2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 515 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Moscow seems to be very much like São Paulo. There are other large cities, but none as large as Moscow/São Paulo. I suppose that makes coaches to choose Moscow because of the amount of young skaters? I would very much like to see skating in Russia expand from Moscow/St Petersburg, just like I'm sick of everything being in São Paulo/Rio.

Yeah Moscow is one of the biggest cities in the world, it's huge and i think part of it is because Russia intentionally decided to invest on Moscow and SPB more than any other city in Russia, so there are better services, the average salary is higher,... It's way too centralised in my opinion. (in fact things like traffic in Moscow are a mess)

Plus in figure skating there is also the fact that the federation is based in Moscow, which some thinks it's the reason why Moscow skaters tend to receive bigger scores.

It's a bit of a shame cause Russia is such a big country, i'd love to see a skater from Vladivostok for example.

why is gulyakova not comepeting in any international competitions so far (juniors or seniors)?

If all goes well, she will next season in seniors, but it depends on her result at nationals.

I wonder if Mishin will push her to attempt the 3A in competition.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
She might try it at nationals, maybe. Samodurova also. Or not since it's high risk if it goes wrong.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Yep, exactly that. This is where "Moscow is expensive" comes from. Yep, moscow is expensive when you make 30 or 60 or even 90k rubles.
But 90k rubles, quite a good salary in Russia, is 1400 dollares / month, which is just a little bit above a full time minimum wage job at US. Moscow is expensive for russians, but not for western people.

Moscow is not expensive for healthy people having their own housing and not having kids. Then 90k rubles which is actually much higher than what workers/teachers/low level civil servants make per month may suffice.

The rent of 1 bedroom decent apartment costs 50k rubles, studio can be found for 30k. Real challenges start when you need medical support and you don't have a corporate health insurance. Then it will be either very basic stuff or waiting in line to get into quota or quite substantial money. If you want Western level of service you will have to go to EMC where just a visit to a general practitioner costs 150 euros.

Kids....well it's a separate topic. Segregation is enormous. Private places can cost several average monthly salaries. Regular places....I do not want my kids to be there.

moriel

Record Breaker
Moscow is not expensive for healthy people having their own housing and not having kids. Then 90k rubles which is actually much higher than what workers/teachers/low level civil servants make per month may suffice.

The rent of 1 bedroom decent apartment costs 50k rubles, studio can be found for 30k. Real challenges start when you need medical support and you don't have a corporate health insurance. Then it will be either very basic stuff or waiting in line to get into quota or quite substantial money. If you want Western level of service you will have to go to EMC where just a visit to a general practitioner costs 150 euros.

Kids....well it's a separate topic. Segregation is enormous. Private places can cost several average monthly salaries. Regular places....I do not want my kids to be there.

Thats a rather interesting view... I dunno, all of my young relatives study at regular places, and the quality is very high.
(of course, regular places include stuff like F.M.Sh.)

TGee

Record Breaker

Thanks samkrut!

This aligns better with my recollection of expenses in Moscow, even accounting for the changes in the currency exchange rate.

This diversion got started because I courageously suggested that living costs for a skater could be lower in Edmonton than in Moscow.

And your report makes it seem like it's true. Median rent for a 1 bedroom unfurnished apartment is currently $Cdn 560 a month, or about 25,000 rubles. Private health coverage for long term visitors to Alberta under 4 years runs $Cnd 95 to 125 a month, or between 6 to 7k roubles.

Big costs would come from training costs (ice and coaching), and from schooling if needed.

International students pay tuition for public high school (including programs to learn English) and higher tuition for post-secondary. (Public schools and universities are high quality and attract many international students.)

So, really it's only viable if the Federation , the skater's family or a private sponsor could/would cover the training and education costs.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks samkrut!

This aligns better with my recollection of expenses in Moscow, even accounting for the changes in the currency exchange rate.

This diversion got started because I courageously suggested that living costs for a skater could be lower in Edmonton than in Moscow.

And your report makes it seem like it's true. Median rent for a 1 bedroom unfurnished apartment is currently $Cdn 560 a month, or about 25,000 rubles. Private health coverage for long term visitors to Alberta under 4 years runs $Cnd 95 to 125 a month, or between 6 to 7k roubles.

Big costs would come from training costs (ice and coaching), and from schooling if needed.

International students pay tuition for public high school (including programs to learn English) and higher tuition for post-secondary. (Public schools and universities are high quality and attract many international students.)

So, really it's only viable if the Federation , the skater's family or a private sponsor could/would cover the training and education costs.

