2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 1001 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Also, there should be some goodbye to this thread. This season was even more exciting than the olympic one and all those battles on the ice and in this thread were - just unforgettable.
:thank:

Yes this season has been fantastic. Looking back, I think the major surprise was the force of the Mishin girls - one taking bronze at the GPF and the other becoming the European Champion. Who would have guessed??

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Yes this season has been fantastic. Looking back, I think the major surprise was the force of the Mishin girls - one taking bronze at the GPF and the other becoming the European Champion. Who would have guessed??

Mishin is maybe oldschooled a little to some, but that does not mean his school is weak. Let's hope Liza and Sofia will perform well at World Team Trophy.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
There's a good chance Eteri will have a ladies skater at every Grand Prix... it's going to be interesting to see who she goes with. It's really not feasible to go to all of them. She's probably going to have a skater at every JGP event too but she hasn't been to a JGP outside of Russia in a long time.

I think she'd go with all of the seniors, but if not, then most likely with Alina and Sasha due to publicity.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think she'd go with all of the seniors, but if not, then most likely with Alina and Sasha due to publicity.

This year she did not go with Elizabet to Skate Canada- Daniil did instead. I wonder if that will change now that she’s a world medalist. I guess it will also depend on which skaters overlap with each other. She did not go with Polina to skate America 2017, but was with her at NHK as Evgenia was there as well.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This year she did not go with Elizabet to Skate Canada- Daniil did instead. I wonder if that will change now that she’s a world medalist. I guess it will also depend on which skaters overlap with each other. She did not go with Polina to skate America 2017, but was with her at NHK as Evgenia was there as well.

I wonder if the Russian Fed will pressure Eteri to stop coaching Elizabet at some point, now that she's a threat to win medals (and prevent Russian skaters from doing so).

silveruskate

On the Ice
I wonder if the Russian Fed will pressure Eteri to stop coaching Elizabet at some point, now that she's a threat to win medals (and prevent Russian skaters from doing so).

This is interesting to me because Elizabet has said in an interview that she will never leave Eteri again, but who says Eteri will be able to keep her? I think with her reputation as a coach even greater it could be easier for her to force RusFed to allow it, however with the Russian talent she has and limited time, it might even be an easy excuse to say goodbye to poor Lil Bet.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, this will be a real test case of where FFKKR stands: protecting its own interests over helping advance figure skating all over the world.
I assume Tursynbayeva 'pays her own way' from private money and Kazakhstan funds or sponsors, despite Elizabet being Moscow born and raised?

The purely practical reason of #TeamTutberidze time constraints: how much training time needs a young adult but almost fully developed skater?
One would assume Khrustalniy staff works in shifts, with the very young, the young juniors, the current competing juniors, the young seniors, the older seniors (Zagitova and Tursynbayeva together) and other 'foreign' charges??

Now KAZ has 3 WC spots, where would Team KAZ train, will having Tursynbayeva train with them any advantage for the others?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do hope Elizabet is able to stay with Eteri as long as she wants to. I can't think of a skater at that age who has made such drastic improvements in jump quality as Elizabet has.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I will miss this thread. It has been 1/3 about russian ladies skating, 1/3 about Medvedeva, and 1/3 about Eteri Tutberidze. I wonder what's in store for the new season thread...:scratch2::luv17:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Hey Spirals for Miles? Is it time to start a new thread? Russian Ladies 2019-20. :popcorn:

I wonder if this year Russian Ladies thread is the longest and the most viewed one in GS history. Thank you all contributors and critics as well who keep the thread off any "fan fest" allegiance.

I am a bit nostalgic now and I would like to tell how it all started. When I came here in 2014 Russian ladies have been already on the rise. Of course, there were heated discussions about Sotnikova's win. But most of the people agreed that Yulia was outstanding. And Russian juniors won the worlds podium that year.

To address that a thread appeared: "Russian babies are wonderful!". It was in the Edge for a while and then it was moved to Fan Fest with a different title. Feeling the vacuum, I wrote to administration on May 10, 2014: "I think that bringing a little more Russian perspective and attracting some more Russians would be good to the forum. Like we have "state of the US ladies" thread but no "state of Russian ladies" thread in the main section. Why?"

The answer was quite reasonable: "Why don't you start one?".

We were "losing" to the US thread in the number of posts and views up until this season. And this year has marked a breakthrough which, I hope, will continue!

Amei

Record Breaker
Yes, this will be a real test case of where FFKKR stands: protecting its own interests over helping advance figure skating all over the world.
I assume Tursynbayeva 'pays her own way' from private money and Kazakhstan funds or sponsors, despite Elizabet being Moscow born and raised?

I'm fine if its the first, it's the Russian Federation - their aim should always be first and foremost their country's flag being raised on that podium. Why in the world would any Federation want to advance figure skating in other countries where they might get more competition?

Besides Kazakhstan or Elizabet who should be paying for her training? Yes she's Moscow born/raised but she's competing for another country.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I'm fine if its the first, it's the Russian Federation - their aim should always be first and foremost their country's flag being raised on that podium. Why in the world would any Federation want to advance figure skating in other countries where they might get more competition?

Besides Kazakhstan or Elizabet who should be paying for her training? Yes she's Moscow born/raised but she's competing for another country.

There is another advantage we don’t want to talk about but is still in play - judges. Eteri currently has 3 countries at her camp - Russia, Kazakhstan and Georgia. We don’t like to talk about it, but even if not overt, it can cause a bias. I am not talking about a big conspiracy - just subconscious bias towards a skater based on their coach who happens to train your countries skater. Maybe giving a skater 8.5 instead of 8.25 or +3 instead of +2 if they were on the fence. And by how close the scores were at worlds, that can be the difference between a world medal and being off the podium.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Kostornaya answered in her account that she is still with Eteri and didn't try to go anywhere else :) Also, most likely she will participate in Krasnodar show (and we will see her new gala) :hap85::hap10::yes2:

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
In all honesty, I think we should not let go until after WTT :laugh: