2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 582 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Wheelz

On the Ice
They are surely yet to come ~200 is a terrible score for a skater of her caliber.

Even if she does not return to her previous heights she should be able to get results at about Satoko/Liza's level this season... l will be watching IDF :)

IDF: nobody is counting on Konstantinova? I liked her in Helsinki and thought she got hit pretty bad with the PCS and could get more... but maybe they will take a closer look at her jump landings in France.

Brian Orser himself that it takes about 18 months for his training method to come together. Zhenya has been with him for a little over 5 months. Give them time. Rome wasn’t built in a day (or 5 months).

moriel

Record Breaker
Konstantinova is wildly inconsistent. Not even that, she is consistent at messing up.
Her skate at Helsinki was basically the cleanest she ever skated in ages. She is like Misha Kolyada, has some goods but always makes mistakes.

Of course, people are not entirely convinced.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Konstantinova is wildly inconsistent. Not even that, she is consistent at messing up.
Her skate at Helsinki was basically the cleanest she ever skated in ages. She is like Misha Kolyada, has some goods but always makes mistakes.

The thing is Konstantinova was not even clean in Helsinki. She had several URs which were not called. Her getting a medal at IdF is impossible imo unless the judges ignore her mistakes once again

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Brian Orser himself that it takes about 18 months for his training method to come together. Zhenya has been with him for a little over 5 months. Give them time. Rome wasn’t built in a day (or 5 months).

The irony is that she did not need his training method per se. The only major flaw that she had and has is lutz edge. If he fixes it and not worsen anything else he is a magician. It takes 18 months to fix the lutz edge? Well, let's wait and see.

I bet on Medvedeva's winning France. And if she does I shall attribute it to her will and dedication - not to some training methods that have not been helping any of his lady students recently, 18 months or not 18 months.

jhcorb01

Rinkside
The irony is that she did not need his training method per se. The only major flaw that she had and has is lutz edge. If he fixes it and not worsen anything else he is a magician. It takes 18 months to fix the lutz edge? Well, let's wait and see.

I bet on Medvedeva's winning France. And if she does I shall attribute it to her will and dedication - not to some training methods that have not been helping any of his lady students recently, 18 months or not 18 months.

And yet her axel is the best it's ever been, and her toe pick is clearly so much more soft and technically correct.

I think people underestimate how seriously injured she was after the Olympics, regarding her back and foot. She isn't doing a layback spin (still) for a reason.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
She was injured after the Olympics? I had the impression it was the lingering injury she got before the Olympics. Everything after the Olympics is such a blur to me.
Evgenia's problem was both luz and 2A. 2A is the jump she fell on more than once in competition, but she was doing tano and hard entry with it. I believe if Eteri gives her more time to work on her 2A, it can be improved with her too. Not sure about the luz though, and even with Oser.

Is there any precedent of a senior lady corrected her luz edge? Mao tried very hard but with limited success. I just want to know how humanly possible it is to a correct luz edge after so many years of skating.

And yet her axel is the best it's ever been, and her toe pick is clearly so much more soft and technically correct.

I think people underestimate how seriously injured she was after the Olympics, regarding her back and foot. She isn't doing a layback spin (still) for a reason.

MalAssada

Medalist
Regarding the Medevedeva as Cersei image, that's very likely because of the Maggie the Frog's prophecy, which says: "Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear."

It was only briefly mentioned on the show, but in the books Cersei is always paranoid about who will be the queen. It's one of the motives she treated Sansa, then Margaery, so badly.

If you allow me to rewrite it a little...

A young Zhenya is granted three questions about the future from Tat, the Witch.
"Will I ever make it big?"
"Yes. Through miming and faces, you will win scores and love from the judging panel."
"Will I be world champion?" she asked, next.
"Yes. Three times you shall see the view from the top."
"...will I be the queen of figure skating?"
And Tat, the Witch chuckled. "Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more talented, to cast you down and take all the titles. Gold shall be her medals and gold shall line her pockets," she said. "And when you both skate on Olympics ice, she will wrap her legs in a 3Lz-Lo and snag the highest prize from your waiting hands."

