Page 515 of 515 FirstFirst ... 15 415 465 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515
Results 10,281 to 10,299 of 10299

Thread: 2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Dummy

3 Not allowed!
    Yeah same here.
    Plus i respected her a lot for not melting down under such pressure, as she skated right after two great skates by japanese girls while competing with the home fav for a medal at her first senior GP

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good” Sam-Skwantch's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    also not sure if this was brought here.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BpNqHL3g...ken-by=goldsk8

Sofia says hi.
    She said hi to us at Goldenskate

That’s so sweet

I’m glad she got a medal and put on a performance to be proud of. That’s what this is all about!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    I mean, yep, some russian families are rich enough to support a kid training overseas.
    But most, and i mean MOST, cannot afford living outside russia. Look at the average russian incomes: https://blogs.elenasmodels.com/en/av...wages-rosstat/
    Then, remember that FS in Russia is state funded, and training on any level is much cheaper than in USA/Canada.
    I get it. I've spent time in Russia and know how little most people get by on. But Moscow is hideously expensive, even when one shops where the locals do. I sincerely paid more to shop and cook there.

It's really the training costs that are the barrier. Most Canadian families can't afford to support their kids training costs in skating in Canada either, despite higher average incomes. Eric Radford's family sold their house to pay for his skating: he says few elite skaters' families own a big home.

But on Edmonton, I think that the site caught things during a bubble and is measuring the wrong things. Apartment rents are down about 40%. The rent cited is 2.5 times the average one bedroom apartment rent in current data...likely because they are looking for furnished units which are almost unheard of in Canada.

And there are ways for skaters to board affordably with families. It's more like being a foreign student. There are many in Western Canada. Some come from Asia in their teens to acquire English.

If a skater had a funder or sponsor for training costs, the living costs might be manageable...but not if one's going out to Starbucks every day, any more than that would be affordable in Moscow.

Anyway, it's a thought experiment. Better that Russia expand its capacity to support skaters in more centres domestically.

But there is a benefit to getting people out to learn different approaches and bring them back. No one can argue that Eteri wasn't a breath of fresh air when she returned to Russia.

And I wonder if having skaters go overseas may underscore the need to turn more investment to infrastructure for skaters in Russia.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Is Ksenia Ivanova the lady sitting next to Tarakanova at K&C during the two JGP events?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Is Ksenia Ivanova the lady sitting next to Tarakanova at K&C during the two JGP events?
    Yes. She is. https://www.instagram.com/ivanovaksenia1885/

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I doubt anyone's going to come out against Plushenko, he's got huge ice skating shows and he's a Fed darling; making him angry not only could it damage your competitive career but also your ability to do shows post-competitive career.
    LOL! Is this opinion came in your mind after my post??

For me it is so weird when some posters don't believe that Plushenko can be great technician after his great technic as a skater plus he learned that from the greatest technical coach, Mishin who was a innovator in this work. They worked together for 20 years! Plushenko was with him step by step when Mishin built his method he stood on ice for hours and showed the excercises on seminars for the other coaches from his young age. Plush told he learned a lot from Mishin but he has some new own methods, ideas. He bought Mishin's assets, the "magic west" for jumps and the "rotator" for the spins for his Academy. You can watch them on the videos of AoP.

- Sotnikova was with Plush before the interview and they worked together, Adelina performed in his shows already. Adelina just mentioned it Plush wasn't the main theme of the interview

- Plush has good relationship with the Fed now but I don't think he was the favorite of it continously. He lost his amateur status at the request of the Rus Federation in 2010 because of similar reason as Medvedeva didn't. They didn't go to WCH due injury after OG but skated in shows.

- Liza didn't worked with him seriously of course, but they were on same ice many times and Plush gave him good advices. Well, that's what Liza talked about. Why is this so unbeliveable for you?

-Plush is Ge's role model they know each other from Ge's childhood they are friends. He performed in some Plush's shows. He is great performer but isn't a great jumper. He wanted to learn the quads thus he asked help from Mishin and Zhenya. After his first succesful quad on comp he thanked to them. He is a talented person he can be succesful without Plushenko's shows. In May he invited Plush to skate on his Korean show.

- No, the Russian skaters can skate in Averbukh shows, too . Aver and Plush are the greatest( they had some fights for the market) but there are some other shows for ex Navka's ( Ruslan and Ludmila).
    (Plus Bobrin,Berezhnaya,Tchernishev)

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah same here.
    Plus i respected her a lot for not melting down under such pressure, as she skated right after two great skates by japanese girls while competing with the home fav for a medal at her first senior GP
    She had nerves of steel during that FS. Two tough acts to follow and she sold that program like it wasn't any bother to her! Seriously impressed by her!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Level shown by Russian Ladies (eligible to Senior Internationals) at competitions of this season, both inner and international.

1. Zagitova.
    2. Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva, Gulyakova.
    3. Tarusina, Samodurova.

Others show lower level.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone heard anything about Elizaveta Nugumanova??? All I know is that her sp is to Smile.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamonds09 View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about Elizaveta Nugumanova??? All I know is that her sp is to Smile.
    And FS is to the Nutcracker. She was second at the 2nd Russian Cup with 200.87 points and will likely be at the fifth stage. New coach is Turenko.

