2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 507 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I may be wrong but I think Eteri never put her top skaters before finals to compete against each other? And they don't need the cup of russia to be at nationals so the most likely is be there only one Eteri skater
no, she did. 17/18 season was the same. They all competed at the cup of russia against each other. They need these competitions to keep the shape and for more practice before JGPF.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Radionova WD from stage 2 - so she can only skate one stage more. Right now she is automatically in because she has a GP, but if she doesn't skate either, she'd have to go via Russian Cup and not only would she not place high enough to qualify but she can only do one more stage - stage 5. So she can't qualify at all without NHK. It's competitive experience for Eteri's girls, and last year Tarakanova and Trusova faced off at Stage 5, with Tarakanova winning. So it could happen again.

By the way, isn't Maria Dmitrieva born 2007? so she can't skate junior at Russian Cup? if so, that would give Kostyuk the win.

I hope that they change the system where GP participants automatically qualify for the senior nationals. I don't think that it makes very much sense. There should at the very least be some performance requirement, such as medaling in an event.

As is, I feel like there'll be around half a dozen wasted spots for this year's nationals and there would be plenty of skaters who'd love the opportunity.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
By the way, isn't Maria Dmitrieva born 2007? so she can't skate junior at Russian Cup? if so, that would give Kostyuk the win.
I don't remember any rules about age for junior at Russian Cup. even if there any, I don't think it will give Kostyuk the win. She will remain with 16 points. :scratch2:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I hope that they change the system where GP participants automatically qualify for the senior nationals. I don't think that it makes very much sense. There should at the very least be some performance requirement, such as medaling in an event.

As is, I feel like there'll be around half a dozen wasted spots for this year's nationals and there would be plenty of skaters who'd love the opportunity.

I thought about that last night... like top 5 or medaling would be good. I think it's left over from a system where qualifying for the GP was a big deal for Russian ladies. Not anymore.

moriel

Record Breaker
This is really good. A -3Lo combination, any -3Lo combination allows you to do 2 Flips and Lutzs in the long e.g. 2A-3Lo, 3F-3T, 3Lz-2T-2T/2Lo, or 3F-3T-2T and 3Lz-2T/2Lo. Could be first step towards doing one of the latter.

Its practice. She did 2A combos in practice with Eteri also.
Same as the "quads in practice" for me, until its done in competition, it didnt happened.

Same as the "quads in practice" for me, until its done in competition, it didnt happened.

I don't expect to see it this season. Maybe they're making her do difficult combos so she can focus on improving her 2A quality, actually. She'd need better outflow out of a 2A for something like this, so "getting her into the zone" with a combo like that.

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Sakhanovich seems unlikely to make nationals, with a 4 + 5 but could be put in the way Fedichkina was last year. Shilenko has a 3 + 4 - ahead of Sakhanovich, but if she qualifies I could see them putting Sakhanovich in instead.

Very informative post, thank you. So they can bypass their own rules somehow? What was "the way they put Fedichkina in"?

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't expect to see it this season. Maybe they're making her do difficult combos so she can focus on improving her 2A quality, actually. She'd need better outflow out of a 2A for something like this, so "getting her into the zone" with a combo like that.

I kind of dunno. I know she was doing 2A-3T in practice before, and maybe other stuff too. Its not like it improved her 2A much.
The main benefit of such combo would be the possibility to have more expensive jumps in FS as people pointed out, but then there is the lutz issue.

Miller

Final Flight

I think the point is it's a step down the line. Ultimately something like that could allow her to do 2 Flips and Lutzs (with all their lovely GOEs available - both higher than the max of 2.1 last season), plus up her Base Value as well.

Yes, it hasn't happened, but as a tactical/strategical approach it has a lot to commend it. You don't have to do a 3F-3Lo or 3Lz-3Lo combo to allow you to do 2 Flips and Lutzs in the long, and a 2A-3Lo combo would seem a much easier way of achieving this.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
you don't need +3lo combo to have 2 Flips and Lutzs. There are other ways to do it.
And IMO it's pointless with the lutz issue.

Miller

Final Flight
So, Gulyakova has qualified to nationals with a 1 + 1 (comp is over)
If Radionova does not withdraw from NHK, then there are four more spots. If she does - then there are five.

Current standings of those with one event who haven't already qualified:
1. Tarusina (2 + ?)
2. Nugumanova (2 + ?)
3. Vasilieva (2 + ?) SKATES FOURTH STAGE
4. Talalaikina (3 + ?)
5. Gubanova (3 + ?) SKATES FOURTH STAGE
6. Gracheva (4 + ?) SKATES FOURTH STAGE

Sakhanovich seems unlikely to make nationals, with a 4 + 5 but could be put in the way Fedichkina was last year. Shilenko has a 3 + 4 - ahead of Sakhanovich, but if she qualifies I could see them putting Sakhanovich in instead. With a sixth place, Sinitsyna will likely not qualify unless she wins her next stage perhaps.

