2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 512 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Not sure.

During interviews everyone was soo read to hear from her how Eteri treated her poorly, but actually she said she left only because of how stressful the competition was on that group, but she blamed more herself for not telling the truth to the coaches and continuing working to catch up with the other girls.

I don't believe in curses but people need to understand that Eteri is probably the group where you train maybe more than any other groups in Russia, as pretty much all their skaters said when they compare their work there with other coaches, so when you leave, it can be really hard to adjust your training. .

Even if she had problems with Eteri it would not be politically smart to voice them. So we may not have her full story or real reasons for leaving. I’m sure the competitive nature was part of the issue but it’s hard to believe that this is the only reason four top skaters left Eteri within a matter of months.

Adjusting to training after Eteri may be one reason skaters struggle when leaving her. But it also might be just the opposite - the training is so rigorous under Eteri that it takes a toll on their bodies and they might never be able to recover. It may not be the new coach’s fault or that the skater isn’t pushing herself hard enough if she has recurrent injuries and strains from overtraining under a previous coach.

moriel

Record Breaker
Samodurova interview: https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1068068484.html
Full interview here: https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2018/10/22/a_12030397.shtml

- Share your plans for the season. What is the most important competition for you?

- The main competition of the season are the Russian Nationals. The task for the season is to skate clean and show solid performances.

- What result at Russian Nationals you will consider success?

- I don’t want to think now about the placements at Nationals. The main thing is to do your job, and the judges will decide for themselves what place I deserve.

- Now girls are beginning to actively master the quadruple jumps. Do you plan to ever try to execute a quad?

- First, I plan to master the triple Axel.

- Do you have idols in ladies skating?

- Yes, I have an idol. This is Ashley Wagner. It is a pity that she is not competing now. I really miss her skating! By the way, she also congratulated me, I was so shocked!

Fluture

Record Breaker
Nastya is different case. She is adjusted to coaches changing and hasn't such number of injuries behind. And what is maybe even more important Nastya really want to win competitions.

Well, but as others pointed out here, he also helped Serafima a lot. I‘m always one to be objective and I‘m by no means Plushenko‘s biggest fan - in fact I find some of his business pretty doubtful but that‘s not the topic here - but I think credit where credit’s due. He isn‘t proven yet but he did do some good work and we should recognise that. He‘s still a new coach but I think it‘s pretty good for him to work with skaters like Nastya who - like you said - is hungry to win and seems very eager to learn new things. I don‘t even know whether he‘d be the right coach for Polina and I‘m not arguing that he is - just that he did better than expected so far and in the future might be an additional option to consider. :)

What Polina needs is actually pretty difficult to answer. Is she injured or is it solely a lack of confidence? Both? Issues on the technique? All of that?? I think she needs to settle in with Buyanova, she lost a whole month of work. Maybe it will get better...

I know who he is. I just think it so funny ... to see and read statements like this one.
Because. no. he is not a coach. by any definition.
He is a school director. Manager... an adman... whoever also. But he is not a coach.
If you come in several times a month to the ice rink to film some videos. It does not make you a coach.

Well, whatever he is, he also works with Nastya, at least on the choreography and jumps (like 3Lz-3Lo). So even if he isn‘t the one doing the work, his school and his coaches there do a pretty good job. Some of the videos he shares I heavily dislike but they are not on the official Angels of Plushenko instagram page but rather the page of a (the smallest) family member. ;) No, seriously, it‘s a good way to promote a new skating school on social media for it to gain more attention. Yulia Lipnitskaya does the same with her school even though she seems to be coaching only smaller children.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
What Polina needs is actually pretty difficult to answer. Is she injured or is it solely a lack of confidence? Both? Issues on the technique? All of that?? I think she needs to settle in with Buyanova, she lost a whole month of work. Maybe it will get better...

Yesterday after Polina's FS, TAT said that Polina is a sensitive girl and can get discouraged easily

andromache

Record Breaker
I think Polina is one of those skaters who would be able to be a star if she could have the individualized attention of a coach dedicated to her, sort of like Ravi and Kaetlyn Osmond. If she had the luxury of being able to take her time healing, really working on fixing her URs and her confidence, all of her potential could be developed. But neither Eteri or Buyanova are the right coaches for what she needs, and given the state of competition in Russia, there's probably no where Polina could go to get the support she needs.

