2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 827 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

tempo

On the Ice
Hey, the Russian Cup Final is this week, isn’t it?!?!?

Next week. The funniest comment about the unknown list of participants:
"I hope at least the skaters themselves know which of them is going to the Cup. Because we do not know, and the competition is already tomorrow."

To be precise - not tomorrow, juniors will skate at February 20-21, ladies at February 21-22.
Tomorrow will be rhythm dances only.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Independently of the result in Dragon Trophy, I think it's a mistake for Liza to be in that cup.

Liza got sick and she didn't skate at Nationals. It's unfair to put some of the skaters through two trials to earn a spot (Nationals, Euros), when Liza's only evaluated on the basis of the Grand Prix despite being fundamentally in different condition. If the team was going to be decided based on results during the Grand Prix, Sofia wouldn't have had to win Europeans to get her spot outright.

zounger

Medalist
Liza got sick and she didn't skate at Nationals. It's unfair to put some of the skaters through two trials to earn a spot (Nationals, Euros), when Liza's only evaluated on the basis of the Grand Prix despite being fundamentally in different condition. If the team was going to be decided based on results during the Grand Prix, Sofia wouldn't have had to win Europeans to get her spot outright.

I'm not arguing what is fair or not. RusFed will decide what's fair and they will make their decision. I said that for Liza it's a mistake, from my point of view.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I think there might be more at stake here. If Gubanova, Sakhanovich and Tarusina skate well at the Russian Cup they might increase their chances to get GP assignments next year.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
The juniors field looks so exciting! So many talented young ladies! And I’m sure Valieva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Shabotova and Tarakanova want to redeem themselves. Zhenya faces some competition, but the chances are high she gets good results here. Hopefully Nastya Gubanova skates clean, I need her to get GP spots!

Good luck to everybody!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Besides the determination of the 3rd world spot, I think there are several other interesting storylines!

1. Will Maya Kromykh get JGP spots?
Maya made her season debut late this year, at the Volkov Memorial. By skating there, she missed the chance to skate at any of the first four stages of the Russian Cup. Because of this, despite her second place finish at the fifth stage, she did not qualify to junior nationals. After beating Alena Kanysheva earlier, improving throughout the season, and being coached by Eteri Tutberidze, she still has a shot at JGP assignments next season. Placing well here will help her receive these assignments.

2. Will Serafima be submitted to receive GP assignments?
Despite having a SB in the top 24, Serafima didn't qualify to senior nationals at all, and has struggled at other events (although she has shown improvements). At her most recent event, she scored just 157, but she's capable of - and has already - scored above 200. Placing well here, above Tarusina/Gubanova/Gulyakova could provide a reason for the Russian Federation to submit her name for GP events. If they do so, she is guaranteed one. However, this would likely be at the expense of an assignment for Tarusina or Gubanova. If either girl is above her here, I don't think the Federation will want to submit her name for GP selection.

3. Has Kamila been derailed by injury?
She has it all - beautiful jumps, exquisite spins, unique presentation. This season, her consistency has improved immensely, and her hard work paid off with a gold and silver medal at her Russian Cup stages, as well as a gold medal from Moscow Open. But she withdrew from Volkov Memorial with a small injury. She also withdrew from junior nationals, apparently because of her injury. This is her chance to have a redemption skate and to salvage her season. With her strong fall, she's still extremely likely to get JGP spots next season. But she'll have to skate well here - and at Elder Age Nationals - to really prove that she deserves that chance.

Stlcomet

Match Penalty
Independently of the result in Dragon Trophy, I think it's a mistake for Liza to be in that cup.

I totally agree. If she was dead set on Cup Finals she should have skipped Dragon. Especially if she's skating at Universiade. She probably needed to compete in two of three of those events to prove fitness but to skate all three to make up for missing a Nationals where basically all the top senior girls skated poorly anyway is overboard. Definitely for one who had just won a bronze at GPF weeks before the missed Nationals.

And, I don't want to speculate because there are a few ways to get pneumonia, but it's not a virus and it seemed to come out of nowhere, but poor nourishment is a known cause. So if she was too busy and or under duress to properly nourish already, this will only make it worse.

With that line of thinking Zhena wouldn't have made the Olympic team last year. She missed GPF and Nationals but was put on the Euro team anyway and named to the OG team the day after Euros.

Does anyone know if there will be a world feed or YouTube page for Finals?

Tyranid

Final Flight
Highly doubtful that the FFKR will take the Dragon Cup results into consideration.

So I wouldn't sweat over Liza's current position if I were you.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Ladies SP: Friday 11:00-17:32
Ladies LP: Saturday 17:00-20:38

I wonder when Sasha, Alena and Anna will arrive. Practices start Monday but they don’t compete until Friday. That seems like a long time to be there before the competition starts.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I totally agree. If she was dead set on Cup Finals she should have skipped Dragon. Especially if she's skating at Universiade. She probably needed to compete in two of three of those events to prove fitness but to skate all three to make up for missing a Nationals where basically all the top senior girls skated poorly anyway is overboard. Definitely for one who had just won a bronze at GPF weeks before the missed Nationals.

And, I don't want to speculate because there are a few ways to get pneumonia, but it's not a virus and it seemed to come out of nowhere, but poor nourishment is a known cause. So if she was too busy and or under duress to properly nourish already, this will only make it worse.

With that line of thinking Zhena wouldn't have made the Olympic team last year. She missed GPF and Nationals but was put on the Euro team anyway and named to the OG team the day after Euros.

Does anyone know if there will be a world feed or YouTube page for Finals?

I agree on both points. The competition is stiffer this year than it was last year though, so I don't think what I said ever would've come into play last year. If Liza was healthy enough to skate by Euros, she probably would have been named to that team and that would've been her "test" skate in the same way that Euros was for Zhenya. Obviously there wouldn't really have been a situation where she wouldn't have been on the Olympic team (and if Liza had been well enough to go to Euros and finished higher than Stasya, her spot probably would've been safe as well).

I'm starting to believe that Liza won't go to Universiade unless she doesn't get the spot. It's a little too close to Worlds when she's still recovering.