Dummy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGee View Post
    I get it. I've spent time in Russia and know how little most people get by on. But Moscow is hideously expensive, even when one shops where the locals do. I sincerely paid more to shop and cook there.

It's really the training costs that are the barrier. Most Canadian families can't afford to support their kids training costs in skating in Canada either, despite higher average incomes. Eric Radford's family sold their house to pay for his skating: he says few elite skaters' families own a big home.

But on Edmonton, I think that the site caught things during a bubble and is measuring the wrong things. Apartment rents are down about 40%. The rent cited is 2.5 times the average one bedroom apartment rent in current data...likely because they are looking for furnished units which are almost unheard of in Canada.

And there are ways for skaters to board affordably with families. It's more like being a foreign student. There are many in Western Canada. Some come from Asia in their teens to acquire English.

If a skater had a funder or sponsor for training costs, the living costs might be manageable...but not if one's going out to Starbucks every day, any more than that would be affordable in Moscow.

Anyway, it's a thought experiment. Better that Russia expand its capacity to support skaters in more centres domestically.

But there is a benefit to getting people out to learn different approaches and bring them back. No one can argue that Eteri wasn't a breath of fresh air when she returned to Russia.

And I wonder if having skaters go overseas may underscore the need to turn more investment to infrastructure for skaters in Russia.
    Training cost in canada is higher than in Russia. Simply put, in Russia, a lot of it is state funded, while in Canada you got to pay for everything yourself.
    As for Moscow, Ive been there 2 months ago, and can assure you its cheap. Yep, it is expensive in rubles, but not expensive in dollars / euros / whatever like that.

As for having skaters overseas... Not really. Russians hate when Russia funds those things, so having skaters go overseas will only turn fans angry because "fed could be paying local coaches"

Dummy

1 Not allowed!
    Samodurova says she can do 3A on floor, and Mishin is telling her its time to try it on ice: https://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/4020-so...yu-rabotu.html

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Zinina also did 3A on the floor recently.

1 Not allowed!
    As for Moscow, Ive been there 2 months ago, and can assure you its cheap. Yep, it is expensive in rubles, but not expensive in dollars / euros / whatever like that.
    Surely then it's cheap for foreigners, but not Russians. It's like saying Brazil is sooo cheap. Not when the minimum wage is little more than 200 dollars a month and the average wage is 2x the minimum wage.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamonds09 View Post
    Elizaveta Nugumanova this season competed:
    3-7 Sep 2018 1st Event of StPetersburg Cup - 6th, 172.92.
    2-6 Oct 2018 2nd Event of Russian Cup - 2nd, 200.51. https://www.fsrussia.ru/results/1819/2etap/index.htm SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBjtpemYdo FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRXLUfcUz8
    Both as Senior.

Dummy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MalAssada View Post
    Surely then it's cheap for foreigners, but not Russians. It's like saying Brazil is sooo cheap. Not when the minimum wage is little more than 200 dollars a month and the average wage is 2x the minimum wage.
    Yep, exactly that. This is where "Moscow is expensive" comes from. Yep, moscow is expensive when you make 30 or 60 or even 90k rubles.
    But 90k rubles, quite a good salary in Russia, is 1400 dollares / month, which is just a little bit above a full time minimum wage job at US. Moscow is expensive for russians, but not for western people.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, exactly that. This is where "Moscow is expensive" comes from. Yep, moscow is expensive when you make 30 or 60 or even 90k rubles.
    But 90k rubles, quite a good salary in Russia, is 1400 dollares / month, which is just a little bit above a full time minimum wage job at US. Moscow is expensive for russians, but not for western people.
    Moscow used to be expensive even for foreigners when ruble was high, now not as much of course. Also, not everywhere in the West 1400 USD is just above a minimum wage

Dummy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vorravorra View Post
    Moscow used to be expensive even for foreigners when ruble was high, now not as much of course. Also, not everywhere in the West 1400 USD is just above a minimum wage
    I specifically mentioned US for the min wage.

But anyways, all this moscow talk is basically about being able to afford living overseas, since people claim that "well, moscow is expensive, living in Canada is actually cheaper", while that is not.
    Also, id like to refer all those people to that japanese video about how Alina lived before the olympics - she didnt even have a room of her own. (and the apartment was rented by sponsors, which means her family could not afford something like that) And she had medals and prise money and stuff.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    I specifically mentioned US for the min wage.

But anyways, all this moscow talk is basically about being able to afford living overseas, since people claim that "well, moscow is expensive, living in Canada is actually cheaper", while that is not.
    Also, id like to refer all those people to that japanese video about how Alina lived before the olympics - she didnt even have a room of her own. (and the apartment was rented by sponsors, which means her family could not afford something like that) And she had medals and prise money and stuff.
    Probably not enough medals and prize money to buy herself an apartment in Moscow. I think in Alina's case location was more important than having a room of her own, she wanted to be within easy walking distance of the rink which limited her (or rather her family's) options. And it's hard for most families to support two households, especially if one of them is in Moscow and that's not where you earn your money.

Page 515 of 515 FirstFirst ... 15 415 465 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515