2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 415 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boy reading this thread... should be require to read it while drinking... is mostly predictions of doom for Y and X skater...
Just wait until after this week’s JGP. We’ll see a cut copy paste of page ~680 and up...(that weren't deleted for inappropriateness). Poor Anna and her fans!

Meanwhile I’m just hoping to see a happy video from Asya April on her trip back home ;)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Ok , so really , as Sam mentioned above , can something happen from admins so that this thing about Evgenia and Alina stop? Seriously, this whole theory that Alina and Med will not stand a chance after this season cuz eteris quad girls is insane!!! Sport is not only about who wins , it is about to enjoy skating of these girls and discuss with each other for each of them as unique personalities on the ice , not just the girl who will beat Evgenia and Alina .
PLEASEEEE
Pages over pages over pages and we cannot read the forum anymore and enjoy discussion.

Don't stop this, restricting topics sucks just because there is soo much to discuss about a certain one.

After all this is not OT, and it's an interesting debate we should discuss but i'm okay on doing it on a separate thread.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
check out the recent Liza's tweet :biggrin: gotta love her attitude towards tsl

Thank god someone called them out.

I couldn't finish it, cause half of the podcasts was talking about very inappropriate topics and the other half was Doug bashing on the russian ladies because they're trained by russian coaches.

It's interesting cause in the post-Olympics episode he was full on bashing Evgenia Medvedeva, shaming her flutz and creating conspiracy theories about her using doping, while now it's all praise for her because she trains at the Cricket Club.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I couldn't finish it, cause half of the podcasts was talking about very inappropriate topics and the other half was Doug bashing on the russian ladies because they're trained by russian coaches.

It's interesting cause in the post-Olympics episode he was full on bashing Evgenia Medvedeva, shaming her flutz and creating conspiracy theories about her using doping, while now it's all praise for her because she trains at the Cricket Club.

Why would you even attempt to listen though? :roll5:

Liza has always been cool like that :dance3:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Because they have good inside sources, there aren't many podcasts about figure skating with knowledge about the athletes, how things work from a skater perspective,...

Unfortunately then they have dozens of episodes like this, where it almost feels like they make bold claims and throw shades and bash even on 13ys old girls, almost hoping ISU listens to them. Judging their guests, you realize how much envy is shared even with coaches and choreographers, there are many Douglas Haw out there.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Liza has always been cool like that :dance3:

Exactly, the moment people stop giving clicks to TSL it will be the moment they are finisfh, they are new podcast like In The Loop that are trying to give a balancing comment on the skaters.

andromache

Record Breaker
Because they have good inside sources, there aren't many podcasts about figure skating with knowledge about the athletes, how things work from a skater perspective,...

Unfortunately then they have dozens of episodes like this, where it almost feels like they make bold claims and throw shades and bash even on 13ys old girls, almost hoping ISU listens to them. Judging their guests, you realize how much envy is shared even with coaches and choreographers, there are many Douglas Haw out there.

I like TSL and I don't take them too seriously, though they occasionally say stuff that actually makes me mad, I've been able to learn a lot from their guests, and I actually have pretty similar taste in performances to Jonathan (and sometimes Dave). But you're spot on about Doug Haw. I appreciate his expertise, but some of his comments were very out of line (the "Liza should lose ten pounds" comment was especially dreadful) and you can tell that he thinks very highly of himself because he is friends with BOrser.

(I usually try not to go off-topic like this especially when it comes to TSL, but Doug Haw really made me :rolleye:).

Anyway, Liza's twitter account has totally slayed. Younger athletes should definitely stay off of social media, but Liza obviously has the strength and maturity to deal with whatever shade people throw and to give it right back. She's awesome!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Anyway, Liza's twitter account has totally slayed. Younger athletes should definitely stay off of social media, but Liza obviously has the strength and maturity to deal with whatever shade people throw and to give it right back. She's awesome!

I totally agree and thought she looked great!

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
We will see Tarakanova and Shcherbakova tomorrow!

There are three events going on this weekend! :eeking: Lombardia Ladies short tomorrow morning/afternoon (depend on time zone) for Samodurova and Tuktamysheva, then short for Shcherbakova/Tarakanova tomorrow afternoon/evening at JGP Canada. Plus the U.S. Classic - no Russians but another look at Yelim Kim who is right now the top threat for the Russian junior ladies. How will we watch it all!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
There are three events going on this weekend! :eeking: Lombardia Ladies short tomorrow morning/afternoon (depend on time zone) for Samodurova and Tuktamysheva, then short for Shcherbakova/Tarakanova tomorrow afternoon/evening at JGP Canada. Plus the U.S. Classic - no Russians but another look at Yelim Kim who is right now the top threat for the Russian ladies. How will we watch it all!
You are forgetting Cup of Russia event 1 on 14-18 September and there additionally is a very minor local competition, that however doesn't have very many interesting contestants outside of Alena Zhilina.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
You are forgetting Cup of Russia event 1 on 14-18 September and there additionally is a very minor local competition, that however doesn't have very many interesting contestants outside of Alena Zhilina.

Yes I was looking at the events that start on the 12th which is today. I had forgotten about the domestic events. Wow this is so much. I looked at the season schedule and we are going to be very busy over the next few weeks until senior GP starts. Challenger events have started and will be going on at the same time as the JGP with big names from Russian senior ladies plus Cup of Russia events. I will breath a sigh of relief after Yerevan for many reasons lol.

Lightstar

On the Ice

Who is participating in the Russian Cup? Someone interesting?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Who is participating in the Russian Cup? Someone interesting?

Polina Tsurskaya looks to be the most notable skater. Otherwise, there are plenty of Panova skaters and Viktoria Vasilieva. But I don't know about regions other than Moscow.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I like TSL and I don't take them too seriously, though they occasionally say stuff that actually makes me mad, I've been able to learn a lot from their guests, and I actually have pretty similar taste in performances to Jonathan (and sometimes Dave). But you're spot on about Doug Haw. I appreciate his expertise, but some of his comments were very out of line (the "Liza should lose ten pounds" comment was especially dreadful) and you can tell that he thinks very highly of himself because he is friends with BOrser.

I don't comment much about skaters' bodies, but I do not think Liza needs to lose any weight as all. I do feel like if she had more core strength, her carriage and lines would improve a lot, but that has nothing to do with how much she weighs.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't comment much about skaters' bodies, but I do not think Liza needs to lose any weight as all. I do feel like if she had more core strength, her carriage and lines would improve a lot, but that has nothing to do with how much she weighs.

I generally agree. Her weaknesses as a skater have nothing to do with her weight, or her body shape.

Doug Haw seemed to suggest that merely losing weight would make the judges give her higher scores because of a bias the judges have toward more thin-looking, waify skaters. I'm not sure if that's the case or not, but I think it is harmful to suggest that skaters should lose weight to get higher scores when the sport is already full of eating disorders.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Speaking of this, does anyone know if there will be a live stream for Lombardia? I remember it watching it last year but of course I got the stream from the event forum which is now only paid access. :(

I really want to watch Liza live tomorrow. Could someone let me know if they are aware of a stream? Thanks