2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 573 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Lightstar

On the Ice
That's what I meant, isn't that what happened with the Russian ice dancers now representing Georgia?

If I was Serafima for instance, and I want my Olympic hopes to come true, I'd just go to Azerbaijan. I know everyone will disagree with me and say "but you have no ties to that country/it's not right, blah blah" but honestly, if I'm an athlete with a dream and I know I can't make it happen in my home country because of politics, too many talented skaters, lack of funding, I'd just swap nationalities.

But what about the skaters from this country who have a dream of going to the olympics?

DenissVFan

Medalist
But what about the skaters from this country who have a dream of going to the olympics?

It's often the case that the native skater can't qualify for the Olympics, even if they have the minimum TES, because there are limited spots for the Olympics. When it comes to Poland, the reigning champion didn't make it to the Olympics or Worlds. The way things stand right now, the only way for a Polish female skater born in Poland to go to the Olympics is if Kurakova managed to get two spots.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Why did she leave Plush and switched to Gubanova's former coach?

Serafima has talked before about how hard it is for her to be apart from her family (who all live in St. Petersburg - where Turenko is) and I know her family has had difficulty in the past sustaining living in two cities (because I'd imagine it's quite hard to do). She hasn't said her reasons for this switch afaik, but I would think that some of it has to do with this. Plus, Turenko is actually a really good coach, imo. One of, if not the best, in St. Petersburg. At this point Mishin students are doing a bit better, but it wasn't always that way.

halulupu

Final Flight
buyanova talking about her girls and the transistions from junior to senior: https://fs-gossips.com/elena-buyanova-radionova-can-no-longer-endure-pain-its-very-hard-for-her-now/

interestingly, she thinks zagitova is not done with puberty just yet and she is more or less (not literally) announcing the end of the competitive career of radionova.

Were there any precedents like Zagitova, when a person wins at the Olympics, grows up physically and does not slow down in the level of skating?

– Well, in fact Alina hasn’t start to grow yet. Everything is still ahead for her. But this does not detract from her merits, she performs well. In my opinion, there is even more merit of coaches.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
buyanova talking about her girls and the transistions from junior to senior: https://fs-gossips.com/elena-buyanova-radionova-can-no-longer-endure-pain-its-very-hard-for-her-now/

interestingly, she thinks zagitova is not done with puberty just yet and she is more or less (not literally) announcing the end of the competitive career of radionova.

Were there any precedents like Zagitova, when a person wins at the Olympics, grows up physically and does not slow down in the level of skating?

– Well, in fact Alina hasn’t start to grow yet. Everything is still ahead for her. But this does not detract from her merits, she performs well. In my opinion, there is even more merit of coaches.

That's possible for Alina. A lot of time girls have a growth spurt in terms of growing taller and then they have another growth period where their bodies fill out somewhat. Alina has definitely sprouted up over the past few months. She looks much taller and longer than she used to. Whether or not she fills out remains to be seen. With some skaters the difference is very slight and, especially for those with strong technique, doesn't affect them for too long. For others it's a bit more noticeable and wreaks havoc on their skating. I would agree Alina isn't out of the puberty woods yet.

If Elena is done competing I will truly miss her. I just love her personality on the ice and the way she performs. I'd imagine she'd be a highly requested skater for all of the different skating tours/shows Russia has. I guess we'll just wait on something official...but I really do miss her this season.:sad4:

serephy

On the Ice
I wanted to hold off on commenting about this here because I was waiting for proof but it looks like Alina is now (officially) planning on learning a 4+3 combo - according to Daniil.

Interview here https://mobile.twitter.com/mmelaniepadilla/status/1063440291280142338

He says they are trying (currently on harness) a quad lutz and a quad loop! Honestly she’s such a brave/ambitious skater, if she wanted she could rest on her laurels and focusing just on maintaining her jumps through puberty but she always wants to improve herself/learn new combos. This year she brought back the 3Lz+3T ... next year hopefully a quad.

neusw

On the Ice
I wanted to hold off on commenting about this here because I was waiting for proof but it looks like Alina is now (officially) planning on learning a 4+3 combo - according to Daniil.

Interview here https://mobile.twitter.com/mmelaniepadilla/status/1063440291280142338

He says they are trying (currently on harness) a quad lutz and a quad loop! Honestly she’s such a brave/ambitious skater, if she wanted she could rest on her laurels and focusing just on maintaining her jumps through puberty but she always wants to improve herself/learn new combos. This year she brought back the 3Lz+3T ... next year hopefully a quad.