SkySkater

On the Ice
No, you are wrong. I find funny do you think a totally unknown coach Ksenia Ivanova teaches to Nastya that technic?? Plus if you watch Nastya she has moves those were teached by Plush.. Yes he had many shows, but he was on summer camp he worked with Nasty a lot. He is working there as a coach, too you can read this in Sotnikova's interview and we have a Russian fan who can go to the school, Irina she told us.

If he is not on show he is there every day. Totally sure. :)

Ksenia Ivanova isn't really a completely unknown coach just a little obscure considering that she worked in Kazan and is very young so most of her skaters are only at novice age. However, skaters she has coached/still coaches include Anfisa Ryabova (one of my favourite Russian novices with amazing skating skills though a bit inconsistent), Kamila Valieva before she moved to Moscow, Maximilan Ermolin who I think has been recorded on instagram landing a quad or a triple Axel though he has now swapped to Eteri, a boy who is I think is now under Mishin who is attempting quads in competition and my personal favourite Russian baby at the tender age of 5 Ilina Askarova who is now at Plushy's who came from Kazan (I think this is all correct but I may be wrong about some details as I am doing this from memory).

This all being said I agree that Plushy is a big influence on Nastya and her recovery (though I hope we can remove some of the movements he taught her in the short which no fourteen year old girl can pull off) but even he acknowledged Ksenia Ivanova. Plushy even credited her in an interview about Nastya and the quads so can we not ignore or demean her importance and capabilities especially considering that she is the one going to the JGP events not Plushy due to his priorities such as the Chinese show at the same time as JGP Canada.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think Polina is one of those skaters who would be able to be a star if she could have the individualized attention of a coach dedicated to her, sort of like Ravi and Kaetlyn Osmond. If she had the luxury of being able to take her time healing, really working on fixing her URs and her confidence, all of her potential could be developed. But neither Eteri or Buyanova are the right coaches for what she needs, and given the state of competition in Russia, there's probably no where Polina could go to get the support she needs.

I’d actually want her to go to Turenko. But she’d need to move to St. Petersburg

Fluture

Record Breaker
I’d actually want her to go to Turenko. But she’d need to move to St. Petersburg

Turenko is doing really well with Sima. She seems always really happy at competitions, posting pics with her. I think she's a great supportive coach who's really underrated. And St. Petersburg could need more good skaters, most of them are in Moscow. But changing cities is never an easy task and we don't know anything about Polina's family, whether they could afford it. And in the end if the move doesn't work out she'd need to change her whole life again. :think:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Ksenia Ivanova isn't really a completely unknown coach just a little obscure considering that she worked in Kazan and is very young so most of her skaters are only at novice age. However, skaters she has coached/still coaches include Anfisa Ryabova (one of my favourite Russian novices with amazing skating skills though a bit inconsistent), Kamila Valieva before she moved to Moscow, Maximilan Ermolin who I think has been recorded on instagram landing a quad or a triple Axel though he has now swapped to Eteri, a boy who is I think is now under Mishin who is attempting quads in competition and my personal favourite Russian baby at the tender age of 5 Ilina Askarova who is now at Plushy's who came from Kazan (I think this is all correct but I may be wrong about some details as I am doing this from memory).

This all being said I agree that Plushy is a big influence on Nastya and her recovery (though I hope we can remove some of the movements he taught her in the short which no fourteen year old girl can pull off) but even he acknowledged Ksenia Ivanova. Plushy even credited her in an interview about Nastya and the quads so can we not ignore or demean her importance and capabilities especially considering that she is the one going to the JGP events not Plushy due to his priorities such as the Chinese show at the same time as JGP Canada.

Thank you, it seems I'm not too informed in coaches. :hopelessness: I know Plush said she is a really talented young coach and thanked her the works with Nastya. Plush and Ksenia are the coaches of Nastya. If he wouldn't be her coach we don't read his name next to Nastya He doesn't need respect undeservedly that would be shame. Those persons who thinks that doesn't know him at all.:no: We can't read his name next to Volkov's pupils.

Yes, Ksenia was with Nastya in Canada, because Plush had shows in China. But we know about those shows 1-2 months earlier than Nastya arrived in the academy. A signed contract is very serious thing! He has learned it for many long years. But when he was at home he didn't go to Ljubljana, too he watched the cometition on Internet.

SkySkater

On the Ice
Thank you, it seems I'm not too informed in coaches. :hopelessness: I know Plush said she is a really talented young coach and thanked her the works with Nastya. Plush and Ksenia are the coaches of Nastya. If he wouldn't be her coach we don't read his name next to Nastya He doesn't need respect undeservedly that would be shame. Those persons who thinks that doesn't know him at all.:no: We can't read his name next to Volkov's pupils.

I mean his name is next to Volkov's on both Ekaterina Ryabova's and Kovalev's isu profile. That being said it is very clear I think based off of the angels of plushenko instagram that she is his priority out of all of the older skaters in his academy and he does seem to spend time coaching her and is invested in her career.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I mean his name is next to Volkov's on both Ekaterina Ryabova's and Kovalev's isu profile. That being said it is very clear I think based off of the angels of plushenko instagram that she is his priority out of all of the older skaters in his academy and he does seem to spend time coaching her and is invested in her career.

Plush worked with them, too in their jumps. We could see videos about it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoHXsP4AtNQ/?taken-by=_rina.r
And worked with Ryabova Rem, too https://www.instagram.com/p/BoJku-ugBBE/?taken-by=_rina.r

TGee

Record Breaker
Well, maybe Polina should go to Ravi Wallia.

He's forming a small group of Ladies starting this season. There is one from the US now.

There is one Russian from Yekaterinburg, but no elite level ones.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well, maybe Polina should go to Ravi Wallia.

He's forming a small group of Ladies starting this season. There is one from the US now.

There is one Russian from Yekaterinburg, but no elite level ones.

The main issue would be $$$. Its not like Polina is a top skater, so she doesnt have much prize money, show money and sponsorships. Rusfed will not pay for it either, jut the regular team salary, which is barely enough to live in moscow (according to several interviews of team members).
It is also very debatable that her family could afford that.

TGee

Record Breaker
The main issue would be $$$. Its not like Polina is a top skater, so she doesnt have much prize money, show money and sponsorships. Rusfed will not pay for it either, jut the regular team salary, which is barely enough to live in moscow (according to several interviews of team members).
It is also very debatable that her family could afford that.
Yes, cost is definitely an issue.

The cost of living is much lower in Edmonton than Toronto and perhaps Moscow, but travel and training costs could be prohibitive.

I have been assuming that the regional skater who arrived in June is supported by her family...

moriel

Record Breaker
Yes, cost is definitely an issue.

The cost of living is much lower in Edmonton than Toronto and perhaps Moscow, but travel and training costs could be prohibitive.

I have been assuming that the regional skater who arrived in June is supported by her family...

Cost of living, lower?
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/moscow/edmonton
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...a&country2=Canada&city1=Moscow&city2=Edmonton

Outside that, there are also training costs, which are much higher than in russia, where most of it is state funded.

neusw

On the Ice
A lot of what gets lost in discussion of coaching options for various skaters is the entire life upheaval involved. These are mainly young ladies in their teens/early 20s. Coaches are not interchangeable entities where everything else would remain as is. This goes beyond issues of cost or whether you are a top skater with amazing potential.

Would any of us in our current professions be willing to move from, for example, the US to go work in Moscow when we were 16-20 just for the possibility of faster promotions/increased career opportunities, especially when there are similar jobs available in the US? I for sure would not, and I think only the rare bird would be excited enough about the opportunity to go through the great hassle of making that transition. Of course, an athletic career is shorter, more intense, and you must seize opportunities where you can, but at the end of the day, skating can be considered a job--it is not the end all be all of life.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I mean, yep, some russian families are rich enough to support a kid training overseas.
But most, and i mean MOST, cannot afford living outside russia. Look at the average russian incomes: https://blogs.elenasmodels.com/en/average-monthly-income-russia-wages-rosstat/
Then, remember that FS in Russia is state funded, and training on any level is much cheaper than in USA/Canada.

I don‘t think skating abroad is even a serious option for Polina. I mean, training abroad doesn‘t only require to move country, part of the family has to move as well, maybe even giving up the job as a result. (I always wondered about that: How did Zhenya‘s mom do that? Is she working in Toronto or has she gone back to Russia?) There‘s also a language barrier and most skaters I have seen so far don‘t speak English well and neither do their families. I know Zhenya said in an interview her mom can‘t really speak English. So how are you going to do that as a non-top skater without real support from the fed? Even as a rich family it involves a lot of struggles and problems to consider even though the main point - money - isn‘t an issue for them. Evgenia‘s situation was highly unique and I don‘t think the fed would allow it for just everyone - probably only top skaters which Polina sadly isn‘t.