2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 456 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, it's not Kanysheva's spot that's in danger of going to Vasilieva. It's Tarusina's at JGP Slovenia.

Ziotic

Medalist
What is with Russian lady crosscuts, why are they unable to hold their arms steady.

I’m genuinely curious why it’s not corrected by coaches? Or do they think it’s proper?

I’ve always been taught that the only thing that should be moving is your lower half. But all Russian ladies swing their arms a ton??

katymay

Medalist
Most recent competition -- 1st stage of the Cup of Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTswwjYSoA

Bland? I don't know what it is. She does everything well. Nice solid jumps. Nice spins. She is ...nice. In the US, she would be probably at the top. Back crossovers could use some work. She has mastered everything as it should be, and yet? Perhaps it is the construction of the program, which is...well, not very special. Sort of a cookie cutter program, A B C and then D.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Would much prefer to watch Kanysheva again at a second JGP/JGPF. She's an absolute gem while I personally find Vasilieva completely forgettable. Every time I hear somebody talk about her I have to look her up again just to make sure I've got the correct skater in mind.

LOL, same. I don't find Tarusina very memorable, either (though she seems like a sweet girl). But Kanysheva is brilliant. She reminds me a bit of Ekaterina Kurakova. Her LP is really superb and different from the current trends in Russian ladies' programs, in a good way.

TGee

Record Breaker
What is with Russian lady crosscuts, why are they unable to hold their arms steady.

I’m genuinely curious why it’s not corrected by coaches? Or do they think it’s proper?

I’ve always been taught that the only thing that should be moving is your lower half. But all Russian ladies swing their arms a ton??
These aspects of skating skills don't seem to get the same attention in the Russian approach beyond the lowest levels that they do in other regions. There just seems to be a different emphasis.

That said, TAT has commented in interviews that singles skaters should be using the off-season to continue to work on the basics/foundations and she raises concerns when she sees no progress. And Trankov, Tchaikovskaya and other Russian commentators have expressed the hope that Medvedeva will learn to ride her blades in the Canadian way for example. So, there definitely are Russian opinion-leaders who are signalling that this could get more attention.

For my part, in addition to wobbliness in the arms and upper body, I note that Russian ladies don't seem to be attaining the proportion of blade pushes on their cross-cuts that are the required norm elsewhere and that they are not bending their ankles and knees sufficiently to get depth of edge. All of which means that they don't accelerate as well and look more jerky, and less smooth in their movements, despite better arm positions from ballet.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems awkward to hold your arms still on a cross over not to mention the aesthetic it creates :slink:
(unless you’re doing a riverdance :biggrin: )

Gracie gold is the first that comes to mind when I think of a great skater in spite of unsightly crossovers.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dang i got to save it.
Its literally a universal FS comment

I really want to take the time to figure out how to make gifs. I need Sasha doing burn arounds on the Quad Wheeler and on the hover board for my GS conversational needs :devil:

alvina9894

Final Flight
or my part, in addition to wobbliness in the arms and upper body, I note that Russian ladies don't seem to be attaining the proportion of blade pushes on their cross-cuts that are the required norm elsewhere and that they are not bending their ankles and knees sufficiently to get depth of edge. All of which means that they don't accelerate as well and look more jerky, and less smooth in their movements, despite better arm positions from ballet.

I totally agree. I would like to add that there could not be "artistry" on ice when the person can't master his/her blades. They may have lyrical arms, but the upper body is often not steady and their legs very distractive - stiff knees, constant mule-kicking, shallow wobbly edges... that all lead to an unsteady trunk. Moreover, in these skaters I often see them trying to perform difficult steps and turns by pulling with their upper body and that's just painful to watch.

It does not help when these skaters choreographed a minute-long step sequence in their programs.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I totally agree. I would like to add that there could not be "artistry" on ice when the person can't master his/her blades. They may have lyrical arms, but the upper body is often not steady and their legs very distractive - stiff knees, constant mule-kicking, shallow wobbly edges... that all lead to an unsteady trunk. Moreover, in these skaters I often see them trying to perform difficult steps and turns by pulling with their upper body and that's just painful to watch.