Pogorilaya seems right now to be starting at the fourth stage, but was supposed to be at the third, so she could withdraw still, unsure. The fourth stage will be very hard, since Trusova, Kostornaya, and Tarakanova will all be there as well. And those not marked as fourth stage must be at the fifth to qualify. We already know Kostornaya will be there, and I could see Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Tarakanova all being there as well since it's in Moscow.

Shilenko may well have already qualified. If Trusova, Kostornaya and Tarakanova are all at stage 4, and Shcherbakova also at Stage 5 then it would appear virtually impossible for 4 of the 6 with 2nd, 3rd or 4th places to all end up with 7 total placements or less (and beat Shilenko on a points tiebreaker if necessary).

Miller

Final Flight
you don't need +3lo combo to have 2 Flips and Lutzs. There are other ways to do it.
And IMO it's pointless with the lutz issue.

But the Euler -1Eu- way for 3 part combos has a lower base value than the way I'm suggesting, plus we've already seen she's trying out the Lutz in the short rather than her loop. It may well all be part of a 2 or 3 pronged approach to up her technical content and overall scoring potential.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
At the state that Dasha and Anastasia (Gulyakova) are at, I kind of wish the latter could replace the former in one of the GPs. Anastasia was kind of robbed of a second JGP last season and got none this season despite very good national results. I really hope she at the very least gets a CS event.

moriel

Record Breaker
But the Euler -1Eu- way for 3 part combos has a lower base value than the way I'm suggesting, plus we've already seen she's trying out the Lutz in the short rather than her loop. It may well all be part of a 2 or 3 pronged approach to up her technical content and overall scoring potential.

But still Lz is the main issue here.
Well, GP soon, we shall see how it goes.

Kinda pointless to discuss until we see what actually is going on.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Very informative post, thank you. So they can bypass their own rules somehow? What was "the way they put Fedichkina in"?
by decision of coaches' council (that is: whomever they wish to put in, happens a week or two before Nationals)

moriel

Record Breaker
by decision of coaches' council (that is: whomever they wish to put in, happens a week or two before Nationals)

But then not sure if they have any reason to put her in so far.
If anything, it would make sense for them to get Pogo in for her past achievments on senior level.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
But then not sure if they have any reason to put her in so far.
If anything, it would make sense for them to get Pogo in for her past achievments on senior level.

Exactly, that's why I don't think it will happen
But I don't think it will happen with Pogorilaya - she never really seemed to have favor and RusFed isn't really about pushing past results before current ones, so if she isn't skating at a high level now (and she likely isn't, that's natural) then I don't think Coaches' Council would want to do that.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Was the most recent vid posted to Zhenyas instagram? Or was it filmed by someone else? Because I actually think that makes a difference. It means she’s more likely to be able to do it on command and more solid if it’s posted by someone else. I assume when posted by your own Instagram they are filming multiple takes, possibly over several days, to analyze form and then just post the best one.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Was the most recent vid posted to Zhenyas instagram? Or was it filmed by someone else? Because I actually think that makes a difference. It means she’s more likely to be able to do it on command and more solid if it’s posted by someone else. I assume when posted by your own Instagram they are filming multiple takes, possibly over several days, to analyze form and then just post the best one.

It was posted by someone who is working for one of Canadian TV networks which prepares some sort of material about Evgenia. It looked like a fragment of longer film which was cut during montage process.

Fluture

Record Breaker

It was posted by someone else. It seems like there will be a short documentary about Zhenya for a Canadian programme called TSN. Maybe it‘s an introduction video for SCI or something like this. But she looked very focused in this video, I think it‘s her actual training and they‘re just filming her.

About the layout: I don‘t think Evgenia has ever done a 2A-3Lo combo, at least I‘ve never seen her do one. She tacked 3T onto every possible jump (including even Lutz and Axel) so maybe she‘s trying the same now with 3Lo? Being able to consistently land it in combo with other jumps. I think it will take some time before we‘ll see her change her layout significantly, though. This year she‘s primarily working on her technique, fixing the axel and trying to get a better edge on the lutz. It’s a transitional period. I guess by next year we‘ll see real changes and better programs, too. Her axel looks a lot better now even though it‘s still not perfect and she‘s even able to tack a loop on to it, so I‘m fairly optimistic for her improvement in the long run. But we‘ll see what happens at SCI. For now the main thing is to skate clean, I think, it‘s too soon to expect any serious changes.

About the lutz issue: Well, she will likely never get a really deep outside edge. If she got it to be consistently on a flat edge, it would be good. Not many skaters have a really deep outside edge so if she has a flat edge she should be fine. Maybe not add a combo to it because the GOE will likely never be the best for her on this jump but it’s already enough if she has two 3Lz in her programs. But this will likely take some time, edge issues aren‘t easy to fix.