2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 580 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

lavoix

Match Penalty
Zhenya will definitely need time, and honestly, regardless of what she does in France, to me personally, I don't see how it matters too much right now. If she does great and gets to the final, well done, if not, then hey she knows she needs to work harder between now and nationals.

She is still clearly Russia's number 3 and I wouldn't be too worried about her performances at this moment in time. Closer to nationals, yes, I'd be telling myself to get my things in order.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
This girl habitually denies the laws of physics and I love her for it.

Hasn't she already done an off ice triple axel? I'm betting will see it on ice at junior worlds.

Also, I looked at some of the other instagram pics with her long hair and am now curious about how much it weighs. I mean, I think cutting it off would make her a pound or two lighter for her jumps. Or maybe she's like Samson and that's where her power comes from? :laugh:

tokoyami

On the Ice
YUNA: lowest score the year before moving to orser: 168. lowest score the year after: 180
Hanyu: lowest score the year before: 226. Lowest score after 243.
Fernandez: lowest score the year before: 184. Lowest score the year after: 204

Exactly, in which of the examples I stated their lower score after moving to Orser are lower than what they had before?

If we compare lowest scores, you don't really need to wait for the season to end, unless you expect Zhenya to bomb even harder than she already did.

well, something to think about, and im sorry for being off topic, is that in Hanyu's case he only surpassed his 2011/2012 SB once in the whole season afterwards and that was at JNats, so he actually never surpassed his PB internationally. You should also consider his first year with Brian he was a Worlds medalist and was starting to be scored likewise in the PCS department. And regardless, ss someone said before, Hanyu and Medvedeva are in completely different areas of their career so to compare these situations is like comparing apples and oranges and it is starting to paint you in a bad color. Seriously, can you go one day without bringing Evgenia up? Yikes

moriel

Record Breaker
well, something to think about, and im sorry for being off topic, is that in Hanyu's case he only surpassed his 2011/2012 SB once in the whole season afterwards and that was at JNats, so he actually never surpassed his PB internationally. You should also consider his first year with Brian he was a Worlds medalist and was starting to be scored likewise in the PCS department. And regardless, ss someone said before, Hanyu and Medvedeva are in completely different areas of their career so to compare these situations is like comparing apples and oranges and it is starting to paint you in a bad color. Seriously, can you go one day without bringing Evgenia up? Yikes

That is a great argument, except for one thing. Whenever I say Orser was a bad choice for Zhenya, people bring Yuna, Hanyu and Javi as examples of why Orser is great. You can find tons of posts about it.
But every word you said is wrong. Hanyu's SB in 2011-12 is 251 (worlds). In 2012-13, he scored 261 at NHK and 264 at GPF.
Also, I looked at actual results and protocols, Hanyu's TES also raised, not just "he got higher PCs because he has a medal now".
Zhenya just won 2 Olympic silver medals. If one expects Hanyu to be scored higher because he won a bronze at Worlds, one would also expect Zhenya's scores to remain high after winning a silver medal at Olympics. Not to drastically drop.

Just a bit on how PCs scores behave after the Olympic games.

PCs of the top ladies at Olympics
Zagitova: 37.62 + 75.03 = 112.65
Medvedeva: 38.42 + 77.47 = 115.89
Miyahara: 35.69 + 71.24 = 106.93
Sakamoto: 32.82 + 68.11 = 100.93

PCs of those very same ladies this year:
Zagitova: 111.36 (Nebelhorn), 107.88 (Helsinki), 110.74 (Rostelecom) >> Average: 109.99 Variation: -2.66
Medvedeva: 103.48 (ACI), 104.89 (Canada) >> Average: 104,18 Variation: -11.71
Miyahara: 103.16 (US Classic), 105.29 (SA), 107.25 (NHK) >> Average: 105.23 Variation: -1.70
Sakamoto: 94.52 (Lombardia), 99.53 (Helsinki), 100.57 (SA) >> Average: 98.21 Variation: -2,72

So I keep asking my question here. Why Zhenya's results dropped so drastically? When other top skaters moved to Orser, their results improved. Zhenya is not the only injured one - Miyahara had a stress fracture back in 2016, for example, and came back performing on top level. Let's not even talk about the abovementioned Hanyu. The top ladies, except for Zhenya, retained their PCs from Olympics, basically (despite not always being clean - see Alina and Kaori). Then, people come here and tell us how much Zhenya's skating skills and performance abilities improved, so one would expect her to get better PCs, right?

