2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 1002 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Arbitrary

Medalist
Roman Kostomarov (former IceDance Russian skater with Tatiana Navka) in his recent interview talked about Zagitova.

- She'd better stop right now, it will be much more difficult for her to stop later.

Not that I understand much what did he want to say exactly...

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So many people talk (and talked) about Alina should stop. If only Alina had listened to them, Kazakhstan could have first gold medal :laugh:

Happy Skates

Final Flight
So many people talk (and talked) about Alina should stop. If only Alina had listened to them, Kazakhstan could have first gold medal :laugh:

It still amazes me that people can simultaneously say that the Russians have no longevity, and then go on to talk about how Alina, a 16 year old girl who has specifically stated her intention to continue, should retire.

Arbitrary

Medalist
It still amazes me that people can simultaneously say that the Russians have no longevity, and then go on to talk about how Alina, a 16 year old girl who has specifically stated her intention to continue, should retire.

It may depend on a particular desire to see their most liked skaters to win whenever the less liked may interfere.
The Fanclub on skater A may recommend the skater B to retire ASAP. Especially if A is positioned higher than B.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
There is something to be said about going out while your on top. I get that rationale and Alina is going to have a much harder time staying competitive in the future and any retirement later will likely be after some disappointing finishes. So I see where they are coming from, but at the end of the day it’s up to what Alina wants.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
On one hand it may sound well to "end career as a world champion", but if any world champion would follow this, we would never have persons like Michelle Kwan or Miki Ando. I name Miki also for the fact that she won world title in 2007 and then in 2011. The fact that you may not win the title next time should not stop you from doing what you like. Also, there are many skaters who skate despite they know they have little chance for gold in worlds, but are given as examples for "longevity". Yes, I summon you, Carolina, who Alina gives as her rolemodel. And Alina, with all respect to Carlina, has still much greater chance for another victories.

So, it should be on Alina whether she wants to compete further or not. Also, there were the voices she should end during the entire season prophecing her bitter ending and now she is world champion. Alina is 16 that looks to me too young to be retired unless there are some objective reasons.

Also, I don't understand why people still discuss it particularly with Alina. Why not with Zhenya, Liza, Masha and others.

LRK

Record Breaker
Alina - or anyone else - will retire when she's good and ready. Don't "listen to the tyranny of reasonable voices." Otherwise I'm sure Sofia would have retired long since - who thought she'd achieve anything? - and she'd not be European Champion.

Anyway, you can always retire - that's not an option that is going anywhere. Everyone retires sooner or later. But if everyone retires who people thought should retire, there'd be no one left.

The skater is doing well? Well, then they should retire, because soon they won't be doing well any longer, because puberty/injury/some other skater will overtake them - and so, they may as well quit.

The skater is not doing so well? Well, then clearly they are doomed, and should just quit, and save themselves and everyone else the misery.

Either way, everyone just gets written off. The writers-off are ever diligent. Scribble-scribble-scribble.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It is as if people would think in the way movies are created. Struggles, then grand finale, victory, promise of true love and ending credits starting with directed by. But life does not end with the first world title even if it would be the last also.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
It may depend on a particular desire to see their most liked skaters to win whenever the less liked may interfere.
The Fanclub on skater A may recommend the skater B to retire ASAP. Especially if A is positioned higher than B.

It may, but it's been said for skaters without a huge fanbase nowadays too. There was plenty of that for half of the Russians this year, some were "done", some were "not going to have a [bright] future" and so on. :)

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Also, I don't understand why people still discuss it particularly with Alina. Why not with Zhenya, Liza, Masha and others.

So as long as it's not Alina it's okay to say it? It's been discussed with pretty much all of those which you mentioned, including Sofia.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Great point happy. True.

Fluture

Record Breaker

:palmf: This is NOT just about Alina. Have you been in this thread at all this year? Basically every Russian lady was doomed as soon as she put even one foot wrong. Alina, Zhenya, Masha, Liza... all those you just mentioned and a lot more.

And about Alina: Well, there is a reasonable explanation why people think she might retire. It’s something that separates her from the other skaters. She has won every title. And once you‘ve done that, you may need to find a different motivation. Or look at other things life has to offer. Alina will make that decision for herself and will not care about anything we say here anyway. And rightly so. If she wants to continue that‘s great, she‘s young after all, she can do a lot more. But I wouldn‘t blame her if she started to see different things now, other than figure skating. Training and competing at a top level is hard. We don’t know what Alina wants, maybe she doesn‘t know it herself yet. The season has just ended. Let‘s give her some time to think. Anyway, Alina and every other skater for that matter, will only be done once they say so.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
And about Alina: Well, there is a reasonable explanation why people think she might retire. It’s something that separates her from the other skaters. She has won every title. And once you‘ve done that, you may need to find a different motivation. Or look at other things life has to offer. Alina will make that decision for herself and will not care about anything we say here anyway. And rightly so. If she wants to continue that‘s great, she‘s young after all, she can do a lot more. But I wouldn‘t blame her if she started to see different things now, other than figure skating. Training and competing at a top level is hard. We don’t know what Alina wants, maybe she doesn‘t know it herself yet. The season has just ended. Let‘s give her some time to think. Anyway, Alina and every other skater for that matter, will only be done once they say so.

I agree with this. I could see why retirement could be an option. Alina's international career spans just three season but she's accomplished every major accomplishment there is to accomplish in this sport in that short time. Going back to her junior days she's won: junior nationals, senior nationals, Europeans, junior grand prix final, grand prix final, junior worlds, senior worlds and the olympics. Literally, everything there is to win, she's won it. It's rather remarkable...

The truth is from here on out everything else she wins is just extra. Even if she loses all of her jumps next year and never wins another gold, her name is in the history books. It's going to get tougher with the new skaters coming in next season and, like Fluture said, motivation could be an issue. If she's motivated to win more medals then she's all set; however, if winning that one medal is what motivated her, now she's achieved it she'll have to find something else to drive her.

Or she could branch off outside of the sport and follow other paths and opportunities. There's a lot of life that happens outside of the bubble of skating. She appears to be very popular not only in Russia but in Japan as well. I'm sure there are a lot of options for her if she wanted to move on. The good thing for her is she has those options. She could make a living doing commercials, appearances, shows, etc. and do very well. The majority of skaters don't have that option. It's a great position to be in: continue to compete or leave and discover life outside of skating. She can do whatever she wants.

vitamintea

On the Ice
:palmf: This is NOT just about Alina. Have you been in this thread at all this year? Basically every Russian lady was doomed as soon as she put even one foot wrong. Alina, Zhenya, Masha, Liza... all those you just mentioned and a lot more.

Everywhere else that skaters are told to retire, it's because they're struggling and people want to see the old guard cleared out for the next generation. I know this hurts the feelings of fans who like the older skaters--and I have my sentimental favorites too, I'll be sad that Pogo probably won't compete ever again--but I recognize this is a sport and we want to see the top competing. I hope that Maria, Elena, etc. won't get GP assignments or world spots IF they continue to skate like they have. If they have a resurgence like Liza did then I would definitely say they deserve whatever assignments they get and they should keep competing!

The difference is that everyone is telling Alina to retire despite the fact she's doing well, still winning competitions, and still very young. Isn't that logic just... backwards from how we usually approach things? And isn't it inane to suggest skaters should retire once they win everything? I mean no one told Michelle Kwan to step down after winning US Nationals so many years in a row. Do you see Japanese fans telling Hanyu to step down because he's won everything and there's nothing to do? No, because that suggestion would be rightfully laughed at.