It does not help when these skaters choreographed a minute-long step sequence in their programs.

for what purpose do you write about it here? If you do not like Russian ladies there are many others.

katymay

Medalist

I do not like the mule kicks. Hate them in fact. They seem sloppy. BUT, having watched the younger kids competition last weekend, I saw a great deal of mastery of edging and footwork, even when that was all the child could do as a beginner. Many had not mastered a single spin, or a single jump, but they could move their bodies down the ice, and do it in way that was mostly pleasing. Compare to so many US skaters, who poke poke poke along, moving so slowly I don't even care what the jump they are setting up for is going to be.

TGee

Record Breaker
for what purpose do you write about it here? If you do not like Russian ladies there are many others.
One can really like Russian Junior Ladies, while wishing that their coaches and current training program would address some issues. This is not a fan fest but a place to discuss Russian ladies skating.

And some of us have been wondering how we can have pages in this thread counting the number of cross-cuts in a program without any consideration of the quality of the cross-cuts (also known as crossovers).

I've been following Russian skaters since the Soviet era, and the notably weaker skating skills is a relatively recent issue. If anything Soviet skaters had better scores than many other regions on compulsory figures and good mastery of their blades.

These weaknesses in cross-cuts and bladework are things that take away from Russian Junior Ladies overall achievement/performance. And these are things that mean that several of them aren't really ready for seniors, despite their other strengths.

If they are seeking to jump quads like senior men, they will need to be ready for the critiques of 'lacking senior speed' that many men get when they move up to seniors internationally.

(Actually this isn't so much a problem for Russian men....one could ask what's the difference between ladies and men's training.)

(Other things typically take away from the overall performance of skaters from other regions, but this thread isn't about that. All training approaches have their pros and cons. )

Last, I'd like to point out that there are some of the Russian Ladies who are far stronger on skating skills, particularly cross-cuts. Nastiya Tarakanova is one who stands out in this regard.

If we can't bring up issues that Russian commentators (TAT, Trankov, Tchaikovskaia) are identifying as concerns, analyze them, and think about which Russian Ladies are doing better and worse in this regard, than this should be a fest rather than a national thread.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One can really like Russian Junior Ladies, while wishing that their coaches and current training program would address some issues. This is not a fan fest but a place to discuss Russian ladies skating.

And some of us have been wondering how we can have pages in this thread counting the number of cross-cuts in a program without any consideration of the quality of the cross-cuts (also known as crossovers).

I've been following Russian skaters since the Soviet era, and the notably weaker skating skills is a relatively recent issue. If anything Soviet skaters had better scores than many other regions on compulsory figures and good mastery of their blades.

These weaknesses in cross-cuts and bladework are things that take away from Russian Junior Ladies overall achievement/performance. And these are things that mean that several of them aren't really ready for seniors, despite their other strengths.

If they are seeking to jump quads like senior men, they will need to be ready for the critiques of 'lacking senior speed' that many men get when they move up to seniors internationally.

(Actually this isn't so much a problem for Russian men....one could ask what's the difference between ladies and men's training.)

(Other things typically take away from the overall performance of skaters from other regions, but this thread isn't about that. All training approaches have their pros and cons. )

Last, I'd like to point out that there are some of the Russian Ladies who are far stronger on skating skills, particularly cross-cuts. Nastiya Tarakanova is one who stands out in this regard.

If we can't bring up issues that Russian commentators (TAT, Trankov, Tchaikovskaia) are identifying as concerns, analyze them, and think about which Russian Ladies are doing better and worse in this regard, than this should be a fest rather than a national thread.

Sashsa jumps quads and has some of the best skating skills on the JGP. Her basics are on par and surpass her peers from other countries in most regards.

Maybe it would be better to open a new thread that discusses and compares basic skating skills so that we can compare with skaters from other countries. Canada for example really prides themselves on having stronger basics. It might be interesting to compare Alena,Anna, and Sasha’s posture and overall basics to their juniors. This isn’t the place for such a discussion though. I don’t think most people come or have historically come to this thread to point out perceived weaknesses of some of the greatest JGP performances. YMMV