PS: I did not start this discussion - if you read the thread, of course. Accusing whoever dares to be critical and bring OBJECTIVE information into discussion paints you in a bad color.

katymay

Medalist
Is Sasha still practicing her 3a flex?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqWy6aXB4_S/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1f1ga5tuzp4df

I honestly can’t tell if it’s a double or triple it’s so fast :laugh2:

She is so funny. I've seen clips where the rest of the skaters are supposed to be stretching, Sasha is always jumping. In the warm up before she skates, I've never seen her do footwork or spins. Jumps Jumps Jumps. I've seen her do better floor 3A's, not sure why this isn't getting around, but knowing her she will do 1,000 of them until its around.

Zhenya just won 2 Olympic silver medals. If one expects Hanyu to be scored higher because he won a bronze at Worlds, one would also expect Zhenya's scores to remain high after winning a silver medal at Olympics. Not to drastically drop.

Just completely staying out of this (Med to Orser move's disadvantages) discussion in general, the reasons for Med's PCS drop are:

1. Programs she's clearly not comfortable with
2. Falls
3. Not world no. 1 anymore
4. Clear focus on technique and not performance. Notice how her projection has clearly dropped as she focuses more on getting the vault on her jumps

moriel

Record Breaker
Hasn't she already done an off ice triple axel? I'm betting will see it on ice at junior worlds.

Also, I looked at some of the other instagram pics with her long hair and am now curious about how much it weighs. I mean, I think cutting it off would make her a pound or two lighter for her jumps. Or maybe she's like Samson and that's where her power comes from? :laugh:

Actually, that hair likely doesn't weight much.
Her hair, from pictures, seems to be very thin. You can see it also when she puts it up - the bun is not that HUGE
Compare this https://goldenskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Alexandra-Trusova.jpg
with Zagitova's bun: https://cdni.rt.com/russian/images/2018.11/article/5bf05dde183561e75f8b4595.jpg (and zagitova's hair is much shorter)

So actually I don't think its enough of weight to be worth cutting it if she likes long hair. As a teen, i had a hair of similar length and visually of similar structure - when I cut it short (very short), it weighted around a pound. But again, the cut was VERY short, there was not enough length for a ponytail.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
PS: I did not start this discussion - if you read the thread, of course. Accusing whoever dares to be critical and bring OBJECTIVE information into discussion paints you in a bad color.

I posted something respectful towards both Evgenia and Alina, but you seemed so offended that I dared to write something remotely positive about Evgenia as I am apparently not allowed to have a different opinion or view on her current situation.

PS, Yuzuru didn’t even medal at worlds the season he first went to Orser. Yuna got a bunch of bronze medals before winning gold, which we know she was always capable of. Something to think about. A bunch of numbers without taking anything else into account could only mean so much.

ANYWAY, I made a mistake by coming back here, this thread is as toxic as ever, so I guess I’m out.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I posted something respectful towards both Evgenia and Alina, but you seemed so offended that I dared to write something remotely positive about Evgenia as I am apparently not allowed to have a different opinion or view on her current situation.

PS, Yuzuru didnÂ’t even medal at worlds the season he first went to Orser. Yuna got a bunch of bronze medals before winning gold, which we know she was always capable of. Something to think about. A bunch of numbers without taking anything else into account could only mean so much.

ANYWAY, I made a mistake by coming back here, this thread is as toxic as ever, so I guess IÂ’m out.

You can only this thread if you

A) “strongly dislike“ either Zhenya or Orser
B) have seen too much already to really care and only give a weak chuckle at the accusations of some people
C) which is part of B) basically: ignore the talk/bashing about Zhenya altogehter and focus on the other Russian skaters instead.

So, in short: Don‘t bother. :laugh: ;) Zhenya could throw down a skate of 160 points and it would still be “Okay, she did really well here admittedly BUT Orser is still the wrong coach because XY“ I’m not even too fond of Brian or his “three flutzes and missed spin levels rule!!“ strategy but this talk in here is getting ridiculous.

sk8r4ever

On the Ice
Actually, that hair likely doesn't weight much.
Her hair, from pictures, seems to be very thin. You can see it also when she puts it up - the bun is not that HUGE
Compare this https://goldenskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Alexandra-Trusova.jpg
with Zagitova's bun: https://cdni.rt.com/russian/images/2018.11/article/5bf05dde183561e75f8b4595.jpg (and zagitova's hair is much shorter)

So actually I don't think its enough of weight to be worth cutting it if she likes long hair. As a teen, i had a hair of similar length and visually of similar structure - when I cut it short (very short), it weighted around a pound. But again, the cut was VERY short, there was not enough length for a ponytail.

I think Zagitova uses a bun donut or something like that because it sometimes peeks out of the bun as Zagitova’s hair is quite thin.

freeman21

On the Ice
Rewatched Alina's SP at Rostelecom after also seeing it live. Yeah the music cuts are bad, but I honestly don't get how people can complain about her performance or the overall program quality... it was actually sooo good.

Sure, I liked Sofia's program more because it had a better "fun factor", but I can't deny that Alina is way ahead of the competition right now.