2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 753 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Im going to call it now that Valieva gets the first JGP next season. Since they usually sends their best newcomer there.

In my mind the top juniors for next season will be Valieva, Kanycheva, Tarakanova and possibly Uschasheva.
(This is my opinion at the moment and obviously this can change in the 7 months that are left before that season starts)

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Right now it seem better for Tarakanova to do another JGP season, with Kanysheva and Valieva as other best russian hopes.

I think it will be a more balanced and uncertain season between juniors, confronting them with Alysa Liu and growing Koreans like Young You and Haein Lee.

Me? Well I’ve just been binge watching the greatest performance of the season all morning :cool:

https://youtu.be/j8VDCwOtdKU

How about you?

Should get 9's for INT and CHOR. One thing that stood out, for me, was this: in the first half, where the music is all just straight Beethoven with no particular musical highlights, she somehow managed to make the jumps integral to the point of seeming inevitable.

anna gabriela

Rinkside
Me? Well I’ve just been binge watching the greatest performance of the season all morning :cool:

How about you?

She was just sooo good and I still can’t believe the score, it was an absolute travesty

Should get 9's for INT and CHOR. One thing that stood out, for me, was this: in the first half, where the music is all just straight Beethoven with no particular musical highlights, she somehow managed to make the jumps integral to the point of seeming inevitable.

Completely agree, the placement of the jumps is perfect, they seem to bring the accents out of the music that you wouldn’t otherwise notice. I particularly love the combo at 1:03, I feel like the whole sequence hits the rise and fall so beautifully and the euler works perfectly for that.

Ziotic

Medalist
She was just sooo good and I still can’t believe the score, it was an absolute travesty

Completely agree, the placement of the jumps is perfect, they seem to bring the accents out of the music that you wouldn’t otherwise notice. I particularly love the combo at 1:03, I feel like the whole sequence hits the rise and fall so beautifully and the euler works perfectly for that.

She’s a firecracker for sure. Such great speed across the ice and good lift into her jumps!

I really hope she continues and doesn’t get discouraged by things out of her control.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Being the first skater out makes it all the more remarkable. In hindsight, you sort of could see this skate coming, in warmups she skated full pelt with full attack and vigour. Her confidence grew during the performance, it seemed like all or nothing.

No doubt she really wanted to make up for the mistakes from the day before.

Her grandmother died on the day of the short program, and one cannot expect a 14 year old child to remain stoic and unnerved by this. Because it might very well be that 'babushka' was the one that brought little Nastya to the ice rink for many years, waited patiently for the lessons to finish, before taking the tired little girl back home again to mum and dad for their evening dinner.

Being this powerful skater, she was able to pull the guitar rock part of Moonshine off very well.

About the scores: how is Plushchenko's Angels regarded in the greater Moscow community? It was nice to see those really young trainers being very pleased with their pupil. These young women must have been competitive skaters only a few years back and having finished their studies are qualified trainers now.

Where do trainers get their education and acknowledged qualifications? Lesgaft University in Sankt Peterburg, Sambo-70 in Moscow also has higher sports education??

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think unless it gets to the point where all but two of the top twenty are Russian there will not be a change. All sports at the international championship level have limits on the number of athletes that compete from each country. The reason is it’s a zero sum game, add an extra spot for Russia and you have to take a spot away from a lower ranked country with only one spot. The only way the sport can grow is if there is an opportunity to compete for as many people as possible.

The tech minimums stop an Eddie the Eagle situation from happening and I really do feel that while it can be frustrating to see a girl doing triple doubles at Worlds when the girl who was tenth at Russian nationals can do triple triple triples.

Perhaps a better solution would be that the defending champion automatically qualifies for the next Euros/Worlds (at the discretion of their home federation) so that way potentially Russia could earn four spots.

That should certainly be doable. I agree you have to protect the countries that aren't that strong and yet at the same time reward the countries that are strong like Russia or Japan in ladies figure skating. And I like your idea of the defending world champion or european Champion or Olympic champion getting an automatic spot the next time and then adding another three from that same country after that if they have qualified for that 3.

By 2021 Russia could have seven of the top 10 ladies in the world ranking and maybe 12 of the top 20. A few years ago nobody thought that would be realistic. We shall see.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
That's not what the Olympic Movement is about these days.

Apart from Citius, Altius, Fortius, the accent has moved to fostering world peace, gender equality and other such laudable goals through sports.

Then there is the ever increasing media pressure, with the host broadcaster paying billions for the worldwide distribution rights. TV air time is only limited, and 1 competitor more for RUS, USA or JPN will mean one spot less for other NOC's so the broadcasts still fit in the same prime time slots. Wether live TV is really of the prime importance in this era with video on demand and pay-by-view services is another question.

Participating is more important than winning, isn't that the Olympic motto??

Of course there is the fact that nobody is really interested in seeing a clumsy skater from an unknown country barely being able to put down two blades straight in a single stroke, but this is what it is.

Also, when numbers are reduced in the OG, the numbers will probably also be reduced in world championships qualifiers. Gymnastics wanted to include trampolining in the summer Olympics, so artistic and rhythmic had to give way to make room.

Elana

On the Ice

How about you?

Her step sequence WOW :love:

I could watch that over and over again before watching Anna and some others, Nastya seems seems way stronger in all aspects (just doesn't have a quad) yet she's the one who will probably be staying back in juniors. Unfortunate as Anna's skating seems more juniorish to me. Would love to see them both get a senior GP next season AND see Nastya get the scores she deserves!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I actually think tvat this would be a really great idea! Because, I think it would be unfair to take a spot away from a country, since it's, for example, the world championships and how are these athletes supposed to get better and learn if it wasn't for competing internationally? So I think something like an automatic world spot for the winner would be great, but what if that person is injured or wds?

I agree. It's like in football. Plus less pressure on the current champion in the season. And more potential surprises in the results. If the champion cannot, then only three - it will be fair.

Yup I agree. If the defending champ can’t attend then, if it was a Russian skater who was defending champion, it goes back down to three. I think this way it would really increase the drama by showing a skater fighting to retain their title but keeps the country limit in place.

So if it were in place for this year’s Euros Zagitova would have automatically qualified and Tuktamysheva or Medvedeva could have taken the third spot. Almost everyone could have been happy...

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
That should certainly be doable. I agree you have to protect the countries that aren't that strong and yet at the same time reward the countries that are strong like Russia or Japan in ladies figure skating. And I like your idea of the defending world champion or european Champion or Olympic champion getting an automatic spot the next time and then adding another three from that same country after that if they have qualified for that 3.

By 2021 Russia could have seven of the top 10 ladies in the world ranking and maybe 12 of the top 20. A few years ago nobody thought that would be realistic. We shall see.

Actually I think an exception would be made for the Olympic Games since it is every four years and so much can change in four years.

What would be so great about defending champion auto qualification is that if they start off with a slow season or implode at Nationals they, and the public, aren’t penalised by missing them in the latter half of the season.

I’d be interested if the GPF next season is also an all Russia and Japan affair or if it’s like the JGP, all Russian but one.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I think the Idea of the reigning chapion being qualified automaticaly for isu championchips could be intersting. There is always the possibility that they are not in the same form as last year or injured but then they can just choose not to use their spot.
It could help the longevity issue at least a bit. (It has happened before in russia at least that lasy years world champion doesnt qualify the next year).

How to deal with olympics is tricky since it is so long in between them and that the spots are limited unlike isu championships where all contries with an eligeble skater can send one. But for normal championchips I think it is good

katymay

Medalist
Hard not to fall in love with her. And what a wonderful moment of redemption for her. She was just ON the entire way.

alvina9894

Final Flight

And 9s for SS and TR. That speed, ice coverage, edge and transitions are amazing! That's what I call appropriate amount of well-executed transitions.

Should get more than 75 for TES too. One of the best performances of the year 2018. I mean, +3 for that opening 3lz3t? +2 for that ChSq? Not a single +5 on the protocol? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?