Is the health insurance cost correct for Canada? U.S. Is about 4 times higher.

TGee

Record Breaker

vorravorra

Record Breaker

As if there is one "Western level of service" and it's uniformly great everywhere. And you can find a one-bedroom in Moscow for under 30,000.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
As if there is one "Western level of service" and it's uniformly great everywhere. And you can find a one-bedroom in Moscow for under 30,000.

I said decent and also 1 bedroom apartment is what is called "двухкомнатная квартира" in Russian. You cannot rent a decent двухкомнатная квартира for under 30,000 believe me. I have my wife's sister and my step mother whom I was trying to rent an apartment and I know the current prices quite well.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Nope, однокомнатная = studio. 1 bedroom means there is a dedicated спальня.
No, studio is where everything is in one room. "One-room apartment" in Russia always has a separate kitchen. "Studio" is "квартира-студия".
And a Russian kitchen can easily be big enough to serve as a lounge if one so wishes, although not so often in one-room apartments. Even if it's not a lounge it's still a dining room.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
No, studio is where everything is in one room. "One-room apartment" in Russia always has a separate kitchen. "Studio" is "квартира-студия".
And a Russian kitchen can easily be big enough to serve as a lounge if one so wishes, although not so often in one-room apartments. Even if it's not a lounge it's still a dining room.

We could ask our US friends about definitions. When I lived in America 1-bedroom apartment meant there was 1 bedroom and 1 living room. 6-8 sq.m. kitchens in Russian однокомнатная квартира which are rented below 30 k roubles have nothing to do with living rooms....I from my side am finishing this offtop.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We could ask our US friends about definitions. When I lived in America 1-bedroom apartment meant there was 1 bedroom and 1 living room. 6-8 sq.m. kitchens in Russian однокомнатная квартира which are rented below 30 k roubles have nothing to do with living rooms....I from my side am finishing this offtop.

In U.S. studio is one large room usually with a kitchenette and separate bathroom.
One bedroom - separate bathroom and bedroom. The Living room is separate from the kitchen. Sometimes the dining area is in the kitchen, or the living room.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
In U.S. studio is one large room usually with a kitchenette and separate bathroom.
One bedroom - separate bathroom and bedroom. The Living room is separate from the kitchen. Sometimes the dining area is in the kitchen, or the living room.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
One-bedroom apartments do not only exist in the US, and they normally have a living room, it's true. But one-room apartment is still not a studio. It doesn't matter how big the kitchen is. There are studios in Russia too but they are not common, although studios are normally cheaper. Combining a kitchen with a living room in an apartment of any size is not a Russian tradition and though it exists now it is not popular since it means having one less room in the apartment.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
One-bedroom apartments do not only exist in the US, and they normally have a living room, it's true. But one-room apartment is still not a studio. It doesn't matter how big the kitchen is. There are studios in Russia too but they are not common, although studios are normally cheaper. Combining a kitchen with a living room in an apartment of any size is not a Russian tradition and though it exists now it is not popular since it means having one less room in the apartment.

Well, when I said that decent 1-bedroom apartments in Moscow rent for at least 50 k rubles I meant 2 room apartments (living room + bed room + kitchen) in Russian sense. Let's finish on this.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Is the kitchen in the US always a separate room? Because I have seen plenty of open-plan layouts.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is the kitchen in the US always a separate room? Because I have seen plenty of open-plan layouts.

Older apartments tend to be separate. But the new trend is the so called great room that has the kitchen, dining and living room all in one. My townhouse condominium was built in 1987 and the kitchen, dining and living room are all large separate rooms; and I like it better.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Well, when I said that decent 1-bedroom apartments in Moscow rent for at least 50 k rubles I meant 2 room apartments (living room + bed room + kitchen) in Russian sense. Let's finish on this.
I think it's easier to refer to them as one-room/two-room/three room etc. apartments because a two-room apartment with two fully separate rooms and a one-bedroom apartment where the lounge is usually a walk-through room is not quite the same thing. Of course it all differs by the country, in New Zealand I can't remember any places where the lounge is a fully separate room with a door and I can only think of a couple of places with a non-open-plan kitchen where you can eat, while in Russia the latter is the norm. Americans in general tend to have larger living quarters so maybe it's more common there. Bedrooms plus a large separate kitchen with no lounge as such is something I came across a few times in Germany. There doesn't seem to be a point in referring to a three rooms plus a kitchen layout as a two-bedroom when it actually has three bedrooms.