2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 956 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Hats off to RusFed. I was wrong about them, I admit. They knew their stuff when they pushed Medvedeva for Worlds team.

She is such a fighter. I am in awe. Alina too. They were beneficiaries of some unfortunate mistakes by the Japanese ladies, but nonetheless they were right there to make the most of it.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
The crazy thing is that it's not out of the realm of possibility that this could be the last time we see Alina and Zhenya in Worlds, even with three spots secured for Russia next year. I'm not saying they won't be back, but it's not inconceivable, for example, that Sasha, Anna, and Alena secure all three spots next year. (Unless Alina, as defending champion, is somehow guaranteed a return? Not sure how RusFed handles this.) I mean, we all saw how Russian Nationals played out, so this isn't purely hypothetical.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
All hail the glorious Russian women!!!

To think I was so terrified they would lose 3 spots they end up with 2 medals instead. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

Shout out to Sofia as well!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Hats off to RusFed. I was wrong about them, I admit. They knew their stuff when they pushed Medvedeva for Worlds team.

Especially because a couple of mistakes from Liza would simply bury her like what happened to Sofia--which still competed greatly, but she has no GOE or PCS advantage over the rest. I won't discuss the validity of the scores and how they change from skater to skater, but you gotta choose the best for the competition, and Medvedeva was it for this one.

neusw

On the Ice

Clearly much more goes on behind the scenes than we fans realize. I'm guessing they'd also been monitoring Zhenya's progress before they pushed her to the top at Russian Cup.

neusw

On the Ice
The crazy thing is that it's not out of the realm of possibility that this could be the last time we see Alina and Zhenya in Worlds, even with three spots secured for Russia next year. I'm not saying they won't be back, but it's not inconceivable, for example, that Sasha, Anna, and Alena secure all three spots next year. (Unless Alina, as defending champion, is somehow guaranteed a return? Not sure how RusFed handles this.) I mean, we all saw how Russian Nationals played out, so this isn't purely hypothetical.

It's entirely possible, and even *likely*. That's the scary part. It will all come down to which of the high risk, high reward girls hits on the night of Russian nationals.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Clearly much more goes on behind the scenes than we fans realize. I'm guessing they'd also been monitoring Zhenya's progress before they pushed her to the top at Russian Cup.

I can totally imagine that. They do it with everyone.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
It's entirely possible, and even *likely*. That's the scary part. It will all come down to which of the high risk, high reward girls hits on the night of Russian nationals.

Which really drives home the point that the ISU and Olympics really need to change their selection methodologies ASAP. It will be an insult to figure skating fans, figure skaters, and the sport itself not to have the truly best skaters in the world competing at these events. I'm sorry, but giving Bulgaria, Slovenia, and Brazil (not to pick on them specifically) spots at the expense of truly showcasing the best skaters in the world is a travesty and farce.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Which really drives home the point that the ISU and Olympics really need to change their selection methodologies ASAP. It will be an insult to figure skating fans, figure skaters, and the sport itself not to have the truly best skaters in the world competing at these events. I'm sorry, but giving Bulgaria, Slovenia, and Brazil (not to pick on them specifically) spots at the expense of truly showcasing the best skaters in the world is a travesty and farce.

I disagree. For me the selection process that we have now, is the happy medium that I appreciate and enjoy. While I like seeing the best of the best, I appreciate variety at the same time. Variety of both nationality and level. It gives a casual viewer a nice perspective of how difficult this sport really is. Sorry, but I'm in the camp 'I vote for keeping the status quo'. An imaginary Worlds where one half of the Ladies were Russians, and the other Americans and Japanese, would become boring to me. I don't think I would enjoy it as much as I do the current events. We've got the GP for the elite skaters, and I think it's fair that way.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
I disagree. For me the selection process taht we have now, is the happy medium that I appreciate and enjoy. While I like seeing the best of the best, I appreciate variety at the same time. Variety of both nationality and level. It gives a casual viewer a nice perspective of how difficult this sport really is. Sorry, but I'm in the camp 'I vote for keeping the status quo'. An imaginary event where one half were Russians, the other Americans and Japanese, would become boring to me. I don't think I would enjoy it as much as I do the current events.

Boring? In my opinion, Russian Nationals was hands down the most exciting event in figure skating this past season, in large part because it showcased more talent than any other event the whole season. Boring to me is this...https://d.pr/i/97sVgy.

To be clear, this isn't about showing preference to Russia or Japan or anyone else. This is about showing preference and respect to the best figure skaters in the world, who work their tails off their entire lives and rightfully deserve these spots. And it's about putting on the best possible show for fans, too.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Alina on winning the world title and also winning all the major titles as a Junior and senior by the age of 16. That is historic and unprecedented.

I also think Eteri is pretty happy she gave Alina a second chance 3 years ago. ;)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Russian girls 1+3+8=12 Surely that should be enough for 4 spots next year...:)
4 spots? I think there is a way you should be able to earn four spots per country just like you can earn three spots per country or lose three spots and go to two. I like the idea of a merit-based system combined with a lot of countries being represented even the smaller countries. That should be doable for the ISU.

SummerInDublin

Spectator

There are too much competition between Russians now, I am really worried about next year... There are Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya coming from juniors, there are beautiful Zhenya and Alina, there is Sonya. Not to say about Stasya and Liza. And there are some girls who would be a great asset to any figure skating federation but who are not famous internationally - Gubanova, Gulyakova.

Kittosuni

Medalist
With the stack ladies on the Russian side, usually consistency is the name of the game.

With Medvedeva's success here, do you guys think skate offs for the favorites who do poorly in nationa//early season will be more often especially with Kostarnaii and Trusova moving up next year?

starla16

Medalist
quick ones about endorsements

Med has Nike, Trusova has Adidas, Zagitova has Puma
poor Alena and Anna dont get any especially Alena ?