Now that you mention it, it makes so much sense why she brought back the 3lz-3t combo this year instead of putting the 3t anywhere else. Probably prepping for a drastic layout change next year with quads.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

I am so happy to hear that. Shows how determined Alina is! She does not just give ip when the Quad A's are entering senior. She wants to keep up with that. Evgenia also wants to learn a 4S. Eteri's former and current girls sure have some strong will power 😊

IceBallerina

On the Ice
“Alina’s jumps are falling apart” “She can’t handle pressure”

Alina, congratulations on your world record. I wish you another one tomorrow :)

Sofia could grab silver here, and Polina… I am not sure but the free skate will sure be interesting. Good luck to all the ladies!

starla16

Medalist
Medvedeva is in trouble, she is the 3rd russian option now and Sofia could end up going to Worlds and Euros
with Medvedeva getting called on her flutzes now, also next year will be even worst with Trusova, Kostornaia, Tarakanova and Scherbakova (though the latter prerotates quad and a flutzer)

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Medvedeva is in trouble, she is the 3rd russian option now and Sofia could end up going to Worlds and Euros
with Medvedeva getting called on her flutzes now, also next year will be even worst with Trusova, Kostornaia, Tarakanova and Scherbakova (though the latter prerotates quad and a flutzer)

Jesus let's not start this conversation again. Let's at least wait until France, the GPF (if she makes it) and Nationals before saying Sofia is taking her spot.

Also there's no need to talk about Zhenya right now, not when we just had 3 other Russian ladies skate and we can discuss that.

starla16

Medalist
Gotta give Mishin kudos, his ladies are doing well while the men, he has no top male skaters now anyways just can't even be called mediocre.
What a shift from mens coach expert to ladies coach with Tuk and Samodurova.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight

Yes!!! I’m so glad to hear this. I thought she might consider retiring after this season if she wins worlds but this shows she’s a fighter.

I actually think she has the athletic ability and body type (if she doesn’t grow anymore) to be able to sustain quads. But was worried if she hadn’t started training for them she might never be able to. I suspect that she might even have more success with quads than someone like Anna who I think will have difficulty when she hits puberty. But maybe not. Just excited for Alina!

starla16

Medalist
Zagitova is athletic in build like Trusova, while she may not be as petite as Trusova (see Trusova's family for reference), she has enough power on her lutz.

But I think its difficult for ladies to learn quads when starting too late, all these ladies with difficult jumps namely: Trusova, Kihira, Tuk, Ando, Asada, Scherbakova had them since being juniors. But then there is Mirai who jumped triple axel only in her late senior career, she has a more round body type and big legs for axel jump. Kostornaia also has short built with round powerful legs could jump triple axel in competition.

neusw

On the Ice
Zagitova is athletic in build like Trusova, while she may not be as petite as Trusova (see Trusova's family for reference), she has enough power on her lutz.

But I think its difficult for ladies to learn quads when starting too late, all these ladies with difficult jumps namely: Trusova, Kihira, Tuk, Ando, Asada, Scherbakova had them since being juniors. But then there is Mirai who jumped triple axel only in her late senior career, she has a more round body type and big legs for axel jump. Kostornaia also has short built with round powerful legs could jump triple axel in competition.

Without a doubt it will be difficult, but it's a great sign that she is learning them at all. It means she still has goals she is striving for, and her coaching team still supports her further development in the sport. I can see her going for the full quad if she is working on these technical skills. Next year would be a great time to trial-run quads in her program--the quadsters will be competing in seniors, so Alina will have less pressure/expectation to always be perfect and win every competition. Instead, she has the necessary room for failure to test out new tech content.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Honestly, I have some great difficulty with having faith in Zagitova being able to jump quads. She can't Lutz like Trusova where she begins rotating immediately, so Shcherbakova would have to be the benchmark. And not only does Shcherbakova jump far higher than I've seen Zagitova jump, Shcherbakova also has the fastest rotation speed which Zagitova just has never demonstrated. Either Zagitova has some untapped reserves we've not even come close to seeing or ... The chances are low. I'll believe it when I see a decent attempt, I guess. Until then... Probably not even worth consideration. It just takes too much.

neusw

On the Ice
Honestly, I have some great difficulty with having faith in Zagitova being able to jump quads. She can't Lutz like Trusova where she begins rotating immediately, so Shcherbakova would have to be the benchmark. And not only does Shcherbakova jump far higher than I've seen Zagitova jump, Shcherbakova also has the fastest rotation speed which Zagitova just has never demonstrated. Either Zagitova has some untapped reserves we've not even come close to seeing or ... The chances are low. I'll believe it when I see a decent attempt, I guess. Until then... Probably not even worth consideration. It just takes too much.

Well maybe we haven't seen her full abilities regarding jump height. No one who has only seen Shcherbakova jumping triples would dream that she has that much jump height in reserve.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
“Alina’s jumps are falling apart” “She can’t handle pressure”

Alina, congratulations on your world record. I wish you another one tomorrow :)

Sofia could grab silver here, and Polina… I am not sure but the free skate will sure be interesting. Good luck to all the ladies!

Well my only prediction was that all Buyanova skaters would have faced a terrible season because they all looked completely out of shape and i was right.

If you look at Polina's jumps at NHK last season, they were all much higher than now, and that's why the delay in the rotation was actually a bonus, now it's just making her jumps more underrotated.

Spins are also slower this season.