...too much?

Wheelz

On the Ice

I agree about the injuries. It’s obvious that the back injury was serious & it’s something she’s still dealing with. I think that’s why Orser is focusing a lot on Zhenya’s physical condition to cut down on the risk of merit injuries.

I also think Eteri’s jumping technique wasn’t working for her any more and was damaging her body.

jhcorb01

Rinkside
I agree about the injuries. It’s obvious that the back injury was serious & it’s something she’s still dealing with. I think that’s why Orser is focusing a lot on Zhenya’s physical condition to cut down on the risk of merit injuries.

I also think Eteri’s jumping technique wasn’t working for her any more and was damaging her body.

Agreed on all counts. If I remember correctly, in Meagan Duhamel's interview with TSL, she mentioned how difficult it was for Zhenya to even skate basically without pain in their shows they did together this year. That is not good.

malya

On the Ice

I did not follow The Drama (tm) much, but I watched her at SC and she lost so many points on a 'random easy things' like spins, stsq that she always got before. She was still able to hit her two backloaded 3-3s consistently in the FS so I don't think she is sick, injured or regressing terribly, and even with her emptier/easier programs this season to adjust to a new team she should not be around 200pts. Like Samodurova, Konstantinova,...

A fall or a pop here and there can happen to the best, but I think they did work to fix the easy things (clearly not the lutz edge!) and she can be level with Satoko/Liza.

PS: Daniil looks good with long hair!

Btw I think Javi fixed his lutz edge. It always looked correct in the last competitions I saw him, but he never had that deep of an inside edge. No lady, but the right coach =)

skatenewbie

Medalist
Is there any precedent of a senior lady corrected her luz edge? Mao tried very hard but with limited success. I just want to know how humanly possible it is to a correct luz edge after so many years of skating.

Its been mentioned few times before, Courtney Hicks fixed her flutz. She even posted it on instagram here

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdWV0LOBJXN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1w0jcbhq2hjb4

people were tagging Medvedeva and she eventually commented asking Courtney to teach her and people went crazy

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Btw I think Javi fixed his lutz edge. It always looked correct in the last competitions I saw him, but he never had that deep of an inside edge. No lady, but the right coach =)

Javi’s Lutz was a strange beast. The men seem to more prone to lipping than flutzing... someone always has to be the exception. [emoji23] Granted, Jack had a lot of technique issues that were the result of early coaching — not placing blame, just trying to point out that the first coach a skater has is the one with the most influence, and trying to relearn how to do something “correctly” when you were taught to do it incorrectly for years is a nightmare.

I’d say there’s a difference between fixing a flutz to a shallow outside edge at the moment of takeoff and fixing a flutz into a true Lutz (actual counter-rotation, not just “clears the edge check at moment of takeoff”), but I’m probably out alone on that ledge.

Klarnet

On the Ice

I didn't follow Konstantinova close before,but she seems pretty consistent this season,at least as consistent as any other skater can be,nothing wild - only one fall for 3 events (2 challengers and Grand prix Helsinki) and couple of singled and doubled jumps,mostly her major problems are underrotations and unclear edge,and also she seems to have problem with 3F.

karina17

Final Flight
Sasha is so determined to get her jumps right. Today during the Sambo-70 exhibition, she did Kill Bill and missed the combo on her 3Lz-3Lo, and after her program ended, she just would not leave the ice till she managed to land a 3Lz-3Lo. Alina (performing right after) was warming up and Sasha was just there attempting 3Lz-3Lo after 3Lz-3Lo. After another fall (or maybe two? I’m not sure because the camera was on Alina), she landed a perfect one and the audience cheered very loud for her, and that was when Sasha finally left the ice. :laugh: