good 180 degrees before taking off in the lutz and flip. Sofia in particular has UR problems if you look at her performance rather than the protocol, as of many of Mishin(a)'s girls like Nugumanova, as they were somehow taught to land the jump very near the 90 degrees allowed. Also, Sofia's lutz edge is known to be problematic and she has received calls for it last week in Panin Memorial.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
2. I think you should do a bit of research. In fact, many of his student, including Evgeni Plushenko prerotates a good 180 degrees before taking off in the lutz and flip. Sofia in particular has UR problems if you look at her performance rather than the protocol, as of many of Mishin(a)'s girls like Nugumanova, as they were somehow taught to land the jump very near the 90 degrees allowed. Also, Sofia's lutz edge is known to be problematic and she has received calls for it last week in Panin Memorial.

I'm sorry that I got some things wrong. I'm still a fairly young figure skating fan, so my understanding of Mishin's coaching is based for the most part on what I see in protocols and what I read or hear from others who have been watching longer. Mishin has a reputation for being a fixer or technical guru of jumps. Perhaps I should have left it at that.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Well, Gulyakova has certainly been getting scored like she's at the level of Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva. The new chosen one to receive St. Petersburg scoring, it seems. She does deserve high scores and GOEs, but I agree she shouldn't be with them.

I'd say it's...
1. Zagitova
2. Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva
3. Gulyakova
4. Tarusina, Samodurova, Sakhanovich

I don’t think Sima is on the same level as Samodurova and Tarusina yet. she’s too inconsistent.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

Sofia does not have UR problems. She never gets < calls, and if you say she should have, sometimes it looks questionable but just because your jumps are small doesn’t automatically mean you underrotate.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

To support this argument: I remember years ago when Liza was the best jumper (probably her first senior season), some posters here mentioned Mishin initially did not want to take her as a student, because he thought her skills were "incomplete". But he changed his mind due to her unusual ability to jump high. So Liza's high jumps were not a result of Mishin's training, but a trait she already had.